Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: When did you meet Roland? How many years ago? How old were you?

Gunslinger Apprentice Cuthbert Allbad is on a distinguished road Cuthbert Allbad's Avatar

Came upon The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger upon it's 1st publication. Hated it and never picked up the other books. Gave 1st edition HC to library years ago. Oh how i wish i still had it.

My son showed an interest in the books and i'd be damned if i let my son out read me.

Read the entire series and loved, loved, loved it. I cannot remember any other time that i have finished a series and have been haunted by numerous thoughts about it. I even find my self going back and re-reading certain paragraphs and lines that packed an emotional punch for me.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chassit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I know it, that was a harsh wait. The first four books were something you had to be totally dedicated to.

I almost forgot about them between DoTT and WaG
    You speak true.
    Yesyes.
    When I could read WoC at last I read it very quickly and after that I reread the whole series again from the first book to WoC.
    I did that at least once between each books publication.

Roland would have understood.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I don't.
    It was good to wait... painful... but sooo good. (Yeah I am a pervert.)
    Wait a second Letti, how old are you? Aren't you 19 or 20? You couldn't have waited between the books long could you? Oh and we know you're a pervert, it's one of the reasons we love you!
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthbert Allbad View Post
    Came upon The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger upon it's 1st publication. Hated it and never picked up the other books. Gave 1st edition HC to library years ago. Oh how i wish i still had it.

My son showed an interest in the books and i'd be damned if i let my son out read me.

Read the entire series and loved, loved, loved it. I cannot remember any other time that i have finished a series and have been haunted by numerous thoughts about it. I even find my self going back and re-reading certain paragraphs and lines that packed an emotional punch for me.
    Something tells me that is one library book that has been stolen sometime in those years.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post

I don't.
    It was good to wait... painful... but sooo good. (Yeah I am a pervert.)
    Wait a second Letti, how old are you? Aren't you 19 or 20? You couldn't have waited between the books long could you? Oh and we know you're a pervert, it's one of the reasons we love you!
    Depends on what you mean by long and never forget I am from Hungary and we got the books many years later you had got them. Just to tell you one example the last book hasn't been published yet here in Hungary so who can't speak English has so chance to know the end. (Anyway they are working on it..)
    When I finished WaG I was about 12... or maybe less and I was about 19 when I could hold WoC in my hands.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Wow, 12 hunh? Impressive, MOST impressive
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, 12 hunh? Impressive, MOST impressive
    Huh?

Letti most 12 year olds don't read books like the Dark Tower series. It's impressive.

Hell I found the Dark Tower series when I was 14 and I was confused by it at the time, excited and mind-blown, but definitely some of the concepts in it was hard for me to grasp at the time.

Country
    Country Flag

Letti most 12 year olds don't read books like the Dark Tower series. It's impressive.
    I was an odd kid. Not clever or something but odd.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default When you first saw...

The first time I'd ever read The Dark Tower was at my aunts place, in the woods in Northern Ontario. They have a bunk house above the boathouse. I went in there to get some and was struck with a certain reminiscense of the experience. Recalling my young mind showing pictures of (can't remember the weed eaters name for the life of me) dead, choking on his own vomit. It was one of the first adult books I'd read.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

mattrick, you've been merged.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

i was 12 years old the first time i picked up the gunslinger. i started reading it on a flight to italy with my buddy to visit his dad in firenze.

i was into the book immediately, realizing it was different than anything else King had written. It was the beginning of an epic with no end in sight. i loved roland, even though some of his actions were cold and dickish. but he was a unique character, and i became drawn to him and his mysterious quest. Once i got to the last chapter at the Golgotha, I had to have more.

As soon as i returned from Italy I went to the library and picked up 2 and 3, and the DT needle was in my vein.

i was trapped on Blaine with most of you for years until the miracle announcement of a fourth installment made its way into the world.

sorry this went on so long.

Gunslinger Apprentice Harrald is on a distinguished road Harrald's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it was around 87. I was in my early 20's. At the time I was riding the subway (in NYC) to work every day 6 days a week. That came out to almost 1.5 hours a day to read. I was going through books almost 2 a week. As soon as I finished the first book I went looking for number 2. It wasn't out and I remember waiting. Only one other fellow I knew was reading the series and we were both bummed when number 3 was no where in site.

Over the years I moved and began driving to work so my reading time dropped to an hour a week at best. I read up to Wolves and stopped in the middle. I think it was "Andy" that annoyed me enough to stop.

A couple of years ago the most unlikely person I work with told me he goes to the library and rents books on CD for his trips to Florida. I mentioned this to my wife and she bought me an inexpensive book on CD ( a Sherlock Holmes story) I have been addicted ever since.

As I've rented books I've always thought about the DT series. Wolves still sits on my night table as a reminder. I ordered "The Gunslinger" and started all over again.

So in answer to the questions. (boy am I long winded)

Around 1987
    about 20ish years ago
    I was about 21-22 years old

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I was near the age of 14. It's like king said.
    Spoiler:
    Even though Jake ages only two years in the time we know him, it took nearly 20 years to tell the tale

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Harrald View Post
    I think it was around 87. I was in my early 20's. At the time I was riding the subway (in NYC) to work every day 6 days a week. That came out to almost 1.5 hours a day to read. I was going through books almost 2 a week. As soon as I finished the first book I went looking for number 2. It wasn't out and I remember waiting. Only one other fellow I knew was reading the series and we were both bummed when number 3 was no where in site.

Over the years I moved and began driving to work so my reading time dropped to an hour a week at best. I read up to Wolves and stopped in the middle. I think it was "Andy" that annoyed me enough to stop.

A couple of years ago the most unlikely person I work with told me he goes to the library and rents books on CD for his trips to Florida. I mentioned this to my wife and she bought me an inexpensive book on CD ( a Sherlock Holmes story) I have been addicted ever since.

As I've rented books I've always thought about the DT series. Wolves still sits on my night table as a reminder. I ordered "The Gunslinger" and started all over again.

So in answer to the questions. (boy am I long winded)

Around 1987
    about 20ish years ago
    I was about 21-22 years old
    Wow.
    Does it mean that you haven't finished the series yet because of Andy?
    I couldn't stand him anyway.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow indeed, glad I put that in spoilers

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I've finished the books. I just took a two year break because of Andy.

Wow.

Andy is my favorite robot.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I see, then I didn't need the spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    Oh, I see, then I didn't need the spoiler
    It helps to quote someone if your replying directly to let others know that you're replying to someone.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Harrald View Post
    I've finished the books. I just took a two year break because of Andy.

Wow.
    Oh I see. Sorry for the sutpid question.
    And was it easy to restart or was it hard to get the end of the Andy parts?

Andy is my favorite robot.
    Do you know many?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm pretty confused. Did I post something I shouldn't have?

Do you know many?
    Every other person I know is a robot..

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Do you know many?
    Every other person I know is a robot..
    You have my pitty

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast