Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: When did you meet Roland? How many years ago? How old were you?

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i had already read the stand and the shining and salems lot....but when i read gunslinger it was a total different book from king i was 15...i always loved westerns and sci fi and it came together perfect.......i read till wizard and the glass and took a hiatus.....maybe i wasn't mature enough but when i came back and finished it in 4 months 17 years later....starting back from w&g ......i was back in love with the series and hooked

1993 is when i caught the bug i think ....i am a wed head ...should be close enough

I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go INSANE, and I'm not responsible for what I do

Malcolm X

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

i started the series when wizard and glass came out in paperback. me and my mother were shopping at the local grocery store and saw it there. she was like "hmmm i need that book." when we found out it was part of the series she was then like "well lets look for the others first" wouldn't you know that a few days later at the local flea market we found the other three all together for about 5 bucks. i was pregnant with my daughter at the time and she is now almost 15.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Cowboy from Hell Myste is on a distinguished road Myste's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It seems that I haven't answered this question... Well then, when Roland entered into my head (world) I was either 14 or 15. Can't be 100% sure 'cause he messed my head
    I had just read my first King books (Diffirent seasons / finnish edition is 2 books) and I walked in the local library. And there it was new... and shiny... The Gunslinger!! You know it was late as 1992 till we got finnish translation of the first Tower book!! Well, anyway, I haven't been the same after that

“The devil's voice is sweet to hear.”
    -SK.

Traveler Hadeel is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I first met Roland in the school library... i had heard of SK and wanted to see what he's all about. My school library is quite pathetic, i found only volume 2 and 3 of the series and so i read these first. i bought the rest of the books. i was 13 and i was head-over-heels in love with Roland, i thought he was HOt!!
    i read all the 7 books in 3 weeks but only because i had mid-term exams

John F. Kennedy echoRacer is on a distinguished road echoRacer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I first encountered the Gunslinger while on holidays in Queensland, Australia (i'm originally from NSW if anyone was wondering), i went to the book store to find a interesting series to read, and the cover of the Gunslinger caught my eye. Needless to say i knew of King's reputation as a writer, and decided to pick it up. I was tossing up between the Gunslinger and another book, and in the end i trusted my judgement and bought the Gunslinger.

One of the best decisions i've made. Ka, if you will
    I recently got back from another holiday in Queensland, and have begun re-reading the series
    Just as good, if not better, the second time around

(i was 16)

Traveler Tao43 is on a distinguished road

I first encountered Roland in my local comic shop when the first issue of Gunslinger Born came out. I was picking up my usual stash of books and saw it on the shelf. Saw Stephen King's name and that Peter David and Jae Lee were the creators, and was hooked. I had always been a fan of Clint Eastwood's westerns, so I picked it up. Can't remember exactly what year that was, so I'll guess and say I was in my early 30's.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

echoRacer, Tao thank you for sharing your stories with us
    Welcome to the site. The more DT junkies are out there and better this world becomes that's what I say.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you, sai Letti, i joined the site a while ago while i was reading the series for the first time, and now that i'm rereading it i've decided to actually start posting

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My sister bought me the whole series 3 years ago when I was 25! It feels weird that there was a time when DT wasn't part of my world. It seems like somehting Tower related crosses my mind every day even if only briefly.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sickrose, your sister rocks.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    She certainly does. I now want to share them with her and encourage her to read them.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sickrose View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    She certainly does. I now want to share them with her and encourage her to read them.
    :faints: You mean she hasn't read them yet?

Country
    Country Flag

No, she hasn't. I was surprised she bought them because I didn't know much about the Dark Tower series. i am seeing her tomorrow I will let you guys know how it goes on the have you converted anyone thread... I might head over there no for some tips.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sickrose View Post
    No, she hasn't.
    That's very interesting. And is she a SK fan?
    I hope you can convince her sooner or later.

Country
    Country Flag

She hasn't read any Sk at all!! I have always been a huge SK fan but for some reason the Dark Tower hadn't really registered on my radar. Then Naomi just bought the whole lot as a Christmas present for me. I am so glad she did I would have missed out on so much.

I wonder if anyone else on here had a silimar experience whereby they hadn't intended on reading DT but ended up doing so.

i hope I can convince her too!

Traveler Aylania is on a distinguished road Aylania's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was about 16 when I first met Roland and The Dark Tower. I was actually given the 3rd book first, The Waste Lands and to this day it's still my favourite.

After reading from book 1, I devoured them all as quickly as I could. It even influenced my artwork for a long time. I'd have images of the Tower, of the characters in my own mind's eye. Of Roland.

That number 19 cropped up again as I was about that age when the final book came out. It was quite bittersweet really, I didn't want it all to end. Still, I have the comics to keep me entertained
    "...Don't cry
    --the best gesture of my brain is less than
    your eyelids' flutter which says
    we are for eachother: then
    laugh, leaning back in my arms
    for life's not a paragraph
    And death i think is no parenthesis"

E.E.Cummings

Country
    Country Flag

Aylania, we would be interested in your artwork.

Traveler TheCultLeader is on a distinguished road TheCultLeader's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just met him three days ago and I just finished The Gunslinger a few hours ago. I found The Gunslinger Born collection in the bargain section and read the first issue in the store. I was hooked instantly. I then decided I might as well pick up the box set of the first four novels. Possibly the best impulse buy I've ever made. The only other SK books I have read are Carrie and Firestarter and that was many years ago. I will be 23 in a few days.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

best impulse buy ever cultleader

welcome to the site, beware spoilers though!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks candy. Yeah, I won't be looking at many threads until I finish the series.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TheCultLeader View Post
    I just met him three days ago and I just finished The Gunslinger a few hours ago.
    Wow, hooked on it, am I right? Welcome to the site.
    And yes, please be careful here. You may meet spoilers everywhere.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Letti. Yes, I am totally hooked. I'm currently blazing through The Drawing of the Three. Today I bought the remaining three novels in the series as well as the other graphic novel collections. The next couple of months should be great!

Country
    Country Flag

That's brilliant, CultLeader, enjoy them!!

a rose, a key, a door

Traveler jwill is on a distinguished road jwill's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This may make me a big time newbie and i may be one but i started my quest for the Tower only three yrs ago (at the age o 19). After reading a few stephen king books i was told to read swan song by robert mccammon. After finishing it (and loving it) i wanted somithing kind of apocalytic and i liked westens anyways. So i asked a librarian at the gresham, oregon library and walked me over to the stephen king section ,and i is thinking "my god lady i could kiss you right now", and then she handed me the gunslinger and told me it was what i was looking for. Thats how i got started on the path of the beam.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jwill View Post
    This may make me a big time newbie and i may be one but i started my quest for the Tower only three yrs ago (at the age o 19). After reading a few stephen king books i was told to read swan song by robert mccammon. After finishing it (and loving it) i wanted somithing kind of apocalytic and i liked westens anyways. So i asked a librarian at the gresham, oregon library and walked me over to the stephen king section ,and i is thinking "my god lady i could kiss you right now", and then she handed me the gunslinger and told me it was what i was looking for. Thats how i got started on the path of the beam.
    Thats a fantastic story - I love this bit
    ''she handed me the gunslinger and told ne it was what I was looking for
    i think we can all indentify.

Welcome

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast