Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Endorsed by Stephen King

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

Correction to the above - the blurb to The Shadow of the Wind was taken from King's Pop of King column "It's Alive! Alive!"

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If anyone knows more, or find where some of those blurbs are extracted from...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Neil Gaiman's A Short Film About John Bolton, DVD COVER :

"Gaiman is, simply put, a treasure house of story."
    -Stephen King
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

WOW AWESOME!!!!!

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Michael Crichton A Case of Need

King writes a much longer endorsement inside the book:

"Fantastic.....I love anything Michael Crichton writes, but his earlier medical thrillers have been favorites of mine" -Stephen King

Also on the back:

"Fantastic...I Loved It"...Stephen King

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    Attached Images

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    Michael Crichton A Case of Need

King writes a much longer endorsement inside the book:

"Fantastic.....I love anything Michael Crichton writes, but his earlier medical thrillers have been favorites of mine" -Stephen King

Also on the back:

"Fantastic...I Loved It"...Stephen King

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    Yeah I had this one on my list. I'd like to know where this blurb comes from though!

====
    There are a few Gaiman's fans here (i dont know his work).
    I wonder if there could be a liner note inside the DVD... anyone could check?

Country
    Country Flag

If You Could See Me Now , by Peter Straub

This book have had an endorsement by Stephen King.
    Here is an excerpt from an email from Centipede Press, about a new edition :

One of the greatest ghost stories of the 1970s, If You Could See Me Now is a haunting and beautiful story of love and regret, an opportunity for a second chance, and the realization that the past can never be changed. It is also a chilling and devastating account of revenge and obsession.

This new edition features more than twelve full-page, full-color photographs by J.K. Potter. The book also features an afterword by Thomas Tessier, a reprint of the original 1977 dustjacket, a photograph of Peter Straub, a bonus short story by Straub (the bizarre "Variations on a
    Theme from Seinfeld") and an interview with Peter Straub by Jay Gregory. The book is elegantly typeset and has a rounded back, top-edge stain, ribbon marker, and printed endsheets.

This is a really classy, top-notch book that won't be available for long. We think that you'll agree it is on of the best books we have ever done.

Web price: $175
    http://www.centipedepress.com/ifyoucould.html

Special newsletter price: $150
    If you are interested, send a check to the address below or let me know and I can send you a PayPal invoice.

Special deal: order If You Could See Me Now at $150 and you can buy The Deadly Percheron hardcover edition for only $10 extra! If you already have The Deadly Percheron hardcover, let me know what you might be interested in and I am sure that we can swing something for you.

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

Default Sleep No More ~ Greg Iles

"Should come in a red wrapper marked DANGER HIGH EXPLOSIVES"
    Attached Images

Country
    Country Flag

BTW, Steve have written a column about blurbs:

the "art" of blurbs
    http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20185450,00.html

he says that he have written blurbs for about 3-4 movies, and probably about a hundred of books (up to march 2008)

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder how many one lines quotes he's provided?, gotta be thousands.

I started reading Richard Laymon because I saw one of his hardbacks with the line In you've missed Laymon your in for a treat - SK and I picked up Simmon's The Terror as it said I'm in awe of Dan Simmons - SK, on the top of it.

I'm a sucker for King quotes on books.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    I wonder how many one lines quotes he's provided?, gotta be thousands.

I started reading Richard Laymon because I saw one of his hardbacks with the line In you've missed Laymon your in for a treat - SK and I picked up Simmon's The Terror as it said I'm in awe of Dan Simmons - SK, on the top of it.

I'm a sucker for King quotes on books.
    According to his column, he must have written about 100 blurbs for books (at the date of march 2008.... )

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

"Hell House is the scariest haunted house novel ever written. It looms over the rest the way the mountains loom over the foothills."
    -- Stephen King

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Under the dome UK proof has this:

"I sure hope people like it"
    Stephen King
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Country
    Country Flag

Steve endorsing his own books? Aint really blurbs... is it?

Hey all,

I found an extra copy of the book that inspired this thread..LOL
    with the amusing endorsement by King "Great f*cking book!"
    Its a pretty hilarious book.

If anyone wants it I can post it to you for $8 bucks total.

Pm me if interested.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

thanks for the ad pablo...nice one!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been a Haldeman fan for a long time--his Forever War is great. I've never heard of that one.

John

Country
    Country Flag

http://upfromtheunderground.com/inde...d=44&Itemid=84

Stephen King Blurb Framed by New Genre Author PDF Print E-mail
    Written by Holden Pike
    Monday, 23 May 2005 17:00

New genre author received one of the highest and most aught after accolades in horror literature, a blurb by Stephen King. Having her first book published by the small press outfit of Darker Than Dark Books was her crowing achievement until she received the blurb packet in the mail from Mr. King’s office.

The packet contained a forty-page contract for the rights of use of the blurb as well as other stipulations on its use. “I mean I knew I would need a lawyer to go over my book contracts but who would have thought that you would need a lawyer to go over a blurb contract.”

Packing the hefty tome of a contract into her worn briefcase she made her way down to her literary lawyer’s office that happened to be attached to a laundry mat. After sifting through the pages upon pages of requirements she found out that a Stephen King Blurb (which by the way must be capitalized just like that when ever used) comes with a catch. “Well I can handle only using it on four hundred of my published books. That is reasonable. No reason to dilute his blurbage. But what gets me is the cut he wants of the sales of those four hundred copies as well as a small cut on the back end of the rest of the run.”

Without even giving it a second thought, she signed the contract and dropped it in the mail on her way back. “One consolation is that he did include a copy of the blurb in the packet. So I’m off to Frame-R-Us to get a nice frame so I can hang it next to all my rejection slips.”

I want to be sure that i correctly understand what is written : the blurb can only appear on 400 copies of the complete print run, right?

And that he gets some % on the sale of the 400 books... as well as a smaller percentage (i guess) of the complete print run.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Up from the underground is a parody site, like The Onion. Other articles on the same page include "Bush demands more money for war on zombies" and "HWA commisions 5 year old for next anthology cover artist."

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Ha! Talk about a case-study on how an urban legend can be created.

The second time I read it (after reading Bev's comment) I picked up on the 'lawyer office attached to the laundromat,' but until then it seemed perfectly legitimate - strange and kind of harsh, but possibly legitimate.

You wait - five years from now, people will be talking about how King gets a percentage of all uses of his name on a blurb...

Hmmm I'm actually really happy that this thread went this direction.
    It is no secret that I do not put Lawyers at the top of the Human Race in general, but I will try to keep this post neutral.

I have seen many times that a celebrities lawyer will do things that do not reflect the personal thinking of the author/artist/rock star/ etc etc.
    I've seen them trounce on very minor issues on the "little guy", many times the celebrity is not even aware of it. This is called "having a good lawyer" in the entertainment business and I bite my tongue saying that but its true.

I'd like to figure out something that has been puzzling me for a while.
    I recently picked up and read a book by Stewart O'Nan called "Speed Queen" by complete random, (which i thought was very good BTW). Had no idea it was King related, but I noticed the print on the spine was strange. Turns out the print was printed with the title "Dear Stephen King", and after a legal to do, King's lawyers allegedly forced the title to be dropped and the printed spines covered in a block white "Speed Queen".
    The projected sales for this title were very small and the cost of reprinting certainly killed it. It is a Doubleday book so that may add something to the story, but not sure what?
    If you look close you can see that somethings up with the spine print

So what really adds confusion, is that within a few years after (have to double check time line) King and O'Nan do the Baseball book together?

Bev, maybe you got some clue here? Curiosity has always killed me on this one.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Up from the underground is a parody site, like The Onion. Other articles on the same page include "Bush demands more money for war on zombies" and "HWA commisions 5 year old for next anthology cover artist."
    i didnt really pay attention to the other links. i guess i should have

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    http://upfromtheunderground.com/inde...d=44&Itemid=84

Stephen King Blurb Framed by New Genre Author PDF Print E-mail
    Written by Holden Pike
    Monday, 23 May 2005 17:00

New genre author received one of the highest and most aught after accolades in horror literature, a blurb by Stephen King. Having her first book published by the small press outfit of Darker Than Dark Books was her crowing achievement until she received the blurb packet in the mail from Mr. King’s office.

The packet contained a forty-page contract for the rights of use of the blurb as well as other stipulations on its use. “I mean I knew I would need a lawyer to go over my book contracts but who would have thought that you would need a lawyer to go over a blurb contract.”

Packing the hefty tome of a contract into her worn briefcase she made her way down to her literary lawyer’s office that happened to be attached to a laundry mat. After sifting through the pages upon pages of requirements she found out that a Stephen King Blurb (which by the way must be capitalized just like that when ever used) comes with a catch. “Well I can handle only using it on four hundred of my published books. That is reasonable. No reason to dilute his blurbage. But what gets me is the cut he wants of the sales of those four hundred copies as well as a small cut on the back end of the rest of the run.”

Without even giving it a second thought, she signed the contract and dropped it in the mail on her way back. “One consolation is that he did include a copy of the blurb in the packet. So I’m off to Frame-R-Us to get a nice frame so I can hang it next to all my rejection slips.”

I want to be sure that i correctly understand what is written : the blurb can only appear on 400 copies of the complete print run, right?

And that he gets some % on the sale of the 400 books... as well as a smaller percentage (i guess) of the complete print run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Ha! Talk about a case-study on how an urban legend can be created.

The second time I read it (after reading Bev's comment) I picked up on the 'lawyer office attached to the laundromat,' but until then it seemed perfectly legitimate - strange and kind of harsh, but possibly legitimate.

You wait - five years from now, people will be talking about how King gets a percentage of all uses of his name on a blurb...
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    i didnt really pay attention to the other links. i guess i should have

I apologize for getting off-topic of the thread, but there is this other story on the site...

Cemetery Dance Magazine to go Weekly
    Written by Holden Pike
    Thursday, 26 June 2008 07:00

CEMETERY DANCE has issued a press release that outlines their upcoming move from a sporadic release schedule to a weekly magazine.
    HA!. Yeah right. I'm, sorry I can't even keep a straight face typing it.
    Cemetery Dance Magazine To Go Weekly

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmaniscoming View Post
    Hmmm I'm actually really happy that this thread went this direction.

I'd like to figure out something that has been puzzling me for a while.
    I recently picked up and read a book by Stewart O'Nan called "Speed Queen" by complete random, (which i thought was very good BTW). Had no idea it was King related, but I noticed the print on the spine was strange. Turns out the print was printed with the title "Dear Stephen King", and after a legal to do, King's lawyers allegedly forced the title to be dropped and the printed spines covered in a block white "Speed Queen".
    The projected sales for this title were very small and the cost of reprinting certainly killed it. It is a Doubleday book so that may add something to the story, but not sure what?
    If you look close you can see that somethings up with the spine print

So what really adds confusion, is that within a few years after (have to double check time line) King and O'Nan do the Baseball book together?

Bev, maybe you got some clue here? Curiosity has always killed me on this one.
    Yeah, I see your point...but if you're in King's position, you have to protect your name - if he lets one person do something like that, use his name to sell a product, then it just starts down a slippery slope. It's not King's problem if the publisher's legal office didn't do it's proper vetting before printing a book...

Obviously, O'Nan didn't hold a grudge, I guess.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast