It isn't Keanu Reeves I hate. Its the poor execution of a great idea for a movie that rankles me. Sorry Still, I just don't think Matrix was done that well. Sure, the first one is a fun movie...not a bad movie by any stretch. I just think it could have been better. Yes, they could have found a better actor to play Neo but considering the limitations of the script it may as well have been Reeves as well as anyone else. As far as acting was concerned, the shiniest parts of that movie (or any of the three) were the parts with Agent Smith in them. But Weaving has the kind of gravitas that elevates the lines he's speaking and makes them sound special.

About Keanu Reeves, an actor like Reeves has his uses. He can play certain parts quite well. And you're right that Speed was a good movie. But thats the kind of thing he should stick to...the Speeds and the Point Breaks. If its going to be something that requires depth or range...no. He was also good in My Own Private Idaho but again, his character was pretty shallow. The depth of feeling in that movie came from River Phoenix.