Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Tie breaker! Which is the best movie character of all time?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sarah Connor (Terminator films)

16 61.54%
  • Freddy Krueger (A Nightmare on Elm Street)

10 38.46%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BMCOAT - TIE BREAKER! Round 2, Group A

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default BMCOAT - TIE BREAKER! Round 2, Group A

Sarah Connor ( Terminator 2 )

Freddy Krueger (A Nightmare On Elm Street)

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

all you know how to create is death...

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Voted for Sarah...not because I think she's so great but because I think Freddie is so bad.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yar. There are great characters who are monsters and villians, but he's just overblown.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

How's the knee?
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Shut up, shut up, shut up! It's all your fault! MF'r its all your fault!

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

That's absolutely why I voted: to help keep Freddy out. While there are some excellent characters from horror movies which could be considered for the BMCOAT, I don't think that Freddy is one of them.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think Freddy Krueger is an EXCELLENT choice for BMCOAT. What you have to remember is that the first film was fundamentally different from what had been seen before. Much like Halloween and Friday the 13th were different from other "horror" films, so was A Nightmare on Elm Street. Sure they're slasher flicks... now. Then, they started that movement in films, and have been imitated in both other films AND in their own sequels/remakes. Fred Krueger was a spooky dude who was very different from the "regular" slasher villain. The "regular" slasher was pretty much a Michael Myers clone (see Jason Vorhees, the original Friday the 13th was the only one to have a really original villain in that series). Freddy was witty, scary, and more lively. Not only that, but he got you in a place where you couldn't run, your dreams.

Don't get me wrong, I think Sarah is a better character. I'm just saying that Freddy absolutely belongs in this poll.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I voted for Freddy.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I think Freddy Krueger is an EXCELLENT choice for BMCOAT. What you have to remember is that the first film was fundamentally different from what had been seen before. Much like Halloween and Friday the 13th were different from other "horror" films, so was A Nightmare on Elm Street. Sure they're slasher flicks... now. Then, they started that movement in films, and have been imitated in both other films AND in their own sequels/remakes. Fred Krueger was a spooky dude who was very different from the "regular" slasher villain. The "regular" slasher was pretty much a Michael Myers clone (see Jason Vorhees, the original Friday the 13th was the only one to have a really original villain in that series). Freddy was witty, scary, and more lively. Not only that, but he got you in a place where you couldn't run, your dreams.

Don't get me wrong, I think Sarah is a better character. I'm just saying that Freddy absolutely belongs in this poll.
    I wholeheartedly disagree. The concept of a dream stalker is cool and innovative: yes; the character of Freddy Kruger himself: no, he's just another serial killer.

Freddy was not unique, but Craven placed him in dreams and since dreams are rarely logical, that gave Craven (and all the franchise directors after him) a lot of room to have really crazy shit happen. Once you (I guess I should say "Once I") separate that concept from the character, he's just another slasher stalking teenagers.

BTW:

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

voted sarah. freddy, though unique, has had his character humilitated by so many films done in such cheesy ways. but like sam said, when this movie, the FIRST MOVIE came out, that shit was supposedly scary as hell.

no fate but what we make - sarah
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree completely Woofer. He IS just another serial killer. Unlike Michael Myers and Jason Vorhees though, it actually makes some sense (in the movie world anyway) of how he keeps coming back. He's. A. Dream. Not some psycho zombie like Jason, not some crazy guy with super strength and invulnerability like Michael, a dream. He was, for me anyway, a horror character that made some sense when it came to sequel time. Easy to resurrect and explain. Just my thoughts though.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I think Freddy Krueger is an EXCELLENT choice for BMCOAT. What you have to remember is that the first film was fundamentally different from what had been seen before. ...
    Norman Bates got only 2 votes in Round 1.

Not just a nightmare, Freddy is the spirit of a dead madman with the power to profoundly affect the real world. For him to always return clearly shows that there is something very wrong with the universe.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by IWasSentWest View Post
    voted sarah. freddy, though unique, has had his character humilitated by so many films done in such cheesy ways. but like sam said, when this movie, the FIRST MOVIE came out, that shit was supposedly scary as hell.

no fate but what we make - sarah
    agreed. i was of the age group targeted by the first film and i can tell you it scared me witless for months!!! it was the dream aspect as opposed to the freddy character but it was also the whole bag. this was a monster preying on kids in their sleep!!!!! then it all went tits up in the sequels which is the biggest shame in the whole film world because freddy became a laughing stock. to me, i still can't bring myself to watch the first one knowing how it scared me so much (and the sad thing is if i watched it now as an adult it would just not have the same effect)

after saying all that - i voted sarah, the character was a much more defined character for me. and she was well hard

My Mood
    Worried

Yeah, it's all a matter of perspective and preference. I'm not really a slasher/serial killer fan anyway. It's probably my least favorite subgenre of horror.

Still, I was only 21 when this came out and I remember finding it hysterical. The jet of blood when Johnny Depp got sucked into the bed had me roaring with laughter.

On the other hand, my then-best friend was terrified. It was the same when we went to see F13 (the original) and Jaws and Halloween and so on.

Then again, when I worked at both university libraries, I used to eat dinner and leaf through the forensics books in fascination. I considered criminology, specifically forensic photography and crime scene reconstruction. However, I was just about to graduate and didn't want to put any extra burden on my parents (who were still helping with college costs, bless them).

I like monsters. Big, scary monsters. Like the Thing in The Thing, the Blob, the alien from Alien, the creature from Relic, the weresheep from Black Sheep, werewolves (you guys had no idea I liked werewolves, eh?), Gojia/Godzilla, Gamera, the monster from The Host, those things in Pitch Black, Rawhead Rex (from Barker's book, not the movie), and so on.

NOTE: I also saw the original TCM in the theater on its second theatrical run.

Man, I love horror.

ETA: In honor of all you Freddy fans, I'm featuring the first three A Nightmare on Elm Street movies on my YT page this weekend.
    Last edited by Woofer; 09-30-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Shut up.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

the girl can handle a gun. she gets my vote just for that.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Sarah Connor advances to the next round!

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Finally someone I voted for is advancing!!!!!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Aren't most horror movie villains just serial killers?
    I like Freddy cause he brought humor into the horror movie world. Just my opinion.
    [no arguments needed]

+ Reply to Thread