Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 57 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast

Thread: King's worst novel?

Cowboy from Hell Myste is on a distinguished road Myste's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

well yeah... we can't all like the same things. That makes it rich!

“The devil's voice is sweet to hear.”
    -SK.

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Couldn't get in to Cell, so i put it down. Picked it up about 2 months later and started from the middle, basically no new people introduced, so I just carried on to the terrible ending.
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

Citizen of Gilead tamez is on a distinguished road tamez's Avatar

:rose:

interesting thread to be sure!
    I loved Lisey's and Cell.

hated the girl who loved tom gordon!
    UG
    WHAT was the point...
    There are other worlds than these.
    "You brought your bitch to the Waffle Hut?"

"(859): You were wearing a sombrero. And a crown. And told me to use the nerf gun to protect your room from the cat. You don't have a cat."
    ~ texts from last night

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I rather enjoyed Cell. It read like a movie. I read it all in one sitting. Anytime I read a book cover to cover without going to the bathroom, it is exempt from my worst list.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Aww, I really like that novel.

I thought it was kind of cool that he was able to write a book that young children could enjoy, which appealed to adults as well. I read "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" when I was suffering a horrible case of chicken pox, and it was one of the few things that took my mind off my miserable condition.

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjyed Lisey's and Cell but they seem to have some pretty mixed reviews. They were my first king books for months and I think I was missing him a bit.

I really didint enjoy the Dark Half. I didn't fall into it like I usually or ''find the hole in the paper'' which I think is from Misery.

I haven't read Cujo not sure if i will now ....
    Last edited by Sickrose; 10-16-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Typo!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Cujo is a great story, classic early King. I would totally read it if you get the chance and it is short.

I loved Cell personally, great take on the zombie thing. The idea that once there are more zombies than regular people who the fuck is weird then?...that grew on me.

I thought Lisey's Story was pretty good but I seriously hated Needful Things for some reason.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tamez View Post
    interesting thread to be sure!
    I loved Lisey's and Cell.

hated the girl who loved tom gordon!
    UG
    WHAT was the point...
    TGWLTG is one of King's better short works for me. I thought the point of it was to take a look at the fear's children experience when they're alone (not with friends, but completely alone) and cut off from the rest of the world. It also took a look at the incredible WILL that children exhibit, something that many of us lose as we grow older and as life beats us up. For me though, it also explored levels of childhood fear that I felt IT didn't aproach (due to the nature of the story, not because of any reluctance on King's part).

That's my take on TGWLTG.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Cujo is a great story, classic early King. I would totally read it if you get the chance and it is short.

I loved Cell personally, great take on the zombie thing. The idea that once there are more zombies than regular people who the fuck is weird then?...that grew on me.

I thought Lisey's Story was pretty good but I seriously hated Needful Things for some reason.
    Needful Things was a good idea I thought. Sometimes somehting doesnt grab you.

I agree with you about Cell I loved that idea too and
    Spoiler:
    how he continued after the inital outbreak and what would happen next and I think he goes on to say how Zombie's wouldnt make such a mess of things as we have!

Maybe I will give Cujo a go I am studying again and it's nice to swtich off with a good King book as well as a bit of DT!!

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I'm thinking Blaze was the worst so far, that I have read.

I got to the end of the book and said, "that's it? I expect more from you, Sai king!" But he had already warned me at the beginning of the book that it wasn't that good so I can't really blame myself.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I didn't much care for BLAZE either, but the book I had to repeatedly refrain myself from throwing against the wall was LISEY'S STORY. I really hated that book. I disliked every character and had no sympathy for them or their problems.
    There are other King books I don't like either, most notably the last three Dark Tower novels, also in danger of brutal wall impactment while reading. In my defense though, I liked the first 4 books in the series (with reservations here and there).

Country
    Country Flag

So much hatred for Lisey's Story from so many here. I would like to ask why. Why do you not like the charcters? What is it about them that made you dislike them so much? Was it the way Lisey talked, or her attitude, maybe her relationship with her family? What was it?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    So much hatred for Lisey's Story from so many here. I would like to ask why. Why do you not like the charcters? What is it about them that made you dislike them so much? Was it the way Lisey talked, or her attitude, maybe her relationship with her family? What was it?
    Sam, let's have this discussion in Lisey's Story specific thread, ok? I hope to post there some day too, I have very much to say.

::thoroughly hates Lisey's Story::

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

No problem. I'll post that there.

Traveler sombra is on a distinguished road sombra's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't like Tommyknockers on the first read but enjoyed it the second time around -- and it gave me nightmares for some reason.

At the bottom of my list would be Rose Madder, Salem's Lot, Desperation/Regulators. I have not been able to finish Duma Key.

Country
    Country Flag

At the bottom of my list would be Salem's Lot, .[/QUOTE]

I am interested in why you didnt like Salem's lot I have read it a couple of times and it scares me half to death everytime! heheh

Cowboy from Hell Myste is on a distinguished road Myste's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah... that one got me wondering too. One of the best stories after DT -series imho.

“The devil's voice is sweet to hear.”
    -SK.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

definitely Tommyknockers. i couldnt wait for it to end.

Country
    Country Flag

I just found Salem's Lot to be extremely boring. I had no connection to any of the characters, the events didn't scare me.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, Salem's Lot is easily in my top 5 non DT King books. Probably 3rd, after Stand and It.
    Just, Wow, I cant understand this, of all the King clinkers out there, being on the bottom rung.

Wow
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Have to agree with sombra, Salem's Lot just bored the heck outta me. I think it was probably good for it's time.

Country
    Country Flag

No insult meant to any of the Salem's fans! My mom loves the book as well and we usually agree on his best work. I love Eyes of the Dragon and I know it popped up a bunch of times in this thread (curious to me, because it's Dark-Tower-ish to me, although "younger"). I thought Dragon was such a wonderful fairy tale!

The Stand and It are big favorites of mine I read The Stand each July!

Traveler augella13 is on a distinguished road augella13's Avatar

I really enjoyed The Cell, but i was very let down by the ending.

Traveler pluginbaby is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I love Eyes of the Dragon and Insomnia too. I was really young when I first read EotD so maybe that's why it stuck in my head, but I just think it's a great story.
    There are a few King books that I never really got into... Lisey's Story, The Dark Half (I really didn't like that one), Gerald's Game, Dreamcatcher. On the other hand though he's written so many that it really is impossible to like all of them!

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

For the most part, I have a generally declining opinion of Kings work chronologically. As with most authors, I think his early work (Stand,It,Salem's Lot,Shining,etc) were his best, while his later works have been his weakest. Sometimes you just run out of things to say.
    Sloth Love Chunk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 57 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast