Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: General Comic News ( Industry / Retail / Artist / etc. )

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

It's official: Comic-Con 2010 is sold out

Comic-Con International has sold out, two months ahead of last year's event, after the remaining Sunday memberships were purchased late this afternoon.

The early sellout comes as no surprise, as four-day passes disappeared in November, while Saturday memberships were gone by mid-December, almost four months earlier than those for the 2009 convention. The other two days weren't far behind, with Friday selling out in January and Thursday going the way of the dodo just two weeks ago.

The news arrives as Anaheim and Los Angeles step up their efforts to lure Comic-Con from San Diego, where the event long ago outgrew the city's convention center, resulting in a capping of attendance at about 125,000.

Comic-Con's contract expires in 2012, but the San Diego Convention Center Corp. is seeking to extend the agreement an additional three years, in part, by securing commitments from three waterfront hotels to provide for free about 300,000 square feet of meeting space from 2013 to 2015. The San Diego Convention Center has 615,700 square feet of exhibit space, compared to the Los Angeles Convention Center's 720,000 square feet and the Anaheim Convention Center's 815,000.

There's also an effort by San Diego to increase the number of dedicated convention hotel rooms from 7,000 to 14,000, which would give the city a great advantage over Anaheim and L.A. (The former has about 4,500 hotel rooms within walking distance of its convention center, the latter just 2,000.)

Comic-Con begins July 21 with Preview Night, and continues through July 25.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Displaying Comics

I've had a quick look for the answer to this question and i couldn't find it anywhere, so whats people's opinions as i have quite a few comics now and they are all just stuck together on a bottom shelf and im sure there must be a better way to see them displayed!?!?!!?

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I have slipcases for mine that I bought from the Overlook Connection. They fit all the comics nicely and look good on a shelf. I'll try and remember to post up a couple pics when I get home tonight.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Gay

Tito - Another option, besides the slipcase is to buy individual frames for the comics.

I have several signed comics that I purchased frames for and have hanging up.

I use a "kit" sold by BagsUnlimited which features a archival matte and conservation grade acrylic front sheet, which helps block harmful UV. They cost about $35 each. Kind of pricey, but worth it for me.

HOWEVER - a comic should never be displayed in direct sunlight. Never.

Another framing option is FramesByMail, but again - never display in direct sunlight.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    I've had a quick look for the answer to this question and i couldn't find it anywhere, so whats people's opinions as i have quite a few comics now and they are all just stuck together on a bottom shelf and im sure there must be a better way to see them displayed!?!?!!?
    What's quite a few? I put my single issues in a standard longbox. I don't have them on display, that is reserved for trades and graphic novels. I'm one of those suckers who buys single issues as they come out and then also a collection, if at all possible in hardcover.

I haven't framed any yet but if I do they would have to be if not rare than somehow important to me and definitely black and white.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Errrrrrr well i have most of the Dark Tower series with most of the varients/sketch issues so quite a few thanks for the ideas everyone because at the moment they are all just stored on the bottom shelf where i can't see any of the front covers!

My Mood
    Gay

Tito - Please please please tell me that at the very minimum, you have them in bags with boards, right?!?!

You can get yourself a comic half-box for storage, but it wouldn't be for display.

John F. Kennedy mattv2099 is on a distinguished road mattv2099's Avatar

I intend to put my DT comic collection in the bottom shelf of a barrister bookcase. This particular shelf will have a solid wood door that won't let any light in.

Currently they are in a long box from the comic shop and hidden away from view in my closet.

My Mood
    Gay

Matty - that sounds fine. They're bagged and boarded, yes?

If you have a set or two - the slipcases from Overlook that Daggers mentioned above are pretty cool looking on a bookshelf.

John F. Kennedy mattv2099 is on a distinguished road mattv2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Matty - that sounds fine. They're bagged and boarded, yes?

If you have a set or two - the slipcases from Overlook that Daggers mentioned above are pretty cool looking on a bookshelf.

All but a few.

I went to the comic shop recently to get bags and boards for my DT sketch books. I thought 30 would do it... I was wrong - LOL.

So maybe 5 Dt sketchbooks I still need to bag and board. All other comics I buy come with bags and boards except of course the CGC graded comics.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yup all bagged & boarded so no worries there, i think i might have to look at these slipcases and i will have to have a look through to see if there are any i want framing!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The vast majority of my comics are in comic book longboxes - all bagged and boarded.

My signed comic books are also bagged and boarded, but are stored in cheap cardboard magazine holder things in my bookcase. I need to replace these with some sort of appropriate comic book slipcase.

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I have slipcases for mine that I bought from the Overlook Connection. They fit all the comics nicely and look good on a shelf. I'll try and remember to post up a couple pics when I get home tonight.
    Daghain, please post photos if you get a chance. I can't tell anything from Overlook's website.

If anyone has any of the Locke & Key slipcases, I would be especially interested in seeing those as well.

Thanks.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Gay

Patrick - They make a "short box", also sometimes called a "half box", for bagged/boarded comics as well.

I prefer the Short Box ( that's what she said ) just because the regular (long) boxes are so darn heavy when they're full, I can barely lift them.

My Mood
    Gay

Judge tosses lawsuit against Marvel, Stan Lee

NEW YORK (Reuters) – A Manhattan federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit against Marvel Entertainment Inc and comic book creator Stan Lee over the ownership of famous characters including Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, The Fantastic Four and X-Men.

The $750 million lawsuit filed on behalf of Stan Lee Media Inc alleged that shareholders were harmed when Lee in 1998 transferred rights to the characters to Marvel, which is now owned by Walt Disney Co. Stan Lee Media filed for bankruptcy protection in 2001.

In a March 31 ruling, U.S. District Judge Paul Crotty noted that litigation over the characters had lasted nearly a decade in various state and federal courts in New York, California and Colorado, and included a securities class-action settlement.

"It is now time to call a halt," Crotty wrote in his 14-page opinion.

The judge concluded that the shareholders, Jose Abadin and Christopher Belland, lacked standing to sue because they did not acquire their Stan Lee Media shares until 1999, more than a year after the alleged illegal conduct.

Crotty also said the shareholders waited too long by not filing their latest lawsuit until January 2009, saying they "cannot wait a decade to enforce their rights."

A lawyer for the plaintiffs did not immediately return a call seeking comment on Monday.

Disney acquired Marvel on December 31 for about $4.2 billion in cash and stock.

The case is Abadin et al v. Marvel Entertainment Inc et al, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 09-00715.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    The vast majority of my comics are in comic book longboxes - all bagged and boarded.

My signed comic books are also bagged and boarded, but are stored in cheap cardboard magazine holder things in my bookcase. I need to replace these with some sort of appropriate comic book slipcase.

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Daghain, please post photos if you get a chance. I can't tell anything from Overlook's website.

If anyone has any of the Locke & Key slipcases, I would be especially interested in seeing those as well.

Thanks.
    I'll get some up tonight.

I'm waiting for the ones for The Stand right now. The Overlook is SLOW in getting stuff done; they've been working on these since the comics came out. They'll be cool, though - the Stand logo will go across all the boxes for all the arcs.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, here you go. The pictures don't really do them justice; the foil embossing is pretty cool. I think you'd have room to bag and board the comics and they'd still fit. (Oh, and Miss Nosy Pants couldn't help herself LOL).

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Daghain!

Does anyone know if they all still fit in the slipcases when bagged and boarded? Seems like 6 or 7 boards would add a bit of thickness.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know for sure, but I *think* they would. you can email Dave at Overlook; I'd assume he'd know.

I DO know the slipcase for the first arc is significantly wider than 2 or 3 - no help there, I'm sure.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow those look great, i will have to see about getting some!

My Mood
    Gay

I'm pretty sure they would fit with the bags/boards ...

... and thank you Pixel for making a surprise guest appearance over here in the Comic Tower!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I could not get her to leave those alone, so I gave up and took the picture anyway. Now you know why her nickname is "Nosy Nora".

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone have the Locke & Key slipcases? I would love to see photos and feedback about those.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Those DT slipcases look great. I wish the first one would say just 1 and not 1-7.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, me too. I think the game plan changed somewhere down the line for those.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast