Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1401

Thread: King's worst novel?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I love Popsy and the comic version of it too.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice thebumblerinblack is on a distinguished road thebumblerinblack's Avatar

A comic version?!! Damn, I gotta find that.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

J.N. Williamson's Masques II
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice JRM is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm shocked and horrified that people actually consider Bag of Bones to be among Stephen King's worst novels! That book made me a fan! In fact, it's the only Stephen King novel I love from start to finish; I have no problems with it at all.

Anyway, I'd like to share my worst list. In fact, since I'm pretty much a new SK fan, I'll just list the novels I've read of his from least favorite to absolute favorite:

---------------------------------------------------
    [Worst]

Dreamcatcher (Oh my lord. I don't know how I managed to finish this book. Must have been through divine intervention. Unlike Insomnia, which bored me to sleep at times, Dreamcatcher flat-out frustrated me. I liked how it began and I enjoyed the flashback scenes, but once the military showed up it was all down hill from there)

Dolores Claiborne (I didn't like the narrative and the story just didn't do it for me. I also found Dolores to be very annoying. Lol. Thankfully it was a short read)

Carrie (Felt very amateurish. Didn't really captivate me. Again, thankfully it was a short read)

Cell (I always struggle to find my honest feelings when it comes to this one. I liked parts of it -- especially the beginning -- but once Clay and friends travel to that school, it took a turn for the worst. All that psychic stuff made it worse)

------------------------------------------------------------
    [Good]

Gerald's Game (I don't get the hate for this book. I found it to be a very disturbingly affective psychological thriller. And it was the perfect length. Wasn't spectacular, but definitely one that held my attention)

The Dead Zone (Overall enjoyable. Didn't leave me with no lasting impression, however.)

The Eyes of the Dragon (Really liked it and I love how it was a brisk read and something most people could get into, but, like Dead Zone, it wasn't as memorable as I thought it would be)

Under the Dome (There were so many things about this book I didn't like and a part of me wants to take it down a notch or two, but there were many other things about it I enjoyed, and I liked the concept. I just won't be re-reading it anytime soon)

Insomnia (I'll admit I fell asleep many times when I read this book, but while it did bore me in parts -- particularly the beginning -- it left me with a lasting impression when I finished it; I felt as if I read something special, and I've slowly come to realize it's a great book. I think another reason why I may have not liked it in the beginning is because it was the second Stephen King book I read, right after Bag of Bones, and I was expecting another story similar to Bag of Bones, which I LOVED)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Favorites]

Pet Sematary (Loved it from start to almost finish. Lol. I only disliked the silly climax and ending)

Duma Key (Loved how similar it was to Bag of Bones, and not just in its narrative. It had a very similar feel throughout -- I even had a bit of deja vu, which I welcomed. Only disliked the climax -- no surprise, lol -- and ending. Didn't feel complete to me.)

Desperation (I love how different it was from the other Stephen King books I read. I admit it was a bit over-the-top at times, but it was an overall very thrilling read)

IT (If it weren't for the kiddy kiddy bang bang and the disappointing and underwhelming climax, it would have been perfect. Very disturbing and emotional throughout -- well, until the child banging and eh climax)

Bag of Bones (There wasn't one thing -- not one thing -- I disliked about this novel. It was thoroughly riveting and beautifully told. I even got almost teary eyed a bit at one point. Since I've finished it, I've recommended it to so many people, and each of them have loved it)

------------------------------------------------

So, yeah, Dreamcatcher's the worst I've read. Sorry for my rambling.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I'm intrigued; I don't see The Stand in your list. I agree with most of your post though, except for Carrie, which is in my Top 3. It might have felt amateurish, but it had raw power to draw you in and make you want to finish it. Also, I liked Dreamcatcher, but I didn't love it. I'd have put it in Good. Commander of Blue Company made the book, in my opinion.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I think he just hasn't read the Stand. He should stop what he is doing right now and start reading the Stand.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

agreed.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    I'm shocked and horrified that people actually consider Bag of Bones to be among Stephen King's worst novels! That book made me a fan! In fact, it's the only Stephen King novel I love from start to finish; I have no problems with it at all.
    I'm very happy for you, because I WANTED to love Bag of Bones as much as you seem to, but somehow...it didn't do it for me.

But I am glad you liked IT and Insomnia, as those are my second- and third-favorite Stephen King works, respectively. (The first needs no introduction.)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I couldn't agree more. BoB is totally underappreciated.
    I still haven't read Under the Dome, but of all other non-TDT SK novels, my top 5 are --

It
    The Stand
    Black House
    Desperation
    Bag of Bones

[Worst]

Dreamcatcher (Oh my lord. I don't know how I managed to finish this book. Must have been through divine intervention. Unlike Insomnia, which bored me to sleep at times, Dreamcatcher flat-out frustrated me. I liked how it began and I enjoyed the flashback scenes, but once the military showed up it was all down hill from there) ... yeah, Dreamcatcher's the worst I've read. Sorry for my rambling.
    I'm with you there, too. I might put it ahead of a few others, like Rose Madder, but still...
    (And no need to apologize for "rambling," BTW. That's a good post. )
    ...Dolores Claiborne (I didn't like the narrative and the story just didn't do it for me. I also found Dolores to be very annoying. Lol. Thankfully it was a short read) ...
    I loved that book, and that character.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [Good]

Gerald's Game (I don't get the hate for this book. ...
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ad.php?t=10294
    ...Pet Sematary (Loved it from start to almost finish. Lol. I only disliked the silly climax and ending)...
    You found that "silly" ?! You're talking about the novel, right? Not the cheesed out movie? ...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I still haven't read Under the Dome, but of all other non-TDT SK novels, my top 5 are --

It
    The Stand
    Black House
    Desperation
    Bag of Bones
    bears can't stop marveling at that list... four items the same as on bears' list! four! I don't think any two Top Five lists in our site coincide to that extent.

(now, if only you replaced BoB with Duma Key...)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice disel24 is on a distinguished road disel24's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Worst King book as far as I'm concerned is Under the Dome, period. lol

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I think he just hasn't read the Stand. He should stop what he is doing right now and start reading the Stand.
    That's correct, I haven't read it yet. I hear it's his best book so I'm trying to get my hands on it. I'm a little weird, though: I don't like checking out Stephen King novels from the library -- I like to buy them before I read them (hardback is preferred). And I can't find a good deal on The Stand right now. I'm going to read all the Stephen King books I have left (around 15 more), then, if I still haven't found a great deal on the book, I'll just buy it with the best deal I could find.

I'm with you there, too. I might put it ahead of a few others, like Rose Madder, but still...
    (And no need to apologize for "rambling," BTW. That's a good post. )
    I have Rose Madder in my collection, but a friend of mine read it -- or tried -- and said he didn't like it either (He's an even newer fan than I, btw). I'm holding out on that one. It'll probably be among the last Stephen King books I read.

I loved that book, and that character.
    Sorry. I didn't dig it.

I was going by what I read in this thread -- I read the WHOLE thing before I posted here. And a whole lotta people claimed it the worst, or among the worst.

You found that "silly" ?! You're talking about the novel, right? Not the cheesed out movie? ...

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    I'm very happy for you, because I WANTED to love Bag of Bones as much as you seem to, but somehow...it didn't do it for me.

But I am glad you liked IT and Insomnia, as those are my second- and third-favorite Stephen King works, respectively. (The first needs no introduction.)
    Yeah, opinions will always differ. I'm honestly not so sure why Bag of Bones resonated so much within me. It made a big enough impact to get me reading a whole lot more Stephen King, so I'm not even going to try and analyze the reasons why.

But IT was awesome! Right from the start. I could have done without certain parts -- pretty sure you know which parts I'm implying -- but it was an overall fantastic book. And Insomnia, while I wasn't fond of it at first, has really grown on me like no other.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

There's only one, and most folken I've talked to literally use the word unforgettable. Basically as far opposite of Hollywood as you can get. Srsly, I love it.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

There's only one, and most folken I've talked to literally use the word unforgettable. Basically as far opposite of Hollywood as you can get. Srsly, I love it.
    Maybe he was missing pages? Strange. I did love the book, though -- it's among my absolute favorites -- I just didn't like those parts I mentioned. LOVED the buildup to it, though. It disturbed me.

Anyway, Pet Sematary >>>> Dreamcatcher, imo. I haven't read a bunch of other novels people here claim to be the "worst" (Rose Madder, The Tommyknockers, etc.), but I own most. I'll be sure to read most of these last.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I felt like the end of Pet Sematary was the only ending that fit. If you look at the book as a traditional tragedy, the ending to the book is the only one that makes since. In fact, it is 1 of only 3 or 4 King endings that I am completely satisfied with.
    Sloth Love Chunk

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I love Popsy and the comic version of it too.
    The Popsy comic is hilarious.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

1. I felt like the end of Pet Sematary was the only ending that fit.
    2. If you look at the book as a traditional tragedy, the ending to the book is the only one that makes since.
    3. In fact, it is 1 of only 3 or 4 King endings that I am completely satisfied with.
    1. I agree 100%.
    2. Well, I don't know... I don't look at it exactly that way...
    3. I agree 100%.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

In a tragedy, the character's fatal flaw (in this case I think it is selfishness) must lead to that character's demise. And everyone should see it coming but that character himself. i.e the audience is screaming "No, no, don't do it dumbass!!" From this aspect, while there might have been some alternate endings that would make sense, I think that this one is perfect.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

...the character's fatal flaw (in this case I think it is selfishness) ...
    See, I'm not so sure about that. After all;
    Spoiler:
    It was Rachel, not Louis, that was in denial.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, in fairness, motives are sometimes fuzzy. I don't know if selfishness is a great description of Louis's fatal flaw. Maybe a better one would be one would be altruism, which is oddly the opposite of altruism, but follow me on this one...

Spoiler:
    Louis feels guilt because he could not save Pascow, this plants the seed for Louis's need to fix everything else throughout the novel.
    He tries to fix Church for Ellie.
    He tries to fix Mrs. Crandall for Jud.
    He tries to fix Gage for Rachel and Ellie.
    Then after all of this has failed, and his altruism has lead him down the path of destruction, he commits the selfish act that ultimately leads to his demise..
    He tries to fix Rachel for himself.

Now, back on topic.....sorry Jean......King's worst novel is Regulators.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

...back on topic.....sorry Jean......King's worst novel is Regulators.
    (kk, I'm moving this to a Pet Semetary thread.)
    The Regulators stinks, but it does have a few redeeming features. All in all, his worst IMHO is probably The Dark Half.

John F. Kennedy NicNac is on a distinguished road NicNac's Avatar

I haven't read the WHOLE thread, but I've read a lot of it!

My faves:
    The Stand
    It--I have to reread this one probably the most frequently of SK novels, just b/c I need to visit those characters again
    Tommyknockers--I can't believe this landed on some peoples "Worst" list!! I love it.
    From a Buick 8--I know, not a very popular book of his, but I think it's some of his best storytelling...the way he makes me so damn afraid of the car and what's in it, how he manages to SCARE me with something indescribable...wonderfully done. But, it has been many a year since I actually read it.

Worst:
    Cell--liked the premise, enjoyed the beginning, but find it pretty unremarkable overall
    Regulators--I'm putting it here slightly unfairly. I haven't read it. But I've TRIED to read it several times, and just can't get through it!

Honorable mentions:
    Lisey's Story--I liked this book, but it was way harder to get into than I think it should have been. Definitely harder for me to really get into than any other SK book I've read.
    The Long Walk--This didn't quite make the "best" list for me, but I do love the story. I think I'm in love with the premise more than anything else.
    Under the Dome--A bit of a disappointment for me. I definitely enjoyed reading it, but I wanted it to leave me with an IMPACT like The Stand and It did, and I felt like it fell short of that.

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by NicNac View Post
    Worst:
    Cell

Traveler whiskey is on a distinguished road

Long thread, cool thread.

I'm sure it's been mentioned previously, but Lisey's Story was effing terrible. The baby talking guy really really put me off. I understand why he did it, but it still annoyed the bejeezus out of me. Plus the bad guy in the book wasn't really all that scary. I realize he was almost an afterthought to the main story, but still, he was lame, and a terrible 'villain'.

But worse, was From a Buick 8.

A story about a car that just..........sits there, and, well, it looks SINISTER! It doesn't really DO anything. It just..........sits there. Now and then it'll throw off some creepy soundless purple lightning, and weird creatures come out of the trunk that can't survive in our atmosphere, but other than that, not a lot happens.

I know that the stories are metaphorical, and there's more going on beneath what we're reading. I get that. But these 2 books were just plain boring/lame/uninteresting, and getting myself to understand the deeper meaning of what the author is trying to say just doesn't resonate when the tale that's used as the vehicle for the metaphor is just craptastic.

John F. Kennedy NicNac is on a distinguished road NicNac's Avatar

Hey Whiskey, welcome!

I liked Lisey's story, though I don't think it's among his best. Like someone else mentioned, I think the storyline about the dad and brother was the best part!

I also like From a Buick 8...mainly b/c, yeah, when you put it THAT way, it doesn't sound scary, but when I read how SK WROTE it...I was like, wtf, how does he manage to scare me just by talking about this car?!?
    Kill if you will, but command me nothing!
    The Gunslinger

+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast