Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: King's worst novel?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed Desperation, but perhaps because I knew a little of the back story for how King thought of the novel, as well as having myself been to desolate parts of the Nevada desert.

In 1994 King took a cross country ride on his Harley Davidson motorcycle. He combined the ride with appearances at small booksellers stores to promote his new novel Insomnia, as well as bring attention and revenue to independant booksellers.
    King had someone in a "chase" vehicle following him in case of breakdown etc.
    At some point King became separated from the chase vehicle and stopped in some desolate ghost town in the middle of nowhere off of Highway 50 in Nevada. The incident helped plant the seed in King's mind for Desperation/The Regulators.

When King arrived in Northen California, a friend and I saw went to a reading and speach he did in Santa Cruz.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Impressive.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didnt mind Lisey's Story either, i thought he did a pretty good job when the substance of the book was based on the strength of a marriage.

Not sure what I would state as his "worst" book ..
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Roadwork also comes to mind.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Really? I liked Roadwork. Not his best, I'll admit, but still good.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

It was just so...uninteresting. Unlike The Long Walk.

Pure raw genius.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ATG View Post
    Roadwork also comes to mind.
    King himself feels that Roadwork was the weakest of the Bachman Books.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I like Roadwork, but besides Thinner, it could be my least fav Bachman project. It's really a matter of liking the others more, than it is disliking Roadwork.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I can take or leave most of the Bachman stuff. I think the reasons behind the pseudonym are interesting though, and appreciate why King did it.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Vasagi View Post
    Insomina ... ironically titled because the first 3/4 of the book is the cure for the disease named on the cover.
    Finally! Someone who agrees with me! I've never tried so hard to finish a book. Crap, complete crap.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Insomina ... ironically titled because the first 3/4 of the book is the cure for the disease named on the cover.
    Finally! Someone who agrees with me! I've never tried so hard to finish a book. Crap, complete crap.
    You take that back you SOB! Oh wait, I'm sorry. A little carried away. I love that book. Legally changed my name to Ralph. Married a woman who is fifty years older than me. Started doing cocaine so I wouldn't fall asleep in hopes of seeing the world in dazzling auras. I also once ran over a midget with my car because I thought the bastard was part of the random. Turns out it was a kid dressed up like ET for halloween.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to agree here, it was hard to get through on audio.

Almost drove off the road.

But I LOVED the Roland parts, we were so starved then. I read the whole thing just for those.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    [
    I have to agree here, it was hard to get through on audio.

Almost drove off the road.

But I LOVED the Roland parts, we were so starved then. I read the whole thing just for those.
    The audio recording was awful. The actor they used was awful. I wish they would re-record it with a new person.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    You take that back you SOB! Oh wait, I'm sorry. A little carried away. I love that book. Legally changed my name to Ralph. Married a woman who is fifty years older than me. Started doing cocaine so I wouldn't fall asleep in hopes of seeing the world in dazzling auras. I also once ran over a midget with my car because I thought the bastard was part of the random. Turns out it was a kid dressed up like ET for halloween.

Yeah, you take it back Monte, or I'll...I'll...I'm telling my MUM!!!

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I remember it being really difficult to get through this book, but then as I got towards the end, it ended up being pretty good.
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I agree about Insomnia as well. I struggled thru the whole book, and even now don't know why I bothered so hard to finish it. It just didn't interest me at all.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Noooo, Heather - not you too?

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The ending of Insomnia is where it's all at. Yes the book is long and at times a bit slow, but if you stick it out, it is worth it in the end.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree with that, very well ended.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked the whole thing, but I prefer my King slow and rambling - books where he gets straight to it like Dreamcatcher and Cell, I don't find so appealing

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm guess I'm the opposite. I loved both of those stories. The thing I liked alot about Cell was that it started off with a bang, and it drew you right in.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, thats the rub right there then! I remember reading Cell and thinking, "Whoa...I don't know these people yet!! Backstory! Backstory!!"

I believe that Insomnia is the greatest book ever produced in the history of creation. It is my personal talisman, with me wherever I go. I used a hardback copy as the capstone to the foundation for my new house (it does lean a little to the left though). When I become discouraged about the human condition and acts of gratuitous violence, I gaze upon the cover of Insomnia (the artwork is amazing) and remind myself that yes, humanity is capable of good, even divine things.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    The ending of Insomnia is where it's all at. Yes the book is long and at times a bit slow, but if you stick it out, it is worth it in the end.
    The end was good, I don't deny it. The book is crap though, imo. A good ending is not enough to make a book good.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post

There's that "slow" issue again
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast