Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Obsession

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default spoiler tags added

That isn't a wiki type site. It shows definitions from various dictionaries.

Addiction and obsession are similar but separated by a thick line. I know people who are obsessed with things and while annoying and sometimes tiresome it is hardly unhealthy. Some people are overly obsessed which can lead down an unhealthy road.

My best friend for most of my life got addicted to drugs. To the point he started stealing from everyone, every member of my family. It didn't matter what he was stealing, as long as he could get high at the end. Still, to this day since we've broken ties he's no intention of paying us back over a thousand dollars. An obsessed person does not do this. Obsessed people do not share that same desperation that addicts do. That is what separates them and defines them. I've seen a lot of people go down the road to addiction and I know the signs.

King struggled with addictions his whole life; cigarettes, booze and blow. He even alluded to it during his conversation with Roland and Eddie. King made his point to describe how similar the both of them looked. The Tower is Roland's addiction.
    Spoiler:
    Until he relinquishes the tower he will continue to loop.
    Obsession with the tower is one thing. Roland needs it, craves it, just has to see it with his own two eyes. The way Roland walked like a puppet towards the tower when he got close display how powerless he was to the Tower's whims. It's the same with a heroin addict who needs a fix and has no money; they may sell themselves, mug/steal and even go as far as injuring/killing someone. You don't see obsessed joggers mugging people for a new pair of jogging shorts.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

What about obsessive over or under eating? That will flat kill you but I guess someone could argue that those are addictions as well.

obsession/addiction--the two seem very close to me.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I feel a merger coming on

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What about obsessive over or under eating? That will flat kill you but I guess someone could argue that those are addictions as well.
    Over/Under eating is often caused by physiological and psychological reasons. Some people eat because it tastes good and thus makes them feel better; others simply have big appetites and learned no discipline. Most undereaters suffer from anorexia and bulemia (both disorders). It falls much more under addiction or habitual practises than obsession.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Mattrick, you should get a job as a head shrink
    You seem to know a lot about all this stuff

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I probably should. I can analyze people and even understand why they behave the way they do. Understanding and decrypting people has always been a hobby of mine, if not my calling. I could go into psychology, already know enough about and love it but I don't think it's for me. I don't think I could listen to people all day, bitch about their problems. I'd end up having my own shrink (like Dr. Melfi) to discuss my own patients.

This is why I decided to write and hopefully direct. I'm writing a book about addiction now because of my experience with it. At least with writing I can create it all, down to the last detail. However, I wrote it with a certain ambiguity so the reader has to try and understand why the character behave the way they do through their actions and small, very breif backstory information.

Shit, I should stop now. I could talk for days about the human mind and it's workings. Or what I call (I'm sure its been dubbed before) The Human Condition. Maybe I should write a non-fiction book about it. But that would take having a doctorette, a reputation and people willing to be subjects or me.

I believe when every child is born they are blank, empty. Their initial personality is molded in infancy, mimicing their own surroundings. This is probably why personality traits of mother and father primarily, siblings secondary will imprint on a child. I always wonder how a child would turn out if you never told him Santa or related things existed. It's become that learning Santa is fake has become a stepping stone, a rung everyone must pass on the ladder of life. It's a small, almost insignificant fact in the big picture but would it make a difference in life? How would they react to holidays as a kid, would Christmas matter? What would a childhood be if Christmas was meaningless? Big wonder of mine. I'm almost afraid that if I have kids I'll be analyzing them the entire time and even more araid I'll do experiments on them. I would end up like the Chenowith family (five points if you know the reference, bonus points for knowing who Dr. Melfi is )

EDIT - Well, I've had my own battles with addiction, have researched it and have seen friends degrade. I've seen a lot of drunks and enough crack addicts (I live in the crack capitol of Canada, yippie) to be able to spot them on site. Right now I'm quitting the nearly six year habit of smoking. I'm not so sure what is so hard about it. I guess if you've been smoking for ten+ years. I just don't think people can tell themselves they don't need it. I've also been overweight for the last ten years of my life (though killing at the gym now for months) and knew what I had to overcome, learning self-discipline.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I also wish Mattrick would be more careful about his spoilers in the future.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd suggest that addiction is a form of obsession. They are similar in some ways, but have subtle differences. I think the former exists within the latter. An obsession can become an addiction. These are just my initial thoughts on the matter though.

Without question, I think Roland was addicted and had progressed past mere obsession.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think - in addition to what I said here and Brice said in the post above - that obsession has to do with the content, and addiction with the modus operandi. You're obsessed with hope to win a million dollars, and addicted to the process of gambling. (again, if/when we have to discriminate. The two very much overlap) Or, one may be obsessed with the goal and addicted to the means of its achieving.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps the devision occurs at the level of a physical change. You are "addicted" to the white stuff and if you stop using it, it causes a physical change in your body.

I would be willing to draw that line but that throws out anything like sex and gambling. But I really agree that obsession is certainly the road to addiction.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I know people who are obsessed with things and while annoying and sometimes tiresome it is hardly unhealthy.
    Thats rather a fad than an obsession - yes, there are degrees of obsession but when you go on to say this: Some people are overly obsessed which can lead down an unhealthy road. - its contradictory to the point you're trying to make. You ignored all the points I made in my last post, so I'll repeat; what of obsessive fans who murder their idols (John Lennon, example) what of spurned lovers who kill...? Obsessive compulsives whose lives are ruled by irrational behaviour? Obsession is not unhealthy? As I also said before, obsession is an extreme behaviour, by its very nature its not normal.

Obsessed people do not share that same desperation that addicts do. That is what separates them and defines them.
    Not really, you're simply defining addiction as drug addiction. I'm trying to argue how similar addiction and obsession are - I don't deny they are separate - but they are both desperate states, both with potentially harmful consequences.

I could talk for days about the human mind and it's workings. Or what I call (I'm sure its been dubbed before) The Human Condition.
    Yep, sorry to burst your bubble, but it sure has been "dubbed" that before...only for the last 100 years or so.
    I believe when every child is born they are blank, empty. Their initial personality is molded in infancy, mimicing their own surroundings. This is probably why personality traits of mother and father primarily, siblings secondary will imprint on a child.
    Er, yeah, this too - being one of the basic principles of behavioural psychology!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I think - in addition to what I said here and Brice said in the post above - that obsession has to do with the content, and addiction with the modus operandi. You're obsessed with hope to win a million dollars, and addicted to the process of gambling. (again, if/when we have to discriminate. The two very much overlap) Or, one may be obsessed with the goal and addicted to the means of its achieving.
    I agree. Infact, to conclude my views on this subject I'd say that all addicts are obsessive, but not all obsessives are addicts. Therefore Mattrick, I think Letti's title for this thread - in the context of what we're discussing re: Roland and the Tower - is just as valid as it would be if she'd named it "Addiction".

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Obsessed people do not share that same desperation that addicts do. That is what separates them and defines them.
    Not really, you're simply defining addiction as drug addiction.
    that was a very shrewd observation. I believe it alone could put an end to that particular argument between you two.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Never fear, I am now done with this argument.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Thats rather a fad than an obsession - yes, there are degrees of obsession but when you go on to say this: Some people are overly obsessed which can lead down an unhealthy road. - its contradictory to the point you're trying to make. You ignored all the points I made in my last post, so I'll repeat; what of obsessive fans who murder their idols (John Lennon, example) what of spurned lovers who kill...? Obsessive compulsives whose lives are ruled by irrational behaviour? Obsession is not unhealthy? As I also said before, obsession is an extreme behaviour, by its very nature its not normal.
    Though I do not know if the person who murdered John Lennon had been stone cold sober for weeks prior to shooting him that obsession led to that alone. Drugs/alcohol can change perception, miscontrue facts and cause people to do things they wouldn't normally do. Obsessed people who commit violent acts already often have personality and mental disorders which makes them more prone to such acts. Obsession forms a much finer line with insanity than addiction.

Not really, you're simply defining addiction as drug addiction. I'm trying to argue how similar addiction and obsession are - I don't deny they are separate - but they are both desperate states, both with potentially harmful consequences.
    Because in the case of Roland and the Tower it is drug addiction. The Tower is Roland's SOLE reason for existing. In the mind of a drug addict the drug is their SOLE reason for existing. It's what they think about over 80% of the time. People get addicting to everything; fast food, gum, cigarettes, coffee, toy trains, video games etc.

It doesn't make sense to be obsessed with the outcome of your addiction. That would mean you're just plain addicted. No spin on words available here.

Yep, sorry to burst your bubble, but it sure has been "dubbed" that before...only for the last 100 years or so.
    I'm pretty well aware of that. But see, I talk from observation not a textbook. Not sure how you burst my bubble as I even said it's probably been said before.

Er, yeah, this too - being one of the basic principles of behavioural psychology!
    Except for the fact it's commonly believed that genes modify behaviours, that alcoholism is passed down genetically than say, atmospherically.

I agree. Infact, to conclude my views on this subject I'd say that all addicts are obsessive, but not all obsessives are addicts. Therefore Mattrick, I think Letti's title for this thread - in the context of what we're discussing re: Roland and the Tower - is just as valid as it would be if she'd named it "Addiction".
    [/quote]

All addicts are obsessive but not all obsessives are addicts? I've still never met anyone that would allow kids fall into chasms because they are obsessed.

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/obsession

I find it funny how Obsession is a synonym for addiction but addiction isn't a synonym for obsession. Obsession = fixation, Addiction = Habit and as we all know Roland perpetually quests for the tower. Sounds more of a habit than a fixation to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2