Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ka=Gan? **Spoilers, entire series**

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default ka=Gan? **Spoilers, entire series**

I'd like to have a thread for discussion of the nature of ka, and how Gan might be related to it. For example, are those actually two names for the same thing, or not? Does Gan control everything, or what?
    When unexpected things occur, why does Roland attribute them to ka instead of simply saying Gan?
    IMO, if he did say that, some cases would surely raise the thorny subject in religious philosophy which is often called "The Problem of Evil."
    It's a well-known challenge to theologians, thus stated, formally--
    If God is unable to prevent evil, then He is not omnipotent.
    If God is able, but not willing, then He is malevolent.
    If God is both able and willing, then whence cometh evil?
    If God is neither able nor willing, then why call Him God?
    On tdt.net, I proposed that "ka" could be defined as "the limit of the possible," meaning that it is a general term applied to whatever force is prevalent in a given event, and at the same time to the higher force which ensures that it is possible for there to always be some instant, tangible prevalence. As a corollary to that, I later advanced the thought that it could also be described as "the nature of the supernatural world." It now occurs to me that all of that could be simplified into a one word translation-- ka might best be defined by the English word "war."

There is war on Earth because there was first war in heaven. Some believe that God could overcome His opponents at any time, if not that it is not enough for goodness to win quickly; winning in the right way is more important. And so the war goes on, the great war between good and evil. The faith that God will indeed be victorious, or that all is for the best, is just what gives ka its main meaning, of "destiny," IMHO.

The lines in DT7 about opposing kinds of ka in conflict over the life of King provide some illustration of this outlook.

Your thoughts, folken?

Traveler Vladykin1989 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

как оказалось не зря=)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for posting. What's it mean?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

it is encoded the way I can't read

spam?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Well maybe it's the true answer and we're just not evolved enough to understand it, yet!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! ALIENS!!

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe its Gan
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It just seems to me that the core idea of ka is trying to do right, doing your best and gambling that it'll be enough when you have no other way to know what else to do in a world at war.
    Isn't that the basic essence of any faith?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes, but the word "any" is the key word here: surely not all kinds of faith are the same, and not all of them are true

at some level of abstraction, everything is alike, and the more specific we get, the more differences

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Which is conflict.

War => Uncertainty => Faith => Specifics => Differences => War => Uncertainty => Faith => Specifics => Differences => War

Ka IS a wheel.

Country
    Country Flag

yes, I too like a little sophism time to time...

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I guess I didn't need to be so melodramatic.

Country
    Country Flag

I don't mind, not in the least.

+ Reply to Thread