Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 56 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1400

Thread: King's worst novel?

Traveler whiskey is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by NicNac View Post
    Hey Whiskey, welcome!

I liked Lisey's story, though I don't think it's among his best. Like someone else mentioned, I think the storyline about the dad and brother was the best part!

I also like From a Buick 8...mainly b/c, yeah, when you put it THAT way, it doesn't sound scary, but when I read how SK WROTE it...I was like, wtf, how does he manage to scare me just by talking about this car?!?

Lisye's Story had some redeeming parts to it, like you said, the dad and brother storyline, but the flashback from within a flashback stuff got, well, ridiculous.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey View Post
    Long thread, cool thread.

I'm sure it's been mentioned previously, but Lisey's Story was effing terrible. The baby talking guy really really put me off. I understand why he did it, but it still annoyed the bejeezus out of me. Plus the bad guy in the book wasn't really all that scary. I realize he was almost an afterthought to the main story, but still, he was lame, and a terrible 'villain'.

But worse, was From a Buick 8.

A story about a car that just..........sits there, and, well, it looks SINISTER! It doesn't really DO anything. It just..........sits there. Now and then it'll throw off some creepy soundless purple lightning, and weird creatures come out of the trunk that can't survive in our atmosphere, but other than that, not a lot happens.

I know that the stories are metaphorical, and there's more going on beneath what we're reading. I get that. But these 2 books were just plain boring/lame/uninteresting, and getting myself to understand the deeper meaning of what the author is trying to say just doesn't resonate when the tale that's used as the vehicle for the metaphor is just craptastic.
    Please notice this argument, all you fellows who much liked From A Buick 8 but never hesitate at all to put down Lisey's Story.

John F. Kennedy NicNac is on a distinguished road NicNac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Please notice this argument, all you fellows who much liked From A Buick 8 but never hesitate at all to put down Lisey's Story.
    Yeah, but that car that sat there was SCARY!
    Kill if you will, but command me nothing!
    The Gunslinger

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure it's been mentioned previously, but Lisey's Story was effing terrible.
    How nice of you! I'm reading Lisey's history, and I have not read From a Buick 8

I know that the stories are metaphorical, and there's more going on beneath what we're reading. I get that. But these 2 books were just plain boring/lame/uninteresting, and getting myself to understand the deeper meaning of what the author is trying to say just doesn't resonate when the tale that's used as the vehicle for the metaphor is just craptastic.
    Use the Spoiler tagg please

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to say that i really like both Lisey's Story and From a Buick 8!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dagavidiab View Post

How nice of you! I'm reading Lisey's history, and I have not read From a Buick 8

Yes, please, folken, do try to be considerate. Fortunately, Dagavidiab, while that may have spoiled a bit of what does not happen, some interesting things DO happen in that book which haven't been discussed here at all. I hope you'll still enjoy it whenever you happen to get around to it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagavidiab View Post

Yes, please, folken, do try to be considerate. Fortunately, Dagavidiab, while that may have spoiled a bit of what does not happen, some interesting things DO happen in that book which haven't been discussed here at all. I hope you'll still enjoy it whenever you happen to get around to it.
    I will continue reading it no matters who spoils me what!!, hehehe

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My least favorite would be Cujo. It's not a bad book, it's just not King's best. I still have a few of the so called "bad books" to read through.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

"From a Buick 8"
    Oh, man, I couldn't stand that one. I finished it, but only because I kept thinking it had to get better. The worst thing I ever read from him.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    My least favorite would be Cujo. It's not a bad book, it's just not King's best. I still have a few of the so called "bad books" to read through.
    No, Cujo is a bad book. A very, very bad book.

It's amazing to think it's his second-shortest novel, because I felt like it would never end when I was reading it.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    ...it's just not King's best. ...
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. Still can't rank it with his "bad books" either, however. IMHO, of course.

Numerous superficial flaws, but I found it deep.

Traveler Encyclopedia is on a distinguished road Encyclopedia's Avatar

The Eyes of the Dragon or Gerald's Game. Gerald's Game is probably the only one I've read once and never plan to read again.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cujo, really? I loved it! Very intense.

Gunslinger Apprentice Jack Torrance is on a distinguished road Jack Torrance's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I vote "Cell" it bored me to death. It just feels to me that the whole undead (Zombie) angles have been used to much in books and movies. I know some people with disagree but to me it has just be used too much.
    "You've had your whole F***ing life to think things over, what good's a few minutes minutes more gonna do you now?"

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Rage and Roadwork. I seriously wanted to somehow magically transport myself into that classroom and shoot that spoiled brat (the main character) in Rage. OMG, such angst!

Carrie didn't do anything for me either.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Wait! You mean Charlie wasn't the hero in that story?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually didn't think Carrie was bad. I really enjoyed the last 80 or so pages.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

There were some good moments but compared to 'Salem's Lot it seems like it was a different writter. Writting and style seemed a lot more mature in 'SL and that was his next book. Maybe because he realized he didn't need to try so hard.

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I would have to say his worse book would be.... Duma Key. I also did not like Under the Dome and The Cell (great premise with poor execution).

Citizen of Gilead kluker is on a distinguished road kluker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't know if these count as Novel's or not but:

1.From a Buick 8 just cause I found it boring and kinda pointless.
    2.Different Seasons-to much going on in it.
    3.Full Dark, No stars- Only some was good.

Country
    Country Flag

I understand what people are saying about From a Buick 8. I liked it for its references to other books but yeah, not much happens. I finished it in 2 days so it was a easy enough read. I think that might have been a problem with it. Too plain.

I'm currently reading Gerald's Game. Page 50 and I misplaced the book. I have no clue where I put it. I'm in no rush to find it either.

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I understand what people are saying about From a Buick 8. I liked it for its references to other books but yeah, not much happens. I finished it in 2 days so it was a easy enough read. I think that might have been a problem with it. Too plain.

I'm currently reading Gerald's Game. Page 50 and I misplaced the book. I have no clue where I put it. I'm in no rush to find it either.
    Gerald's Game was very enjoyable to me. I like books that can successfully put a character in a desperate situation and make you feel the stress of it. The ending was luke warm though.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure I'll read it eventually. I was a on a roll, I read The Green Mile, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, From a Buick 8 and started Gerald's Game. All this from 12/1 to 12/17. Gerald's Game killed the mood. I don't know, maybe it gets better, I'm only on page 50.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The beginning half of the book is actually the best....

Country
    Country Flag

Oh man... where's the smiley face that's blowing his brains out when you need him?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 56 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast