Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: When did you meet Roland? How many years ago? How old were you?

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I was 18 years old in 1982, and I visited an antiquarian book store on Newbury Street in Boston called Avenue Victor Hugo. What a great treasure trove of books. I was able to get a first edition hardcover copy of The Gunslinger for $149 - a few years later I won a lottery to purchase a Wastelands limited edition and I was on my way to collecting. Turns out that the attic space above the bookstore was used by a number of the artists who were producing work for Grant's version of The Talisman. Alas they succumbed to the big box book stores.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

According to the note inside my paperback copy, I bought The Gunslinger at the Stars & Stripes Bookstore, Clark Air Base, Republic of the Philippines, Christmas 1989 ... that means I was 23 at the time. My mother had sent me a copy of The Drawing of the Three for Christmas, and since it was the second book in the series I was forced to go out and buy the first.

I guess it all worked out. (<--- Also my mother's and grandmother's name)
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Gunslinger Apprentice Pere Jere will become famous soon enough Pere Jere's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

For me it was just recently in early 2019 (45 years old) when I finally listened to the audio book of The Gunslinger after having purchased it two years prior after listening to and loving The Stand. I liked it but didn’t love it and a few months later I started The Drawing of the Three and quickly got more and more into the series. By the time I was done with Wizard and Glass I was completely obsessed and felt that I had a new favorite book.

I’m not sure why I never gave the series a try before. It could be because my dad didn’t have them and his books introduced me to King; I also kind of remember a feeling of “Stephen King is horror, what’s with this cowboy stuff?” going through my 13-14 year old head as I was getting into him shortly before the release of Book II and judged it by the name alone. I also remember seeing Book VII when it was released and not feeling like tackling something that I had fallen 7 books behind on. I also wasn’t reading at all in that time period.

Oh well, I’m firmly serving the beam now and getting ready to start Book VI for the first time soon 😃.
    Currently looking for:
    ‘salem’s Lot (Illustrated), F/F

Future wishlist:
    Gunslinger, Grant 2nd, F/F
    DT II-IV, Grant 1st, F/F

Along the Path of the Beam ChronoSorcerer will become famous soon enough ChronoSorcerer will become famous soon enough ChronoSorcerer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In 1998, I think. I was 17 years old or so then. I didn't know it was a series BTW. So I was disappointed by the ending of The Gunslinger. Then everything changed for good. What a roller coaster it was, reading the series.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14