Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: How would you like to see it done?

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seven Movies

98 51.31%
  • Seven Cartoons

4 2.09%
  • Seven Computer Animated Movies

13 6.81%
  • A Miniseries

34 17.80%
  • Nothing, they could never do it right!

42 21.99%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you like to see it done? The Official DT Movie Thread

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

JJ Abrams (Lost, Cloverfield) has the option Rolands_Father - I think he's got enough talent (more importantly, he's an avid fan of the series) to do it a level of justice. I can't see Abrams putting out some shithouse teleseries with bad effects.

What I'm worried about is the screenplay being a complete literal translation of the books. There's some dialogue and character interaction that would be plain hokey if done word-by-word on screen - I just hope the writers of the films understand the DT characters thoroughly so they can recreate them for the big screen. This is what normally lets King movies down, I think - the characters are not as believable as you'd hope - with notable exceptions of Shawshank and The Green Mile, and liberties were taken with both of those to make them work.

It wouldn't bother me if certain things were changed slightly to make a better film. And they'd need a fucking good cast - which comes down to the script again. Talented actors would just ignore a poor script.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Traveler shaggyamy is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I voted for movies but I also agree that there would be a lot of pieces left out. My second choice would be mini-series.
    This series changed my life (in ways I don't even know) and I feel that putting it on film will allow it to touch so many others in the same way- I wouldn't want others to miss out on that and I also hope it would cause many more to read the series and re-live the story the way it should be.

Although I do agree that if the funding isn't available it should not be filmed.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    . also it's a western, and all good people love westerns.

...and thus those people who do not love westerns are not good people?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Along the Path of the Beam NeverAgain is on a distinguished road NeverAgain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd say Drawing of the Three would be Best Picture.

That being said, as much as I love Abrams, I'd rather someone else do it. Im guessing there are already other topics on the subject of the Darktower picture, but I'm going to continue my thoughts. The movie needs to be a Western. It must feel like a Western. I say only these people can pull off this movie. Cronenberg, Nolan, and Boyle. I'm sure there are a couple of others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

It'd be interesting to team up Bertolucci and Argento again. I bet they could create an excellent adaptation of the TDT series.

Traveler skoldpadda is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    i'd have the soundtrack done by either Marc Ribot or Bill Frisell though I suspect only Frunobulax may know who I am talking about. Both are great experimental guitarists who have done extensive scoring and soundtrack work, a lot of which I have listened to reading the series and it works PERFECTLY. either or both could create a masterful score for the series.
    I like Ribot a lot more, but I think Frisell would work better for DT... his whole country deal works with the western kind of thing.

I think Wizard and Glass itself would be an award winning movie.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I haven't voted, but I think seven live-action movies would be my preference--IF it could do justice to the books. I'd hate to see them cut something important because even seven movies wasn't enough to fit it in....

The miniseries idea could theoretically solve that, but that'd be #2 on my list because aside from (possibly) losing the seven-part structure, there's also the possibility of special effects (and other considerations) being inferior in such a format.

However, it might be nice if a story like The Dark Tower could prompt the TV crew to do the absolute best they could, and not just prove themselves to be "not good enough for movies," as I think they tend to be regarded. Plus they might be able to film all at once, which could only help (I don't want to see Jake age over the course of seven movies, and who ever heard of filming seven MOVIES at the same time?).

Then again, the theatrical format might reach a wider audience, which would only be all to the good....

I don't know, for me it's kind of a toss-up between the two. I would personally want the seven-part format intact if it could be done right, but I don't want quality sacrificed for something like that.

John F. Kennedy mallory is on a distinguished road mallory's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i honestly dont believe it could be done..and done proper. Its just such a vast and untouchable thing.. I would disappointed if it were done poorly..SO i say..leave it alone.. and let our imaginations run within the books themselves..if it ain't broke...don't fix it )
    WHAT HAS A BED BUT NEVER SLEEPS ...

Traveler Darkness Howls is on a distinguished road Darkness Howls's Avatar

A tall mountain, away from goats and peasants...
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmm...I'm not sure. Though I'd love to see it done in seven full-length movies (hey, they're doing it with Harry Potter, aren't they?), I doubt they'd be able to pull it off well, and although the DT is a popular series, I don't think it would be popular enough for seven movies...

The most realistic film adaptation idea seems to me to be a TV miniseries. Maybe 14-20 episodes, spreading each book out over a span of 2-4 episodes. Or maybe even make it a full-blown series and have each book be a ~21 episode season...a stretch, maybe, but it would be great if they did it well and survived through seven seasons.

*Nibbles on kitten*
    Eat a kitten, save a cow!

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness Howls View Post
    Though I'd love to see it done in seven full-length movies (hey, they're doing it with Harry Potter, aren't they?)
    Actually, I've heard they're stretching the last Harry Potter film into TWO movies, supposedly because they can't cut ANYTHING out of the book and it's too long for one movie (but I can't help noticing they're supposed to come out the exact same years as the two Hobbit movies)....

And what are you, a Melmacian?

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I almost voted for 'Nothing'..because it is so epic and so very, very close to my heart I would almost think it could never be good enough. But I love movies as much as I love books, and if Harry Potter was worth 7 movies, then the Dark Tower is DEFINITELY worth that.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

I voted big screen movie because I just love seeing movies in the theatre (with the exception of those FUCKING commercials).

But I'd be happy with a t.v. mini, too.

...as long as either way had a decent budget, of course.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Gunslinger Apprentice LemurJones is on a distinguished road

I don't know how I feel about a DT movie. There are some things that I think they can only really do with animation, and some things that I think they can only really do with live-action filming.

Maybe they could do the main books into movies and have animated bits for the short in-between stories (a la Clone Wars)

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by LemurJones View Post
    I don't know how I feel about a DT movie. There are some things that I think they can only really do with animation, and some things that I think they can only really do with live-action filming.

Maybe they could do the main books into movies and have animated bits for the short in-between stories (a la Clone Wars)
    Wait--what? What short in-between stories...?

Um.... like... for instance... the stuff with dinky earnshaw... or the little sisters of eluria... or maybe some of the "we're traveling, we're traveling, the road is long and we're traaaaveeeellliiiing" parts.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I would want a tv series personally...

My Mood
    Angelic

Um.... like... for instance... the stuff with dinky earnshaw... or the little sisters of eluria... or maybe some of the "we're traveling, we're traveling, the road is long and we're traaaaveeeellliiiing" parts.
    Those aren't really part of The Dark Tower, not as I understand it....

Well nobody says YOU have to watch the cartoons.

Edit: What I really mean is, there are stories that don't make sense out of context. You need to at least know about the Dark Tower to really get Everything's Eventual or Little Sisters, because they don't explain concepts that we take for granted when we as people who know about the Dark Tower's mythos read them.
    Last edited by LemurJones; 06-02-2008 at 07:19 PM. Reason: cuz lemur stupid

My Mood
    Angelic

Well nobody says YOU have to watch the cartoons.
    I...didn't mean that as a criticism, I was just trying to clarify....

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There aren't too many miniseries that I've seen done and enjoyed.... i.e., The Langoliers, that Shining miniseries... among others I'm sure. I would like to see seven movies.. Well they could probably put WotC and SoS together maybe... W&G would have to stand along I think... but maybe, just maybe they could combine The Gunslinger and TDofT... perhaps... Do a Harry Potter on us..

Traveler stellablue22 is on a distinguished road

Default The General Discussion of The Dark Tower Movie thread

i was just wondering if anyone has any new news on the dark tower movies directed by j.j. abrams? i just heard about it the other day and noticed that all of the articles were from last year. can anyone fill me in?

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

just that should take a year or two

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

star trek was supposed to be out on x-mas of this year but they postponed it

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

for like the what, fifth time?

My Mood
    Worried

well they had posters and everything for x-mas but they said they want to release it next year because then there will be a better chance of it doing well. Iguess they were scared of running up against Indy and Ironman...

Traveler stellablue22 is on a distinguished road

Default thanks

thank you everyone... thats all i needed to know. i can wait that long... i know they will make it worthwhile in the end.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast