Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: King's worst novel?

Along the Path of the Beam MaraJShakespeare is on a distinguished road MaraJShakespeare's Avatar

Gerald's Game was absolutely excruciating; I will not read it again. I experienced it the first time by unabridged audio, and found it a form of torture. Some time later, I read it, assuming it would be less annoying and monotonous that way, as I can read much faster than an audiobook reader can speak. Made no difference. I don't blame King's writing; the situation is the problem, and he describes everything that happens to his protagonist in detail, creating a complete vicarious experience of being handcuffed to a bed for several days. In a way, the problem with Gerald's Game may be that it's too well-written, too realistic; as painfully dull, yet nerve-wracking and frustrating as really being in that kind of isolated, trapped state.

I didn't really like The Regulators, either. I may try re-reading that one eventually, as it may have been the period of time in which I read it that created the unrelentingly grim atmosphere I associate with that book, as opposed to the novel itself. I do seem to recall finding the manifestation of the evil entity in that book rather unbelievable and absurd, but I was only 21 at the time and hadn't experienced as many unbelievable and absurd things as I have since then. At 32, I may understand the elements of satire that I suspect are present in that book much better, and I know that my own credulity, like my sense of humour, has expanded considerably since then.

Otherwise, I'm having a hard time thinking of a King novel I didn't enjoy. From what I've read above, I suspect that the things a lot of us have problems with in King's work are the same things we have trouble with in reality: injustices happen, good people die for no good reason, etc. King always says he has no control over his stories; he writes what he sees. This is why, in spite of the so-called 'paranormal' or 'supernatural' elements in them, King's novels and shorter works have a verisimilitude to them that is lacking in most fiction, a sense of reality and truth. People in King stories behave as well and as badly as people really do, and weird things happen for no reason anyone can determine or prove, without all the neat explanations that fill other fictions and are never present in real life. It's this honesty that I like about king, and that makes it difficult for me to select books I didn't like, however unpleasant or strange their contents may be. Wouldn't recommend reading the Bachman Books if you're depressed, however, particularly the early ones (though I do think everyone ought to read The Running Man, so they'll be prepared for the kind of future our current leaders are creating for us).
    We place no reliance
    Upon virgin or pigeon;
    Our method is science,
    Our aim is religion!

-Motto of Aleister Crowley

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't really care for The Regulators/Desperation books either. Interesting concept I guess but...meh. I liked the small DT connections but not his best works.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Monte, we are friends no more! Okay, that might be a little hasty, but your anti-desperation post has severly wounded me

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry man.

I only read those once, maybe the second time will be better? I fully intend to re-read all my King books but I just can't at the moment becuz I have to read the books I've never read first.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Cujo is the only book by him I don't like. It didn't scare me and I lost interest half way through, which I have yet to do with any other King book. I was yawning, and thats a bad sign. A VERY bad sign.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice Ikilledthecrimsonking is on a distinguished road Ikilledthecrimsonking's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the girl who loved tom Gordon was in my opinion the worst book I've ever read
    also i dislike the gunslinger because it wasn't eye catching unlike TDOTT

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I hope you weren't told to take your sig down by anyone, because I was enjoying it immensely. It cheered me up everytime I saw it in fact.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Monte, we are friends no more! Okay, that might be a little hasty, but your anti-desperation post has severly wounded me
    I feel your pain, feverish. Monte, you're faced with two Desperation fans here...

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Cujo is the only book by him I don't like. It didn't scare me and I lost interest half way through, which I have yet to do with any other King book. I was yawning, and thats a bad sign. A VERY bad sign.
    I've been yawning non-stop since I picked Lisey Story. I nearly dislocated my jaw over Bag of Bones, Eyes and all parts of Hearts in Atlantis but the first. That's also the main reason I can't go on with Cell - I don't really need soporific now.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I feel your pain, feverish. Monte, you're faced with two Desperation fans here...
    Alright....you, me and feev, outside. ten minutes. you're both going down.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nah. I give you 24 hours to recruit another Desperation-hater to fight for your side. Then it will be fair.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ikilledthecrimsonking View Post
    You can't judge the book by the cover, though, The Gunslinger, in my opinion, was on of King's better written books

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    You can't judge the book by the cover, though, The Gunslinger, in my opinion, was on of King's better written books
    All of the Dark Tower books are my favorites above all others.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree, DT books are the best

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    I agree, DT books are the best
    This is why I've let you live.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Nah. I give you 24 hours to recruit another Desperation-hater to fight for your side. Then it will be fair.
    And here I am, to defend Monte's honor!! ...Well, it may be too late for that...but I'm here to defend him nonetheless

Monte has honor?

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Entirely my point above about it being too late

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

the girl who loved tom Gordon was in my opinion the worst book

I liked that book. it was a fast fun read, imo.

Monte has honor?

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked The Girl as well, it was a fun and easy read.

I also got very close that girl during her short ordeal.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    I liked that book. it was a fast fun read, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I liked The Girl as well, it was a fun and easy read.

I also got very close that girl during her short ordeal.
    Same here. Good stuff.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Lisey's Story......blah blah blah. I was not interested at all and had to force my way through it.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Lisey's Story......blah blah blah. I was not interested at all and had to force my way through it.
    that's what I'm trying to do now. It seems to me I've been doing it for years. And, to my utter horror, it still seems as far till the end as was yesterday or the day before...

Loved Girl, though.

Country
    Country Flag

Monte has honor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Entirely my point above about it being too late
    Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    Monte has honor?

I hate you all.
    You're so mean.

Nah, that was pretty funny but I totally have honor. Shove it where the sun don't shine CK.

Country
    Country Flag

I don't need Lisa's half-assed help.
    I'll take you guys on anyway.

Ok, back on topic.
    I've heard good things about Lisey's Story. Now I'm a little worried after reading some people in this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Nah, that was pretty funny but I totally have honor. Shove it where the sun don't shine CK.
    I might need your expert help with that..

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Now I'm a little worried after reading some people in this thread...
    Don't be worried, just read it and make up your own mind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast