Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stephen King Locations

Gunslinger Apprentice Grillslinger is on a distinguished road Grillslinger's Avatar

Default Stephen King Locations

Hey gang....

I'm still looking to make my Stephen King tour for Google Earth as expansive and interesting as possible.

I would love to hear ideas for locations I should include. This can be either a place from King's own life, a place from one of his novels, or a location where any of his movies have been shot.

So far I have: The locations of the real Standpipe, Barrens, Bandstand, Paul Bunyan Statue, UMaine, Bassey Park, The Canal, Bangor IntNat'l Airport, WZON, The Stanley, The Timberline, Thornewood Castle, Crouch End, and the location from the opening of Cell.

I hope to hear some ideas!

Thanks,
    A.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

The real Stanley Hotel, which The Shining is based on, is in Estes Park, Colorado.

King spent time in Boulder, CO as well.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Tons of Colorado stuff.

Don't forget Eisenhower Tunnel

<shudders>

also--I have several pics in the "king landmarks" section of the Gallery
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Matt will NEVER forget the Eisenhower Tunnel.

And Grillslinger, your av cracks me up every time I see it.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Tons of Colorado stuff.

Don't forget Eisenhower Tunnel

<shudders>

also--I have several pics in the "king landmarks" section of the Gallery
    Knew he'd say it

Gunslinger Apprentice Grillslinger is on a distinguished road Grillslinger's Avatar

Okay...I've added The entrance to the tunnel...The Stanley is in there...The Derry Standpipe (actually located in Bangor) is great because someone has made a 3-D model of it that shows up on Google Earth.

I also added Shrevport (where the filming of The Mist took place), Shiloh Chapel (one of King's inspirations for the Marsden House), the lighthouse from the Needful Things movie, Fenway park, and the train tressle from Stand by Me.

Thanks for the feedback, and keep the ideas coming!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Great stuff Grillslinger

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

So are we going to get a link to this thing?

Here you go! I will update the file at the same link as I get more ideas. In the meantime, keep them coming!
    http://thegrillslinger.com/images/mi...enKingTour.kmz
    Enjoy!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

My computer at work does not recognize that link.

I just tested it and it works...perhaps it is a firewall issue. I'll try to email it to you.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure it is, it said I didn't have the program I needed to download it or something.

I will have a look at home, can't wait to see it.

Traveler Oy! is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default How about...

You will have to take some creative liberty with this one, but what if you mapped out some of the routes from "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut"(Skeleton Crew). That was an awesome short story, and if anything, that is what Google Earth really is for!

Along the same lines, where do you think Rock n Roll Heaven("You Know They've Got a Hell of a Band" is, and would you be able to map that?!?

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I reckon "Rock and Roll Heaven" would be in Cleveland. The R&R Hall of Fame.

For an obscure location, from "The Stand," Daleville, Indiana.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Thanks for the suggestons, everyone! I'll put those into the next version!

+ Reply to Thread