Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: King's worst novel?

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Why didn't you like it Odetta? I'm curious, did you like The Talisman?
    I LOVED the Talisman! I found Black House really hard to get into and it just didn't keep my interest as Talisman did. Talisman is much more... Dark Tower-esque than Black House. I had to force myself to finish it...

that being said, I think Black House had some really interesting characters, just the story was hard for me to get into.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Black House was extremely hard to get into from the start, but I thought it got better as it went on

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

If I hadn't listened to it, I am sure I never would have finished. But I am really glad I did because I am fully into Jack Sawyer now.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree, once it got going I couldn't stop, plus it is better the second time around

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved Black House from the very first page, while the Talisman is for me just another example of what I tried to explain above: it was great till all the fuss (aka action) started, and the last 50 to 100 pages were unbearable. Same with Dreamcatcher.

I think it's just the reason why I love Wolves so much: there's hardly any action at all, and everything that happens happens in minds or tongues...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

i thought Talisman was hard to get through at first, and only got better once Wolf joined the story.

Black House I loved pretty much all the way through. I loved the serial killer angle, it spooked the crap out of me. the thunder five bikers were awesome. And it all led up to that evil effing house. i forgot the blind guy's name, but he was a great character.

I wanna see what happens in Talisman 3.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Mike~ Henry Laydeen
    Cant wait for Talisman 3 and yes, WOLF is the best

henry! he was a very memorable character.

thanks, mister.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

No problem,
    Spoiler:
    he was a hell of a person to lose

I know.

Spoiler:
    Another great character that perhaps Mr. King didn't know what to do with.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beck View Post
    I know.

Spoiler:
    Another great character that perhaps Mr. King didn't know what to do with.
    I don't know. I'm afraid we're moving further and further off topic, but I'll still say it here: it always seemed (felt) to me that

Spoiler:
    when King's characters die - unlike those of many other authors - it's because they die. Not to prove something to the reader, not to make some author's idea clearer, not to provoke some reaction from the part of the reader, and not for technical reasons - they just die. It's their destiny, and their honest death, not the author's arbitrary decision.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

makes sense. i like that idea, Jean. and it fits with how he comes up with his stories. he said when he writes it's like finding a piece of string and following it to wherever it may go. no ending prepared. he just gets there as he goes along.

you're right though. i almost forgot what thread this was. we sort of took a turn back there.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry for going of track, cry pardon

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

You guys are going to kill me.

The Drawing of the Three – This one is because I’ve read it so many times I just can’t stand the boring lobstosities and beach sequences. I also am not a big Susannah fan is her first appearance either.

Also, The Dark Half and From A Buick 8

I’ve still never gotten around to Tommyknockers or Thinner. I liked Insomnia, EoTD, Lisey’s Story, Bag of Bones or others that have been mentioned.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

You're right. You're dead.

Just kidding.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

no everyone's entitled to their own opinion, of course.

*sharpens butcher knife*

not a problem, not...a....problem.

drawing of the three is a personal favorite of mine, but that's ok. now close your eyes real quick.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    You're right. You're dead.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I'm afraid we're moving further and further off topic
    Thank you Jean. You and I are of the same mind I think.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beck View Post
    drawing of the three is a personal favorite of mine, but that's ok. now close your eyes real quick.

lol, I expected as much

Like I said it's more the fact that I've read it so many times. That's the main reason why it's on my list.

i hear ya, guthrie. i was just effing with ya.

it's only a personal favorite of mine because of the age that i read it, my mindset at the time, and up to that point, i had never read anything that interested me as much. the doors, the characters, moving in and out of worlds. I loved it. I had read some King books before the DT series, but that's about it. I didn't even read LotR until I was 17.

And while i loved the gunslinger, dott was on a whole other level for me. and i became hooked right away.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Rose Madder. Hated it. Insomnia and Bag of Bones were not fav's of mine either.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved Insomnia AND Bag Of Bones! (Not read Rose Madder yet)...oh well, horses for courses! What was it you didn't like RF?

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think I ever finished Rose Madder....can't remember. That's also a pretty good sign, imo, that it wasn't very good.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Slow boring reads.
    No offense but King went on a kind of 12 step repentance with the writing of an "abused woman" book.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast