Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: King's worst novel?

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Half assed help!!?!!...

Monte, Lisey's Story rocks - I loved it, I'm surprised it gets such a bad press.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Half assed help!!?!!...

Monte, Lisey's Story rocks - I loved it, I'm surprised it gets such a bad press.
    I'm with ya, princess. I am with you all the way.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    I agree, DT books are the best
    This is why I've let you live.
    I was wondering the reason why

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Half assed help!!?!!...

And here I am, to defend Monte's honor!! ...Well, it may be too late for that...but I'm here to defend him nonetheless
    Yeah...what is that? Ok...reluctant help anyway.

Don't worry...I make up my own mind about books. I will get to Lisey's soon but I have this thing about reading in order and Dreamcatcher is next so I have a couple more to go.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

No, its more like...aw bugger it...I can't butter it up

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting review of Lisey's Story:

Stephen King has written about zombies, vampires and the end of the world. He has imagined a killer car, a killer dog, a killer clown and killer cellphones. But when he really wants to put a scare into you, he brings on his most fearsome monster of all, that quivering mass of ego and insecurity known as ... the writer.
    The Rest

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Lisey's Story started out slow, but I put it in my "okay" pile. It turned out to be an interesting story, just not, IMHO, one of his best.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked it In Bag of Bones he dealt with grief from a male point of view, and in Lisey's Story it was from a female point of view. The fragility and vulnerabilities in Lisey's Story were very well woven I think.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I've noticed a lot of folk seem to have a problem with slowness in a story. Is this the ADD in Western society..everything needs to be a soundbite or move along quickly? 9 times out of 10 if I hear a complaint about a book from someone who is below 50 its that "its too slow".
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe because the general consensus in writing is that a good story "grabs" the reader and pull him or her in. Blame the English professors.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

We've been corupted

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Maybe because the general consensus in writing is that a good story "grabs" the reader and pull him or her in. Blame the English professors.
    Whether a story grabs and pull someone doesn't necessarily have anything to do with plot being slow at times. I am very involved in a book like Insomnia or Rose Madder that has slow moments, Insomnia's first half of the book is pretty slow, but I'm still deeply immersed in the book.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed, Insomnia did start slow, but as you said, was a good book

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Whether a story grabs and pull someone doesn't necessarily have anything to do with plot being slow at times. I am very involved in a book like Insomnia or Rose Madder that has slow moments, Insomnia's first half of the book is pretty slow, but I'm still deeply immersed in the book
    No, but if it's slow, and there's not a lot of action, a lot of people tend to equate that with boring.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Some do, that is true

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Whether a story grabs and pull someone doesn't necessarily have anything to do with plot being slow at times. I am very involved in a book like Insomnia or Rose Madder that has slow moments, Insomnia's first half of the book is pretty slow, but I'm still deeply immersed in the book
    No, but if it's slow, and there's not a lot of action, a lot of people tend to equate that with boring.
    And that was my point.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I know what you're saying there Daggers, I'm with CK on this though. For me the lack of plot action didn't equate "boring" because - with Insomnia for example - I loved Ralph's character so much, I was really content just reading about him

And thats one of the reasons I love King so much, his characters are so good, so believable and so likeable/hateable.

Country
    Country Flag

The reasons Insomnia is on my worst list have really nothing to do with it being slow. I found the story more interesting towards the end. The pace was fine, I was just not interested in the characters.

It just didn't have the sweaty, wet donkey anus that you were looking for in a book.

Country
    Country Flag

Damn, did I tell you that already? Yes, that IS the reason.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I've noticed a lot of folk seem to have a problem with slowness in a story. Is this the ADD in Western society..everything needs to be a soundbite or move along quickly? 9 times out of 10 if I hear a complaint about a book from someone who is below 50 its that "its too slow".
    I love slow stories. I always prefer a local story (involving 2 or 3 people) where action takes place within a few days to an epic with such disconcerting bridges as "ten years passed". Among my favorite books are Lucky Jim by Amis and Crome Yellow by Huxley, where nothing happens at all; or Dickens novels. The slower the better. Provided it is entertaining, you see.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss
    The reasons Insomnia is on my worst list have really nothing to do with it being slow. I found the story more interesting towards the end. The pace was fine, I was just not interested in the characters.
    With me it was just the opposite: I loved the characters and was bored by the story, especially towards the end.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I can and have enjoyed books with a languid pace, but boring is boring-any way you try to put it.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

which is, basically, what I was trying to say

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Languid - yeah, thats a good word! Makes me think of a cold beer and a cigarette...but generally on Friday's everything makes me think of a cold beer and a cigarette

In Insomnia in particular I thought the pace was probably quite deliberate. It lent itself to the plot - with the senior citizens gradually becoming more enervated. I also just loved the fact that people over 60 were not just main characters, but heroes in this story. It was a really original concept to me, not something you usually find in popular fiction.

Gunslinger Apprentice Asterisco is on a distinguished road Asterisco's Avatar

Well, I think Dreamcatcher could be King's worst novel. Yes, maybe TGWLTG is worse, but since Dreamcatcher is longer and more pretentious...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast