Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Robin Furth and Peter David / Dark Tower Comic Writers

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's too bad she had to spoil the ending for the series in the first Concordance, though...
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Ha, didn't know that! I didn't get the Concordance until I started working on the Towerpedia.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yep. In the first Concordance (which was written when only the first four books and the Revised Gunslinger were out) she writes that that
    Spoiler:
    Roland may be caught in a loop.
    I think partially because of what she wrote that theory became one of the most prevalent ones on the TDT.net forums prior to its release, so a lot of us weren't surprised when the last book came out.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Carrying over from the Jericho Hill #2 thread...
    CG - Thanks for bringing this stuff over from the other thread. I appreciate it.

She does get approval from King, but that doesn't mean much to me. King after all was extraordinarily enthusiastic over Mick Garris's adaptations of Desperation and Riding the Bullet. But that wasn't necessarily my point--my point was that I would rather see these pivotal events in Dark Tower lore written by sai King and not someone else. Even if King is overseeing it, it's still not his work.
    Well, I can't disagree with you there. I mean, I'd love for Sai King to do nothing all day long, every day, but write Dark Tower stories and lore, but that's never going to happen.

As far as I can read it, to me, he's listened to the fans who want more DT stuff and has entrusted her to deliver if for him.

I guess I sort of look at it as if ... if he feels she'll do his stories and characters justice, I have to trust his opinion of her.

Maybe "amateur" wasn't the best definition, but she's still riding on the coattails of a much better author and has yet to do anything major without his name on the cover. (I think she did a Satana one-shot for Marvel, but that's it.) They chose her because she wrote the Concordances which, while very helpful and informative, could probably be done by a number of DT junkies here.
    I still call her a professional author, however.

I do see your point though, without Sai King who knows if we'd ever have heard from her.

She does have other comic titles to her name, but nothing huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Yeah, I'm not overly thrilled with her either. I'll give her an A+ on her research skills, though, because of the Concordance. Her other writing is okay, but not anything I'd call spectacular.

Color me unimpressed.
    Now, I love Peter David... he's an icon and has written some amazing stories and arcs... but I do wonder how much of what is dis-liked ... how much is Furth's stories and how much is David's writing of those?

I honestly do like it. I'm a comic geek and a DT geek, and the combination of both - it would be hard for me not to like it.

The only stuff I've not liked, specifically, is the Yentl-like actions of Aileen... and I have to assume that came originally from Sai King... down to Robin Furth and then from Peter David.

Hmmm... yeah, that is a lot of filtering from the source.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, should have been more clear there. What I dislike is Furth's tales at the end of the comics. The rest is okay most of the time. That narrator, though - damn he's annoying!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Gay

Sorry, should have been more clear there. What I dislike is Furth's tales at the end of the comics. The rest is okay most of the time. That narrator, though - damn he's annoying!
    Oh, well, that's different. Nevermind.

I can see where some of the essays go on for a bit, but still - I kind of like them, too, because she uses them to explain where she gets the details from. At least some of them do.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    The only stuff I've not liked, specifically, is the Yentl-like actions of Aileen... and I have to assume that came originally from Sai King... down to Robin Furth and then from Peter David.
    I'm not sure if that's the case anymore. Her appendices indicate that a lot of the creative decisions are hers. For example, it was her idea to come up with Cort being poisoned by Marten's book. And it was entirely her idea to have the great plot point of the Grapefruit as the incestful succubus to Walter. Her interviews also indicate that Aileen's story is pretty much all hers because she wanted to have the "strong yet spunky independent female" character in the series.

My Collection

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if that's the case anymore. Her appendices indicate that a lot of the creative decisions are hers. For example, it was her idea to come up with Cort being poisoned by Marten's book. And it was entirely her idea to have the great plot point of the Grapefruit as the incestful succubus to Walter. Her interviews also indicate that Aileen's story is pretty much all hers because she wanted to have the "strong yet spunky independent female" character in the series.
    and if it were king, he'd have tried to heavy-handedly force it into the revised version like he did with the 19 thing.

Country
    Country Flag

Shhh, don't give him any ideas.

My Collection

My Mood
    Gay

But Sai King approves the stories, yes?

I do see your point, though. And, well, Yent...Aileen is just a sort of dumb storyline... regardless of who wrote it. I mean, like no one would notice that Aileen "disappeared" and suddenly this "boy" shows up in town and starts hanging out with Roland and the gang?!? He looks sorta familiar, though.... And no one connects the dots!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

... I mean, like no one would notice that Aileen "disappeared" and suddenly this "boy" shows up in town and starts hanging out with Roland and the gang?!? He looks sorta familiar, though.... And no one connects the dots!
    Sounds like a plotline Shakespeare would come up with - and we all know what a hack he was.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    ... I mean, like no one would notice that Aileen "disappeared" and suddenly this "boy" shows up in town and starts hanging out with Roland and the gang?!? He looks sorta familiar, though.... And no one connects the dots!
    Sounds like a plotline Shakespeare would come up with - and we all know what a hack he was.

Yeah, he'll never catch on. Flash in the pan!

Country
    Country Flag

But Sai King approves the stories, yes?
    Yes, but simply checking off what she writes is not the same thing as doing it himself.

And it's not a matter of King taking away time for his novels if he were to write scripts for the comics. In addition to writing a novel every other year or so, he's also written numerous short stories, screenplays, reviews, columns, etc. I don't think writing a handful of comic scripts in addition would be too much of a load on his back.

Which play was that? Was it a comedy?

Although I would say that the whole concept isn't bad in and out of itself--for example, as I pointed out in an earlier thread, Disney's Mulan was a decent film and applied the similar trope of a girl pretending to be a male to fight a war in her father's place.

My Collection

My Mood
    Gay

CG - I think you're making light of the amount of time it takes to write a good comic script.

Country
    Country Flag

I doubt it would take King any longer than it does for him to write a novella/short story. Probably less.

My Collection

My Mood
    Gay

I doubt it would take King any longer than it does for him to write a novella/short story. Probably less.
    Yeah, but that would be one comic issue a month !

So what if it takes him a month to write a short story/novella... that's a heck of a lot of time.

And the next arc is 30 issues.

That's 30 months commitment.

Country
    Country Flag

Comic writers usually write their scripts in advance. It's not a case of writing one each month. At the very least he could outline the stories and general plot and have Peter David translate it to script.

But I wouldn't expect him to write The Gunslinger series anymore than I would to see him write The Stand, as the story is already done and just needs to be adapted.

My Collection

My Mood
    Gay

Yeah, but still... what I'm saying is - it's a huge time commitment for anyone.

Doesn't matter if the scripts are getting written ahead of time or not. They still take time and that's a lot of writing.

...plus there's got to be a huge amount of colaboration with the comic artist involved, because a writer can't work without input from the artist, and vise versa.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, there's more than one:

Twelfth Night
    Cymbeline
    As You Like It
    Merchant of Venice

I think I got them all, but I might be mistaken.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

...plus there's got to be a huge amount of colaboration with the comic artist involved, because a writer can't work without input from the artist, and vise versa.
    I think it depends on the type of comic one writes. For example, some 2000 AD stories get written with little if any communication between the writer and artist. (I think there is more communication for the bigger stories though, I'm mainly thinking of the short 5 pagers like Future Shocks which get a writer his/her foot in the door.) I think the process is a bit different over here in Britain though with each creator having more control over their individual contribution.

I'm sure you're right for the Dark Tower comics though. I remember being a tad surprised by all the back and forth stuff that goes on when reading the behind the scenes supplements. I.e. Panels drawn according to outline and the script created later? Dear me. Over here the script is usually written first in entirety and then the artist adapts it... but they usually have complete control of how they want it to look.

In short it's an easier process here. Creators are left to do their thing without each step being approved, but they're paid a good deal less. Which is one reason why a lot of our creators end up across the pond working for Marvel and DC. Heh.

My Mood
    Gay

Actually, that's a good question to ask Richard Isanove over in the other thread - about how close/much collaboration goes into each issue!

Question Asked Of Richard Here

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, he'll never catch on. Flash in the pan!

Oh, there's more than one:

Twelfth Night
    Cymbeline
    As You Like It
    Merchant of Venice

I think I got them all, but I might be mistaken.
    I only thought of three of your four, so that list looks complete to me.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

According to Isanove, what Furth does is write a 12-20 page prose story and everyone takes it from there. King could do that in his sleep. If he were to take less than half an hour each day he could probably get four issues done in a month and always be on time. (I'm being generous though--he could probably write the whole thing before breakfast)

My Collection

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Far from thinking that only Stephen King should be allowed to touch this mythos, I'd like to see more writers than just Furth contribute.

And I realize that the argument about Aileen is just an aside here, but to toss in my own two cents, I tend to agree that such a trope can be hit-or-miss. Specifically in this case, it doesn't bother me unless I think about it. I guess I have mixed feelings.

Country
    Country Flag

I guess it would depend on who's writing it. I don't think anyone would say no if the writers from Lost or Daniel Knauf would go on board.

My Collection

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast