Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Many Different Rolands?

Threaded View

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I don't see the horn of Eld as a gift -- I see it as evidence. Evidence that the Roland we see now is an improved version. Roland 2.0 (or 19.0, if you like). His previous self was so focused on the Tower that he couldn't take his eyes from the quest long enough to pick up this value item. Roland 19.0 is better. Less flawed. Not perfect. Not guaranteed to break free from the upward spiral of his existence (not a loop; he starts the journey slightly elevated from his previous position) on this particular journey but he will some day.
    When you say the horn is not a gift, what am I to infer? That God is superfluous?
    If existence is an impersonal mechanism which does nothing but cycle naturally to no purpose, yet Roland, as a human, is able by act of will to improve himself, thus turning it into a spiral, then the same questions remain: Does that spiral have a top? Can he ever reach it? What would he find at that point? Can he ascend all the way to Godhood?

If Roland on his own gives meaning to his universe, then what is the significance of this fact? Is a spiral that goes nowhere really any different from a loop? If the order of the multiverse which Roland seeks in the Dark Tower is in fact created by the very act of someone like him looking for it, does this imply that objective answers are illusionary? Should he ever reach the point that he is able to decide that in fact he is just chasing the wind, then he could, I guess, break away to freedom, as you say. However, would such freedom be worth having? Isn't that analogous to returning to the chaos of the prim?

If any of these are the fundamental condition of reality, then is trying to simply get whatever enjoyment the absurdity of nature might provide the best that man can hope for? In that case, I would personally prefer oblivion. (If oblivion were possible.)
    Last edited by pathoftheturtle; 12-17-2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: top of the page