Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: How would you like to see it done?

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seven Movies

98 51.31%
  • Seven Cartoons

4 2.09%
  • Seven Computer Animated Movies

13 6.81%
  • A Miniseries

34 17.80%
  • Nothing, they could never do it right!

42 21.99%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you like to see it done? The Official DT Movie Thread

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    and your ears
    Yes. Just to be on the safe side.

Roland would have understood.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post

How so?
    To close my eyes while I am watching it?
    So your telling me you have no control over your own feelings or how you deal with things?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post

How so?
    To close my eyes while I am watching it?
    So your telling me you have no control over your own feelings or how you deal with things?
    Sadly, Matthew I often have no control over my own feelings. Yeah. But... you know... I am a chick. A quite silly one.
    How do I deal with things?
    Usually I manage..
    and sometimes I don't.
    But I can live with it.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Sadly, Matthew I often have no control over my own feelings. Yeah. But... you know... I am a chick. A quite silly one.
    Usually I manage..
    and sometimes I don't.
    But I can live with it.

That is sad. Because I wouldn't want to let one moment in an otherwise wonderful movie experience of a lifetime ruin it for me.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Along the Path of the Beam lepra79 is on a distinguished road

I donīt like DT movies idea. I thinks like Jhanic

Gunslinger Apprentice Ikilledthecrimsonking is on a distinguished road Ikilledthecrimsonking's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

they could never make a DT movie sereis and if they i hope to God, Jesus, Buda, Zues, Jupiter, Shiva, Odin, and any other gods out there that if they do it wont turn out like Eragon (movie) a steaming pile of S***

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I would rather the movie(s) not be made if they came out as bad as Eragon.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. I say either go Lord of the Rings-style quality with it or don't do it at all.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dark Tower MMORPG would be the shit. How awesome would that be???
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post

Usually I manage..
    and sometimes I don't.
    But I can live with it.

That is sad. Because I wouldn't want to let one moment in an otherwise wonderful movie experience of a lifetime ruin it for me.
    But we weren't talking about a bad moment but bad characters. That's not the same.
    Of course one moment or one bad scene can't ruin a good movie for me (if that scene wasn't very important.
    But an important but bad charater could. Easily.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    Dark Tower MMORPG would be the shit. How awesome would that be???
    WHOA YEAH!!! That would be amazing!! They're bringing out a Lost pc/Xbox360/ps3 game next year, so if the movie gets underway maybe they'll push for that too if the Lost one is successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    The idea of having some awesome Dark Tower movie is so exciting. But then I think about how easy it would be to mess it up. There could be one bad actor, one scene cut out that would ruin the whole thing. Oh! I'm so torn.
    Yes, these things bug me too.
    Some or only one bad choice could ruin the whole movie for me.
    (Am I too sensitive?)
    One choice? Sorry, I guess I took that as a moment in the movie ruining it for you.

Gunslinger Apprentice Asterisco is on a distinguished road Asterisco's Avatar

Some movies. I don't know if seven. Maybe they can do just six. But, of course, it should be GREAT movies... with a great budget!

Gunslinger Apprentice Harrald is on a distinguished road Harrald's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been thinking about this since I first read the thread.

The BBC could have done justice. They are well known for keeping as close to the books as possible. From Conan Doyle to Douglas Adams and every sci-fi and mystery in between. The only problem as I see it is that they are getting ready to downsize and cut costs. This could dramatically decrease the quality of programing they deliver.

If a miracle happens and they don't begin to lose quality I feel they could make a great DT mini series (however many it would take)

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The BBC made a mini series of Gormenghast a few years back - the cast was excellent, costume, scenery etc - but I still nit picked.

I also think it should be made by Americans in America, it'd lose something being made by Brits I reckon. Still, I feel that way about alot of native legends etc that get made into films, I think they should be made by directors native to the tale, and likewise with cast.

Traveler JWskiman is on a distinguished road JWskiman's Avatar

I've given this lots of thought. IMHO, the only ways I'd like to see it done are big-screen, miniseries, or regular series. My thoughts on each:

BIG-SCREEN: I'd think they'd have to use LOTR as a template to shoot DT as a trilogy. You couldn't do it as 7 movies for three reasons: money, money, and money. Hell, look how long it took for the Star Wars prequels to get made! Think of the scope and scale that LOTR was done with - you'd need the same sprawling landscapes (albeit deserts instead of mountainous plains) to convey the length of the quests. The only downside to the trilogy would be making cuts to some parts. I could see I and II combined as the first... III, V and VI as the second (IV might be used as flashbacks in all three, but couldn't stand on it's own), and VII standing pretty much on it's own as the finale. Not perfect, I know, but hey - it's not like I'm a big Hollywood producer that's actually going to make this happen!

MINISERIES - The plus side to a mini-series is that whichever network (cable, most likely Sci-Fi) bids on it would be committed to running it in it's entirety. Miniseries typically have a bigger budget than regular TV series, and of course a TV series could always be canceled if the ratings were poor. I still think the best I ever saw was "Shogun", and if DT could match its scope, it could be very well done indeed.

TV SERIES - This option would actually allow for the fullest narrative, allow more in-depth exploration of the characters, and best chance to tell every chapter of every story. As noted before, however, ratings would spell it's fate and possibly before the story is completely told. I could see it being done, however. It would again have to be on a cable network - they're less prone to ratings swoons than the big 4 (sorry CW - you're not). The other drawback would be the time it takes to shoot the entire story. For instance, our dreams come true and it's successful TV series that lasts for, say, 5 years. An actor portraying Jake would age quite a bit, wouldn't he?

I've read the rumors about JJ Abrahms possibly directing a movie about it, but I can't bear the thought of it being just one. And I cant' imagine SK's 'magnum opus' being an after-thought type of project. I'd want to do the whole thing from start to finish and do it big. *sigh* We all can dream, can't we?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Good thoughts. Welcome to the site. Hope to see you posting more great stuff.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JWskiman View Post
    I still think the best I ever saw was "Shogun", and if DT could match its scope, it could be very well done indeed.
    Oh bloody hell! Shogun was brilliant!! I have all the James Clavell books and was not at all disappointed by the series

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

At first I was totally against The Dark Tower being a set of animated movies but, now that I have the way they used it for Beowulf, I think it might be the way to go. With the motion-capture technology used in Beowulf the characters could look pretty real and it would solve problems like Jake aging and recreating some of the crazy things that King has thought up. I guess how well Beowulf does at the box office will determine if more movies will be made that way.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I can see everyone's votes! teehee.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Along the Path of the Beam Rolands_Father is on a distinguished road Rolands_Father's Avatar

If a movie did ever come out, I would definitly send one of my lesser DT junkie friends, that dont care as much, just to see what they said about it. You now... Just to stay on the safe side. It means alot to me, and i hope SK is critiquing it the entire time. They Can't SCREW IT UP!!!!!!!! After all $19 for the rights is alot of $money$!!!!!
    The Dark Tower...
    Simply The Best

Roland Rocks Mid-World!!!
    And all other Worlds!!!

Traveler Dan Dinh is on a distinguished road Dan Dinh's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted movies. Beowulf style CGI would be awesome.

I think a Tv miniseries is the way it will probably end up though.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree, I think in the end it may be the only way they can really do it.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted for computer animated movie. I think they would have so many more resources available to make it work. 7 movies would be too much. 3 might be too little.

I would hope they could follow the sequence of events just as the books were written. And I do think W&G could stand on it's own. The only change would have to be the cliffhanger ending of III.

Great question!!!!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast