Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunslingers Gun of Choice?

Gunslinger Apprentice towerguard is on a distinguished road towerguard's Avatar

Picking up this today. I'm pretty pumped.
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? - Franz Kafka

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Too bad my company's firewall is blocking it...I hope thats an awesome White Box With Red X In The Middle in 40 caliber.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice Jonn Wolfe is on a distinguished road Jonn Wolfe's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I used a Surplus 1911/1A when I was in the service. Still remember how to break it down and clean all the bits too.

I have a (weird German brand that I can't remember at the moment) knock off of a Colt "cowboy style" gun. It's a .22 cal. Never fired.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

If I was to own a semi-auto it'd be a 1911 or a SIG P226. My only complaint about 1911's is their limited mag capacity. Which is why I'd probably go with a P226 in .40. For a regular carry gun I'm sticking with my Ruger Redhawk Alaskan in .45.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's my favorite weapon. When I was in the service it was the standard MP weapon, and I carried one for 3 years.
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

Gunslinger Apprentice Jonn Wolfe is on a distinguished road Jonn Wolfe's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    My only complaint about 1911's is their limited mag capacity.
    Well, you don't really need all that many bullets when a .40 cal goes through someone.

Thing is, if I buy a semi-auto I want more than just a 7 bullet capacity. Anyway the new double action .45 Ruger Redhawk is the one I'm buying.
    Last edited by Wuducynn; 09-08-2008 at 07:14 PM.

Here's my baby -

I'll probably buy two of them.

One who came back Malficeus is on a distinguished road Malficeus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

m44 beside my bed is the best "how you doing" to a midnight guest

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985
    -"We have two companies of MARINES running all over this island and thousands of ARMY troops doing nothing!" -GEN. JOHN VESSEY, CHAIRMAN OF JOINT CHIEFS

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

This is my home protection...

It was inexpensive, takes very little maintenance, works well in close quarters combat, and most importantly, its always loaded.

Yeah, knives are good. But try stopping someone from a distance who is a lot bigger than you with it. It looks great in the movies but doesn't work so well in real life

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not talking about throwing the thing. A few things to consider; in the first place most burglars do not carry guns. If I did have a gun I would have to have it pretty much neutralized because of the pair of small curous hands I have running around. If you're attacked in your home its unlikely it would be a situation where you'd have an opportunity to get to whatever weapon you might have anyway. If I did have the time to react to a home invasion my knife is ready, not locked away somewhere. If I do have the opportunity its likely going to be a situation where I know someone is in the house and I can create a situation where they're close to me...especially in the confines of my house.

In my house, they'd have have a hard time getting to distance. There are only two places where an assailant would be far enough away from me to get off a shot before I got to him and this combat would take place in the dark. I know my house, he doesn't. He might be surprised and panicky. Even if he isn't this doesn't change the equation that much simply because its so unikely that I would confront an assailant in either of these two places.

Sure, in the hands of someone thats really comfortable with weapons and combat a gun is much better but I'm betting that this wouldn't be the guy thats breaking into my house. The calibur of person I'm considering usually has better things to do.

I'm not saying I wouldn't own a gun. I just don't feel that a gun is practical in my situation.

A. You can never be sure that an assailant doesn't have a gun. Do you want to leave it up to a stastic you heard? Or would you rather be safe?

B. About the kids. Yeah that is an issue, but plenty of folk have kids and guns and do just fine. I was one of them.

C. You always keep a gun somewhere easy to reach of course and safe from the little kids until they get old enough to know not to touch them.

D. Again, you're making a lot of ASS umptions. I would rather know that I can take out some burglar or other assailant than think "Oh he probably doesn't have a gun anyway"

E. Your knife is great, but it still is closed quarters combat and it is much better to stop someone from a distance. Much less mischief to have to deal with.

Cozener's typing out War and Peace in reply...

* waits patiently*

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I admit that I'm playing the odds. I'm betting that its far more likely, no matter what precautions I take, that one of my sons will kill themselves with the gun (either by accident or because of some future teenage depression issue), than it is that someone bent on murder and mayhem would enter my house.

I'm also betting that if I got extraordinarilly lucky just in knowing that there was someone in the house before it was too late and then beating even worse odds by having the opportunity to get to my weapon (even if it is close) that combat would be close quarters combat.

(see that wasn't War and Peace!)

Yeah but --->

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

That is beside the point!

Shut up and type out some more Dark Tower fan fic.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey I just might do that. I was actually considering doing a few shorts like that, telling the storiessome of the last gunslingers, the ones that Roland alludedthat went on the quest that died off, abandoned the quest, etc. (and I can't remember where he talked about it, I think it was in book 2, maybe you can help me with that)

Maybe do a story of Burning Chris fighting Farson

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Who is Burning Chris? Is he in the comics? I haven't read them yet. I was waiting for the last one to come out. Was going to just get the big graphic novel after it was all done. Or is it done?

Its done and should be read by any Tower Junkie..but no, Burning Chris is Christopher Johns nickname, Alain Johns's Father. *slap!*

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah I had no idea. I'll definately grab it posthaste.

Its mentioned in Wizard and Glass that, that was his nickname..it would be a wicked interesting DT fan fic to tell how he got it.

Anyway...bringing this thread back on topic...Cozener, have you fired any guns before and if you were going to buy one, what would it be?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast