Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1401

Thread: King's worst novel?

Gunslinger Apprentice Seneschal is on a distinguished road Seneschal's Avatar

The Regulators was pretty damn cheesy. I liked Desperation, but Regulators novel stretched the concept a little too far. some of the things conjured up were just too ridiculous to be even remotely scary or tense, and i found myself not really sharing the plight of the characters at all. it was like a 12 year old kid's nightmare.

someone else mentioned in this thread that the "power rangers on acid" really bothered him. i completely agree. so check this out:

Mighty Morphing Power Rangers debut: 1993
    Regulators release: 1996

I don't find this to be coincidence.
    Time is a face on the water.

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I can barely remember reading the Regulators, but I do remember that I really liked it a lot. I have nothing to base this on though.

Quote Originally Posted by haunted.lunchbox View Post
    I can barely remember reading the Regulators, but I do remember that I really liked it a lot. I have nothing to base this on though.
    did u read Desperation too? i mean, there's a chance you really did like Regulators, but the two stories are about the same entity and Desperation was miles ahead better. at least, in my opinion.

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I read them both, and didn't like Desperation as much as Regulators. The only think I remember about Regulators is the guys going through the town shooting people at the beginning. I was a teen when I read it.

ahhh, i gotcha...

yea, actually the first like 100 pages or so is really good and very fast-paced. the opening scene is very well contrived.

after that it kinda gets plain silly.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

"Faithful" For what should be obvious reasons!!!!!!!!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I was right about Gerald's Game and someone mentioned that it's somewhat similar to The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Sure, but it's nowhere close to being as good as TGWLTG. It seems like it simply tries to hard. She's laying there for 200 pages going nuts... no thanks. I looked over those 200 pages and continued reading where she's 'ungloving.'

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved Gerald's Game. The reason where there is 200 pages of her cuffed is to help the reader get into the mindset. You can't possibly get into it in 3 pages.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I know that. The thing is I didn't care for her mindset. I read the first 60 pages and then skimmed through the rest. For me, it seemed to drag and drag and drag.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
    did u read Desperation too? i mean, there's a chance you really did like Regulators, but the two stories are about the same entity and Desperation was miles ahead better. at least, in my opinion.
    Leagues better.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
    Leagues better.
    Yes.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Along the Path of the Beam Rice Dancer is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Cynical

Anything recent.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Faithful!!!!!

Dammit!!!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Faithful!!!!!

Dammit!!!!! LOL LOL
    Never read it. Maybe I should not

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Traveler Son of Paul is on a distinguished road Son of Paul's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Full Dark, No Stars, though not a novel, registers somewhere on my list. The short stuff was always the one area I had no doubts about with King. Even his endings, which I tend to find rushed, or ultimately deemed unimportant by King, always seem to come out right with novellas or short stories. These, though, really didn't do it for me. King has commented upon his shorter works crying out to be novels before, and it seems like this might be a case of him not giving in when he should have. Not that the ideas themselves could have carried a novel-sized story, but the writing itself kept trying to expand, and he rushed through it all stubborn like.

Or I'm developing a disdain for all his newer stuff. I actually commented elsewhere, ahead of time, that I was worried I'd be disappointed. Still, I try and remain objective, because I do wish to be entertained. Why else, right?

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Strange how tastes differ. I liked DESPERATION, THE REGULATORS, and GERALD'S GAME (the only book that had a passgae that actually made me queasy), but I really disliked THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON. I KIND of agree with the comments about recent works, but I did like CELL quite a bit. Can't comment on UTD or BILLY or FULL DARK yet, since I am always a year or two behind in my reading and haven't gotten to them yet.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Strange how tastes differ. I liked DESPERATION, THE REGULATORS, and GERALD'S GAME (the only book that had a passgae that actually made me queasy), but I really disliked THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON. I KIND of agree with the comments about recent works, but I did like CELL quite a bit. Can't comment on UTD or BILLY or FULL DARK yet, since I am always a year or two behind in my reading and haven't gotten to them yet.
    I liked Desperation but not The Regulators and also liked The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and Cell. Loved UTD. That and Duma Key have been the best in a long time for me. The two that I really disliked a ton are Gerald's Game and Lisey's Story. Neither one appealed to me at all. I have not read BILLY or FDNS yet so I can't comment on those. I think it's cool how everyone has different tastes. It's interesting to hear other people's thoughts. Sometimes I even go back and try a book or story again because of them!

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Yes, I plan on re-reading some of the books I disliked some day, with the exception of LISEY'S STORY. Words do not exist to describe how much I disliked that book. I will never, ever EVER eat Hamburger Helper again!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Cynical

I just find his lack of character development to be really disappointing in his recent stuff. I never care about any of the characters which makes me not care about the story.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

As I have posted here before THE TOMMYKNOCKERS is for me the worst SK novel ever for me. It is the only one that I can say that I totally HATE!!! That book is the most long winded snooze fest I have ever read from any author.The tommyknockers made me sick when read it, so sick I almost died of boredom!

The only other book by SK that I dislike is Four Past Midnight. I found that the stories in this collection to be very boring!

Traveler Son of Paul is on a distinguished road Son of Paul's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hear ya on the character development aspect, Rice Dancer. Under the Dome, obviously, had a million characters. He did nicely with Big Jim's son, but couldn't come close imo with any of the main characters.

Also, I think politics do more than merely leak into his works nowadays. He seems ready to bust you over the head with his messages rather than focus on story.

My Mood
    Cynical

I think the book I liked the most out of his recent stuff was Duma Key, but even that I didn't love. I had very high hopes for Under the Dome. Actually, I think Under the Dome would make a good movie or series which I heard was a possibility. I hated Cell with a passion.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Duma Key was great and I really enjoyed Lisey's story. Cell was okay. I have Under The Dome but it's pretty daunting and probably won't read it for awhile.

I couldn't get into Salem's Lot at all so that's probably my least favourite.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Paul View Post
    I hear ya on the character development aspect, Rice Dancer. Under the Dome, obviously, had a million characters. He did nicely with Big Jim's son, but couldn't come close imo with any of the main characters.

Also, I think politics do more than merely leak into his works nowadays. He seems ready to bust you over the head with his messages rather than focus on story.
    On the politics, I agree 100%

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

for me the worst books of his are. & bear in mind that i haven't read all his books yet. so the list isn't very big. "Carrie" is one of them. you may say how dare he? well i dare. see i grew up watching the Original film & that's one of my favorite films of all time. & when i FINALLY got around to reading

"Carrie" in high school it didn't have the impact that the film did. in fact i was a little bored when i read it. while i'm thrilled that it gave him a career way back when. there's no doubt about that. i think if i had read the book 1st than saw the film than that'd be

different. also i'm not saying i think it's his worst book either. i'm just saying i think it's one of his worst books.

anyways, i LOVED "Desperation" when i read it back when it 1st came out. but than i read "The Regulators' & i thought it was a piece of shit.

dreadful, terrible etc.. i think the connection between both books is pretty cool actually & original, plus i LOVE the fact that the covers of the hardbacks are one

picture. that was pretty cool the way that was created. but the result in the book itself of 'The Regulators' was a HUGE Dissapointment to me. & sorry for my bad spelling. anyways,

his other book that i think is is worst book by far would be "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" i had to FORCE myself to finish the damn thing when it 1st came out. it took

me like a month & a half to read a book that short would normally take me at least back than a LOT shorter time. it may have been even longer than that. i can't remember, but it sure as hell felt like i was reading it for 6 months!

those so far are the ones i thought were his worst books.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast