Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: General Comic News ( Industry / Retail / Artist / etc. )

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, my friend told me about this the other day.
    I think this next picture is relevant to the discussion.

Anyway, I agree with Brainslinger; Disney probably won't do much to screw things up, but it came as a surprise.
    To me, at least.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Yes, Pixar. Worse once Disney got their mitts on it.
    Really? Except for Cars, all of their films have been fantastic.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

'til the end of the world rosie real is on a distinguished road rosie real's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

la paula that pic rocks!

and by the way - didn't disney buy miramax back in the day? and that wasn't ruined. at least i don't think it was. so. . . .

ETA: of course i thought some dude named dead pool was spiderman so wtf do i know?
    Last edited by rosie real; 09-08-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: shut up razzle, just shut up. :P

. . . but i'm paralyzed with not caring very much.
    ~ spike

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rosie real View Post

ETA: of course i thought some dude named dead pool was spiderman so wtf do i know?
    deadpool is fairly modern character (created in the 90s) and is too violent and insane to become an icon the way spidey is ( his costume isa bit similar) though when it comes to sanity peter parker did trade his marriage to a supermodel in a deal with the devil to keep his frequently near death aunt alive, his grasp on reality has never ben that strong lol
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I'm not sure Miramax has done much since the Weinstein's left, honestly, and that was directly due to issues they had with Disney over creative control.

I just don't know - I think Paula may be more accurate with her photo than we all want to admit !

And... I can completely see Disney pushing any Marvel film with a great big fat - "Bring that in with a PG-13".
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    And... I can completely see Disney pushing any Marvel film with a great big fat - "Bring that in with a PG-13".
    I actually don't mind films toned to PG13 as long as effort is made with the storyline. PG13 still gives plenty of scope for a mature adult storyline. It can be pretty dark too. There'd be less lashings of ultra-violence, and rumpy pumpy (not that there was ever much of the latter in superhero stories. ) but that's probably not a bad thing. It just might require the creators rethinking ways to get the point across more subtley.

My Mood
    Gay

Warner Bros shakes up DC Comics division
    By Alex Dobuzinskis

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – A Warner Bros executive guiding "Harry Potter's" box office magic will be taking control of Superman as well, the Hollywood studio said on Wednesday in a shake-up of its DC Comics brand.

In its reorganization of DC Comics, Warner Bros changed the division's name to DC Entertainment Inc and named movie executive Diane Nelson as president of the unit, with the goal of using DC's characters across film, television, video games and consumer products, Warner Bros said.

Nelson manages the studio's "Harry Potter" movie franchise. This year's "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" has made more than $917 million at worldwide box offices since its July release. Nelson will continue her role with "Harry Potter."

Warner Bros is a unit of Time Warner Inc.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Gay

Disney's Bob Iger Talks Marvel at D23
    by Mark Cronan/CBR Fri, September 11th, 2009

The 4,000-seat arena was packed this Thursday at the Anaheim Convention Center for the opening remarks of Disney’s first annual D23 Expo, touted as the “Ultimate Disney Fan Experience.”

After an introduction to the D23 fan club and review of Disney’s global resources and reputation for creative storytelling, Disney President and CEO Bob Iger remarked on Disney’s recent acquisition of Marvel. “Now for anyone who hasn’t heard, just last week we announced that Disney plans to acquire Marvel Entertainment,” Iger said to rousing applause from the hardcore Disney fans attending the Expo from around the nation. “Marvel owns world renowned superheroes such as Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, X-Men, and Thor, and thousands of others. We’re incredibly excited because we’re not only providing the great characters and storylines that Marvel has always produced, but we’re bringing together two groups of really talented and dedicated people whose creativity and passion have made both their companies successful over a long period of time.”

Iger addressed some of the reasons behind the acquisition, emphasizing the similarity between Disney and Marvel creators and stories. “Marvel stories are marked by great storytelling, creativity and artistic innovation. Does that sound familiar?” he said.

Speaking to some of the potential for Marvel characters to achieve more global appeal, Iger said, “Marvel characters transcend gender, age, culture, and geographical boundaries, and [do that] successfully on both traditional and on new media platforms. So the possibilities are endless for using Disney’s global resources to extend and increase the popularity of the Marvel brand and the characters that were brought to life by Marvel’s great creative team.”

Iger outlined the composition of those global resources. Disney can bring to bare quite a long list of affiliated companies and capital, including: The Walt Disney Studios and their dozen companies and divisions; theme parks and resorts including a large cruise line; consumer product sales and distribution, including high end collectibles, worldwide retail stores, and the world's largest publisher of children’s books and magazines; media networks in television, radio, publishing, and the internet; and most importantly a large fan base spanning 86 years of history.

Iger concluded his Marvel-related comments by again accentuating the similarities between the two companies: “Iconic, memorable characters are of course the Disney mainstay as well.”

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We’re incredibly excited because we’re not only providing the great characters and storylines that Marvel has always produced,
    Okay, that bit might have proven my past comments wrong. Mind you, 'providing' could simply mean 'distributing' rather than 'creating'. I hope so anyway.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    We’re incredibly excited because we’re not only providing the great characters and storylines that Marvel has always produced,
    Okay, that bit might have proven my past comments wrong. Mind you, 'providing' could simply mean 'distributing' rather than 'creating'. I hope so anyway.
    I hope so, too!
    Please.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Make that three!
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Four!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sale estimates for #4 of Fall of Gilead have come in. It came in at #63 for the month of August, selling 35,607 copies.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Gay

Thanks, again, CG!!

I love knowing these numbers. Are you still getting the info from ICv2 ?

Country
    Country Flag

Yep.

I wonder if the increasingly low sales has to do with Jae Lee's absence, and if they will bump up when he returns. The final issue for Treachery was at #27, and now we're all the way down to #63. I personally don't see buying or dropping a title based on the art alone, but...

My Collection

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It seems to me that the sales decreased as the story went further from the content originally written by King and into content written by Furth. I am sorry, but look at the extreme quality in the storytelling for Gunslinger Born and compare it to Treachery or Fall of Gilead. King has something special in how he tells a story; Furth doesnt have that. I wish she did.
    Heng Dai

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I think it's a combination of Jae Lee's absence and lack of mind-blowing excitement in the storytelling. I've got to say I've been disappointed at what seems like Furth falling back on cliche's in regards to certain characters, namely the Crimson King and Aileen.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

In all fairness, the trades are selling better from what I've seen.

Personally, I thought the Gunslinger Born was pretty weak too with how it handled the Susan/Cordelia storyline and Rhea's detoriation (among other things). The finale with Cordelia and Rhea plotting together for Charyou Tree and rallying the town was fantastic because everything prior with them had lead up to it. It was just a wonderful payoff. And in the comics it's just, "Meh, who are these people?"

I seem to be in the minority, but I still think "The Long Road Home" was the best. It was one of the few times when I couldn't wait to get my hands on the next issue.

My Collection

My Mood
    Gay

Initially, I was leaning away from Jae Lee's absense playing into it - but honestly, his art ( and his covers! ) are just so amazing, it's very possible that had something to do with it. He's got a great following of fans.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

It could also be that The Long Road Home and Treachery didnt really have anything to keep people reading single issues, they could have easily been combined into one arc.
    Fall of Gilead is actually pretty good and I look forward to the next series.
    Sales could be down because of The Stand and SK fans might just give up on single issues and wait for the Trade since the novelty has worn down.
    The Talisman looks abismal which might hurt sales for all SK comics.

Traveler markadie01 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Do you believe that with Disney owning Marvel that Marvel will change everything? I mean the dark tower is a pretty grim comic and I don't see Disney holding on to it, do you think they will discontinue the comic and never let use see the drawings of the Jake, Eddie, Oy, and Susannah?

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

When I was in Disney World a couple of weeks ago I asked someone that worked there about the purchase when we were at Hollywood Studios. She was pretty excited because she said that the park doesn't get as much traffic as some of the others. She thinks that some Marvel characters are going to show up at Hollywood Studios and she was hoping that would make her park more popular.

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by markadie01 View Post
    Do you believe that with Disney owning Marvel that Marvel will change everything? I mean the dark tower is a pretty grim comic and I don't see Disney holding on to it, do you think they will discontinue the comic and never let use see the drawings of the Jake, Eddie, Oy, and Susannah?
    Whoa.
    This worries me.

My Mood
    Gay

I just think that Disney is famous for being DISNEY and for making sure everything DISNEY is known to be DISNEY.

I also think that Marvel won't have a choice but to change things. They're now owned by another company. If that company ( Disney ) didn't have some plans or expectations, I doubt they would have purchased them.

Country
    Country Flag

The current run of comics shouldn't be affected one bit by the takeover, even if Disney were to poke their noses into the creative side of Marvel* the fact remains that the current run of DT comics are all plotted out now. As for even more DT comics, well they needn't be overtly violent or sexy to tell a good story.

As for Eddie, Suze and Jake, while I'm interested in seeing a comic artists' take on the characters, I don't want to see a graphical representation of the current novels. New stories set between books... maybe, but I'd rather that were kept within the creative province of Stephen King himself.

* As I've said, I doubt they will have much to do with the creative side of Marvel, at least in the comics. (I'm not so sure about future film adaptations considering the sudden frenzy in getting new films off the ground). Even if they did increase the censorship of Marvel stories toning down the violence, etc, I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not overly prudish about comics. I read 2000 AD for goodness sake, and some of the violence in that makes Marvel and DC look pretty tame (not including Vertigo and more horror niche stuff like Marvel Zombies). And the Marvel/DC stuff I tend to gravitate too tends to be rather dark like Swamp Thing and Constantine. But the point is, if the censorship is turned up, maybe it will give the creators more inclination to work on their plotting to get around it. To plot and draw decent stories with subtlety in other words. Not that they aren't in some stories, I don't intend that as a criticism. And not that a subtle story can't be violent two. I just mean that for those who decided to take a more heavy handed approach in shocking or titillating their readers, forcing their creators to take a more subtle approach could work to the comics benefit as long as the creators took that opportunity.

I'm referring to Marvel's future work as a whole here not the DT comics which, as I've said, likely won't be affected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast