Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55
Results 1,351 to 1,372 of 1372

Thread: King's worst novel?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Talisman is one of my favorites! Black House has a different vibe, for sure, but skipping over Talisman will cheat you out of Jack's childhood.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's been years since I've read Talisman but I remember it being excellent. Never got around to reading Black House, but have wanted to because of the Crimson King connection.

Gunslinger Apprentice M_O_O_N has a little shameless behaviour in the past M_O_O_N's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Talisman was the first King book I ever read. My first thought was, "Well, this is different."
    There are no coincidences. Only Ka.
    ~I don't like rep points! ~
    Please use only the 'I disapprove' option for me. (If it do ya fine.)

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    It's been years since I've read Talisman but I remember it being excellent. Never got around to reading Black House, but have wanted to because of the Crimson King connection.
    I'm a little shocked The Talisman is even being discussed on a KING'S WORST thread. I love that book. My top 5 King reads always fluctuates, but The Talisman is often up there.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Agree, Talisman was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The first time I think I made it about 150 pages in before I quit. Just tried again, this time the audiobook because I can usually get through books that are hard to read that way, and I made it 10 hrs in to chapter 18 and had to quit. It was torture trying to listen to it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Blockade Billy
    The Girl who loved Tom Gordon
    Gwendy's... whatever

Elevation was really sort of "What's the point"

Honestly don't remember either Lisey's or Rose Madder, so I guess I should re-read them.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I've tried to read The Talisman twice and just can't get into it. My next King read will be Black House. I've heard it's very different from The Talisman so maybe I'll enjoy it, or hopefully at least be able to get thru it.
    Really no point in reading Black House if you haven't read The Talisman; as someone who likes neither, even I would say there are interesting things in both, and they please many King readers (even if not me), and they are worth giving a chance.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I'm a little shocked The Talisman is even being discussed on a KING'S WORST thread. I love that book. My top 5 King reads always fluctuates, but The Talisman is often up there.
    This.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

If everyone had the same opinion what a dull world this would be.

I really liked THE TALISMAN, really disliked BLACK HOUSE.

Really loved the first GWENDY, liked the 2nd a lot (not a King book though)

I really liked ELEVATION except for a few lines.

Didn't like FROM A BUICK 8 or TGWLTG at all.

Absolutely despise LISEY and her dumb story and her hamburger helper belches.

Loved BLOCKADE BILLY.

Disliked THE COLORADO KID.

I kind of liked ROSE and GERALD and DOLORES though.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Absolutely despise LISEY and her dumb story and her hamburger helper belches.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

The Talisman and Black House are very different from each other, and while I like them both, I can understand why they are polarizing.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I've tried to read The Talisman twice and just can't get into it. My next King read will be Black House. I've heard it's very different from The Talisman so maybe I'll enjoy it, or hopefully at least be able to get thru it.
    Really no point in reading Black House if you haven't read The Talisman; as someone who likes neither, even I would say there are interesting things in both, and they please many King readers (even if not me), and they are worth giving a chance.
    I'm going to attempt Black House. It's the pick for our book club later this month. And Talisman is for tomorrow, hence why I tried to give it a second shot. I've heard from people that Black House isn't necessary and that it's drastically different, so maybe I'll enjoy it? Who knows, we'll see.

I think the reason that I can't get into The Talisman is that it had a very Dark Towerish feel to it, and it's more fantasy like which is just not my thing. And I know I've said this before, but since it is King's worst thread, I'll admit it again... I'm not a fan of the Dark Tower series, and honestly I would rank that at the bottom of King's works. Yes even below Lisey's Story.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to attempt Black House. It's the pick for our book club later this month. And Talisman is for tomorrow, hence why I tried to give it a second shot. I've heard from people that Black House isn't necessary and that it's drastically different, so maybe I'll enjoy it? Who knows, we'll see.

I think the reason that I can't get into The Talisman is that it had a very Dark Towerish feel to it, and it's more fantasy like which is just not my thing. And I know I've said this before, but since it is King's worst thread, I'll admit it again... I'm not a fan of the Dark Tower series, and honestly I would rank that at the bottom of King's works. Yes even below Lisey's Story.
    BEAM BREAKER! YOU’RE IN THE SERVICE OF THE CRIMSON KING!

In DT 8, King is going to reference this Forum and this thread in particular about how people have forgotten the faces of their fathers and turned away from the Tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I can understand not being into the fantasy stuff. I'm usually not, either. With that said, Black House is definitely more "real world-y" (with some DT connections), so based off what you said I think you may end up enjoying it more than The Talisman.

BEAM BREAKER! YOU’RE IN THE SERVICE OF THE CRIMSON KING!

In DT 8, King is going to reference this Forum and this thread in particular about how people have forgotten the faces of their fathers and turned away from the Tower.
    This is great.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

First off, I don't think that "novella" sized books like Blockade Billy and Gwendy even fit the bill. I can't fathom The Talisman making anyone's worst novel list. For me, it's one of King's most fully realized novels, and it's one that actually has an ending that lives up to the rest of the novel.

That being said, the bloated Tommyknockers is worst. So much so, that it is one of the few King novels I have never revisited. Maybe I should, but I just can't get the bad taste from the first time around out of my mind.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Dreamcatcher.

Unbearable to get through.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I felt the same about Thinner. I have made 3 attempts to read it and haven't made it past half way.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I thought Thinner was kind of silly, but also fun (whereas Dreamcatcher was just dumb).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Having finally read and finished smucking Lisey’s Story this month, was my third attempt, I can officially declare that....
    Wait for it....

It is the second worst.
    FAB8 still wins.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I have been real time with SK releases since 1976 so some books that I liked years ago I might not care for today and vice versa. However there are many books that I flat out didn't like at the time of release and still don't care for but have finished each and every one. I no longer buy his books unless I find them to be especially good/compelling after reading a library copy. My last purchase was 11/22/63. Of the books I didn't like upon first reading and still don't like Lisey's Story tops the list. When I gave it a second chance via audio recording it was even worse. Any author with a bibliography as large as SK's is bound to have some clunkers but I'll always be willing to read whatever comes next. There's still that tingle of excitement when a new book is announced so I'll be riding the SK train for as long as runs.

Gunslinger Apprentice MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG's Avatar

King (and probably most artists, in every medium) apparently attracts people with varying tastes; “one man’s trash” etc.

It makes it impossible for me to guess whether I should read something like Sleeping Beauties; many dislike it, but if I had heeded the crowd’s advice, I might’ve skipped Lisey’s Story, which I really like. (The truth is, if I live long enough, I’ll eventually read everything of King’s, it’s just a question of when).

I don’t want to try to change anyone’s mind or taste on anything, but I would say that I read Roadwork less as an action thing and more as an account of an individual’s gradual deterioration (especially his marriage), and I found it fascinating.
    Very true. Reading is a personal endeavor. And like all chemistry between two people, it can vary wildly between author and any given reader. Factor in the headspace the reader is in at the time of reading any particular book and the long catalog of King reads and there are infinite combinations of possibilities for what's his worst read. Translation: we're all wrong. We're all right. And we can be both at the same time.

The love that Brian James Freeman gave to Revival makes me want to try it again.

And I read Sleeping Beauties (with my expectations set very low) and I totally enjoyed it. Yes, the self-flagellation and male bashing was ridiculous. Really, really over the top. But the story was good. And you can't argue that men have pretty much cornered the market on violence. I wouldn't blame women for wanting to be done with us. But to say ALL men are vile? Nope.

Anway, Rose Madder sucked.
    The only two King novels I have not read are Black House and The Wind Through the Keyhole. The only one I actually hated was Rose Madder. I will someday try it again to see if I like it better but the thought of reading it again is rather painful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55