Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The One That Got Away

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow! Thanks the link, Tippy. That is a hell of a lot of desirable signatures. I would have payed much more than the $50 as well.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Didn't mean to sound harsh. That's why I put a smiley at the end.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I've wanted a copy of that book for a long time, yet I always forget to even look for it.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Some lucky bastard just got a S/L SIGNATURES for $49.99.

My computer locked up, and by the time it unfroze, I had missed the auction by two minutes.
    you dont have any phone with internet access? :-(
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I've had phones with (free) internet access for years, and I've never used them to go online, ever.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Some lucky bastard just got a S/L SIGNATURES for $49.99.

My computer locked up, and by the time it unfroze, I had missed the auction by two minutes.
    You dont have any phone with internet access? :-(
    I don't even own a cell phone.

Had one for a while...forgot to take it out of my pocket, and it went through a spin cycle and never worked again.

Really do need to get one.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't even own a cell phone.

Had one for a while...forgot to take it out of my pocket, and it went through a spin cycle and never worked again.

Really do need to get one.
    Wow! Life still gives surprises every day! I thought that everyone in the world have a cellphone
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger Apprentice shibus is on a distinguished road shibus's Avatar

My Computer didn't lock up so it didn't get away. Was no one else watching this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
    I guess it all comes down to a simple choice for me. "Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying".

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

A great buy, Greg.

Ari, neither my wife nor I have cell phones and we have no plans on getting any. One of my pet annoyances is people who talk while in line at the bank or the store or while they are sitting at a restaurant. Or driving.

John

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I was given one of those cell phones (Christmas present) you buy minutes for at convenience stores. I used it for maybe a month, and now it sits in my car uncharged. I hate the damned things. Not because they are bad in themselves, but because of the way they seem to have brainwashed the public into thinking they have to look at them every five seconds, even when sitting in a theater watching a movie, taking a bath, mowing the lawn, walking down the street, riding your bike, etc. Why they irk me like that I don't really know, but until they banish all land lines I don't want one.

And I agree with John's reasons also.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree it can be annoying someplaces (I'm not all day with my cellphone), but nevertheless I find it incredible useful in lots of situations, from some silly ones (an auction) to very important ones (two weeks ago a motorbike was ran over in front of me and police arrived 2 minutes after thanks to having a cellphone to call 911).

I have to buy an iPhone 4 soon, but that's because I'm developing videogames for it.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Here in Argentina cellphones are prohibited inside banks.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by shibus View Post
    My Computer didn't lock up so it didn't get away. Was no one else watching this?

I missed it.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by shibus View Post

I was, but since I already have 2 signed copy, I couldn't justify another one. Good buy, Greg!.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Greg, I wasn't watching it. I think Fred did himself a disservice in his title. If he had listed it as FIRESTARTER instead of FIRE STARTER, I would have seen it and put it on my watch list.

Congrats!

Cellphones: I have a cheapie $30 phone with not even a screen to see the time or caller info without flipping it open. No camera function either. I bought it last May when my last phone died of old age, I got this cheap one just for short time use until I'd have time to get an iPhone or something else nice. However I have just kept on using this one and I use it all the time.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Greg, I wasn't watching it. I think Fred did himself a disservice in his title. If he had listed it as FIRESTARTER instead of FIRE STARTER, I would have seen it and put it on my watch list.
    That, and "inscribed" instead of signed.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    So, not Sk-related, but it fits...and now has maybe a conclusion...

So, in January 2000, I made an effort to get copies of the January 1st, 2000 issues of a daily newspaper from all 50 states + DC...they all had colorful headlines, different graphics, etc, and obviously all the states did things a little differently.

I gathered them together with a minimum of drama, usually bought two copies from each state...

At some point, I get to Delaware...the Wilmington News-Journal. By the time I call, they have NO extra copies from that date! And it's the only statewide paper for the whole state! The only other Delaware paper doesn't publish on the weekends or holidays, so there was no true Jan. 1 issue.

A friend of a friend knew someone who had a copy...and he refused to sell! Even for $20, or whatever overprice I was willing to pay.

So, for 11 years, all I have in this set is a copy of the Salisbury, Md. Times, which I rationalize works because it's from the "Del-Mar-Va" peninsula...but we all know it's not the same.

Flashforward 11 years, and I'm messing around on Ebay a few days ago, and just looking up Jan. 1 issues and laughing because nobody is really selling them...but what do you think turns up? A Jan. 1, 2000 issue of the Wilmington, Del., News-Journal! I had to actually enlarge the image to see what state it was from...and didn't have any reason to suspect it was actually Delaware, other than random curiosity.

So, $16 w/shipping, which is certainly overpaying, but on the other hand, it completes (once it arrives) what is likely one of the few complete 50-state newspaper editions from that day...so as we all know, even the ones that got away end up circling around, if you give it enough time. You think you can beat me? You can't even slow me down...haha...
    Ugh...I might have spoken too soon.

So the shipper sent via media mail (which is fine), WITH delivery confirmation....but it's been three weeks, and the only scan is at the original post office.

We'll try to trace it, and the fact is it should up any time...but it's my fault for talking about a bird in the bush!

Only a $15 item, but of course that's not the issue...haha...

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've found that the Post Office is often negligent in scanning items. I've had items listed as "Notified for pick-up" show up on my doorstep a week or so later with no change in the status.

John

You're right.....and it is shipping via media mail, so they don't guarantee a committment or anything....still annoying, though; I've never had anything lost before!

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

.-.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here is what i couldnt get : a display for the french DOME.

I tried to get one for me and for ari... i couldnt get any. They were supposed to call me to tell me it was available, and... they never did and i kind of forgot as i was busy

http://stephen-king-et-moi.over-blog...-71726458.html
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Missed out on a lettered Firestarter....

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

There's always next time.

Country
    Country Flag

Still pissed off at 1 book that got away :

One day i found on a website, a limited edition of a short story, that was given away at an event with Bernard Werber (a french author that i follow as closely as King. I have all of his writing + many signatures & doodles + many proofs + many magazines & rare items).
    There was supposedly a print of 300 versions... but i never heard of that book before finding this copy online. I didnt ask him for any pictures, as i didnt want him to realise that it was a rare item, nor wanted to "annoy" him.
    The seller was selling it as a good price (about 15€ i believe). He offered me to go and collect it myself, but as i didnt have any time and he was at the other end of Paris (in the suburbs), i thought that it would be quicker to get it delivered.
    BIG MISTAKE. Especially for a "unique" item, i should have considered it differently.
    I never recieved the book. I complaint to the post office, who claims that the delivery had been signed. So i lost both the money (but i dont really care about 20€), and this unique opportunity.

That was in 2011. I still havent seen any other copies appearing. Let's hope that one will show up in 2013!
    So that balances with the good deal .
    Sometimes lucky, sometimes you feel you lucky... you make a silly mistake and you're not so lucky.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

3 or 4 years ago I bought a UK proof of THE GUNSLINGER published by Sphere from Greg (shibus) on eBay. It's really a rare proof and this one was going to be great because it was in such beautiful condition. I had long searched for one and was happy to finally be getting one.

My gut churned when the postman handed me the box. "Are you shitting me?", I thought. I was pretty sure in looking at the outer damage that the book was going to be hurt pretty bad......and I was right. To this day I am still looking for a copy of this proof. Pulling up these old photos makes me unhappy and mad all over again. Gosh, I hate the US Postal Service! I use alternatives whenever I can.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast