Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: When did you meet Roland? How many years ago? How old were you?

Gunslinger Apprentice CrimsonMordred is on a distinguished road CrimsonMordred's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was in 9th grade, so....I was 15 years old when I first met Roland Deschain. It was Drawer of the Three. That was 8 years ago so it was 2002. So lucky me I only had to wait 2 years for Wolves of the Calla!

Traveler Retrospectiv is on a distinguished road Retrospectiv's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm another of those who met Roland early on, and had the endure the painful waits between books.

I started with The Drawing of the Three as a young teen (13/14), and went back and read the Gunslinger. I caught The Wastelands as it hit PB and then read the books as they came out. One grouling wait after the next!

I've just recently gone back and done some re-reading. Finished Wizard & Glass again today. I'd not read it in probably 5 years and I've now decided it's my favorite DK book. I became engrossed in the imagery of Roland's past. Mejis, horses on the drop, reap charms...... I sooooo hope that Wind Through the Keyhole delves back into that time and covers some of the stories Roland mentions near the end of W&G that he must tell, but never does.

I've heard that the comics do cover much of the territory left out of the books, so I ordered the 1st two full volumes in HC today. Frankly, I just need another fix. I wasn't ready to leave Mid-World just yet

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Retrospectiv View Post
    I'm another of those who met Roland early on, and had the endure the painful waits between books.
    Painful but still sweet somehow. Or at least that's how I feel when I look back.

Roland would have understood.

Traveler tabbydeschain is on a distinguished road tabbydeschain's Avatar

I started reading the first book when I met my exboyfriend. I was 15.
    He told me about it and how awesome it is; and that he learned a lot while reading it. After the Gunslinger I broke up and started The Drawing of the three when I was 16.
    I was totally catched by the story. Then, I started smoking pot with 17...I never read a book high, but the 4th book wolves of the calla was a totally new experience. I learned a lot reading this books, ...I loved and love it! I often think about the whole story and the meaning of all this. I really think that the universe is endless and that makes me pretty ....happy. The best written books of all time...and hey, someday I would like to be a writer )
    Thanks to Sai King.
    Long days and pleasant nights guys

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Welcome to the site, tabbydeschain!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was 15 and I saw a Stephen King book called the gunslinger and I had to pick it up. I read the first line and was instantly hooked. It has been the case ever since, this book defined my remaining teenage years as I was on my own personal quest to finish the books. and when i finally did i was satisfied more than i could ever express. this has been one of the few book series where i actually was emotional invested in everything going on.
    If you love me then love me..

John F. Kennedy hoin1585 is on a distinguished road hoin1585's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When I was 13 In 2007, I found that I had to wait the sequel of The Demonata series by Darren Shan for a half year, and I couldn't read only two books for every whole year, then Darren Shan wrote a recommended sequence for a series called The Dark Tower and its cover and title were really cool, so I bought it. I love it from 1 to 7, especially for 2.
    LOVE + PEACE = INFORMATION

Traveler rom19 is on a distinguished road

io mi sono innamorato della torre nera a 14 anni the story of dark tower is perfect.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to the site, rom19.

Gunslinger Apprentice arrawyn is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

i just found out about it a few months ago (shock, horror), not counting the time that my husband pointed the books out to me a few years ago apparently . I haven't read any SK for quite a few years really, so the DT series is the first of his books for a long time and i forgot how great a writer he is! So, I got The Gunslinger out of the Library a few months back, but i'm going to now buy a copy so I have them all. As i've said in my intro, i just finished WaG (yesterday!) and will go out and buy 5, 6,7 (and 1) tomorrow!

I don't understand how I could not have found out about the DT sooner! very strange. i would've thought i'd've come across it in highschool during my SK phase... I read Eye of the Dragon at the time too i remember...

Traveler The Dark Man is on a distinguished road The Dark Man's Avatar

I first met Roland Two years three months and 25 days ago. I was 23.

Gunslinger Apprentice Riostar is on a distinguished road Riostar's Avatar

I started reading SK when I was about 12/13. I didnt read DT untill me boyfriend at the time told me about the series. i was about 19/20. I had book 2 and tried to read it and it didnt make any sense so I shelved it. Then my bf told me there was a 1st book, so I found it and read it and speed through the first 4 books. Its one of the greatest series I've ever read. I even got my 1st visible tattoo because of it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Riostar View Post
    I started reading SK when I was about 12/13. I didnt read DT untill me boyfriend at the time told me about the series. i was about 19/20. I had book 2 and tried to read it and it didnt make any sense so I shelved it. Then my bf told me there was a 1st book, so I found it and read it and speed through the first 4 books. Its one of the greatest series I've ever read. I even got my 1st visible tattoo because of it.
    Well I started with the 2nd book, too (I had no idea it was a series) but it didn't bother me at all. Moreover I fell in love with it forever.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I started with DTII the first time too because I couldn't get my hands on the first book back then.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I started with DTII the first time too because I couldn't get my hands on the first book back then.
    I guess it didn't bother you much.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

For me it was 1982. I had a first edition HC/DJ that I now have no idea what happened to, and only recently purchased one for my collection many years and $$$$ later!!!

I read the books as they came out over that agonizing 20+ year period, enduring the "I don't know when or if the next book will come out" comments , etc.

I guess I was 22-23 at the time I started reading it. Didn't appreciate the end until the second time through and still have issues with certain plot-lines
    Spoiler:
    (Calvin's) and character death's (Flagg/The Crimson King EEEEEE!!!)
    , but I'm OK with the end now.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I guess it didn't bother you much.
    Oh, it drove me totally crazy that I couldn't get my hands on the gunslinger, but DotT changed my life.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I was 11/12 and just randomly picked it up. How lucky I was! Good thing I like ravens, as that was the sole reason the version of The Gunslinger I have caught my eye on the display table at Barnes and Nobel. I suppose it was around 2002...so right around the time Wolves of the Calla was out...not too much waiting for me, thank God! I wait enough for that damned Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin to keep me perfectly insane...

John F. Kennedy SolomonsGal will become famous soon enough SolomonsGal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I jumped onto the bandwagon (and this website) late in the series and in life. I was 32.

Discovered the books last February (2015) while living in Qatar. I only had my iPad to read English literature ( good English language books were hard to come by). I had read a few SK books and wanted to feel the way SK makes me feel, so I researched his books. Being an LOTR fan the Tower was right up my alley! I read the first two books in a few weeks and then had to stop because I started feeling funny- like the way I do when I do too many crossword puzzles. (I don't know how to describe it but it's a weird feeling).

Two months ago I decided I NEEEDED to continue with the series so I picked up The Wasteland, then Wizard and Glass, then the Wind Through the Keyhole, and I'm 200 pages into Wolves of the Calla now.

As I've said before these books have changed my literature life and I talk about them with anyone and everyone I know!

In a way I kind of wish I had to wait 30 years to continue the saga of Roland, but I'm also so glad I can let the series take over my life like they have. It's been so fun. I can't wait until I can give these books to my toddler daughter!

Traveler Recouper will become famous soon enough

My best friend from a short time back, Chtorrwar19 was very passionate about Steven King stories. She would take me on small imaginative journeys as she would sometime reminisce about those stories after we had finished and gotten away from work at night and I was fascinated and wanted more.
    So now, just as of two days ago, I've started The Gunslinger and it's turning out to be quite a journey.
    I'm looking forward to sharing my thoughts and generally talking about it here on the forums.

Along the Path of the Beam Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Thought

Age 17.

I actually started with The Drawing of the Three. Thought it was such a complex setting. Fell in love with Roland, Eddie, Sussanah, Jake and Oy the Brave, of course.

Greg
    Last edited by Eternal Unity; 05-04-2019 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Spelling

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I met Roland in 1990...so 30 years ago!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I met Roland Christmas of 1984 when my mother paid $60 for a 2nd trade edition. She almost bought Cycle of the Werewolf 1st trade but couldn't justify the $100 the book dealer wanted. I still need to get a Cycle.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was 22 (late by many accounts) 17 years ago. I was a restaurant manager in Spain at the time.
    The head chef (amazing guy called Gordon Kitchen) read all 7 books with me. It was one of the greatest summer's of my life. Walking the path of the beam with Roland and his Ka Tet while I was with my own small Is Tet..
    So where some free up with Roland and had long periods to wait in between books, mine was one summer long but burned so brightly...

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

October 1978, probably released late September. I think I was buying them off the newsstand at the time. I was a wee lad of 4 or 5 (in my mind anyway).

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast