Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: The "it" factor

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The "it" factor

As some of you have seen, the site is attempting to link the word "it" where ever it appears (this includes it being a part of a word like "with") on the site.

This has to do with the new Tower Connections thing we are doing and the fact that one of Stephen Kings books is called "IT". As we all know and love

The fix is a piece of code that tells the autolink system to ignore any article title under 3 characters.

I'm going to turn it on now to see if it works, this thread is here to report sightings of the IT
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks good so far, it linked the connections page but not any instance of it.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

and now it has been removed from any thread it appeared in before.

Please let me know if you see it linked anywhwere

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I miss IT...

Roland would have understood.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Wonder if there's a way you can code it to only recognize IT, and not every combination of "it". That way you get the best of both worlds.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

What Dag said.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Thats IT...I quit!

LOL
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It should not recognize tit

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Wonder if there's a way you can code it to only recognize IT, and not every combination of "it". That way you get the best of both worlds.
    Maybe we could code IT just in one case - if it's written by big letters, huh?
    I mean "it" wouldn't be marked, nor would "It" but "IT".

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That's IT! Letti has HIT on the solution!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

that is not as easy as it sounds you guys, I was lucky to come up with this.

It may just be the phantom book

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the book isn't called "IT". It is called "It".

Sorry to be a bore, but. Is it necessary to link everything, or could there be an option to switch it off? I mean, in discussion people rather often need some means of expression, and they don't have too many - for example, italics has to be used very cautiously since, as I've already complained, this means of expression is obliterated when the post is quoted - thus, as a poster, who hopes to take part in rather sophisticated discussions, I personally wouldn't like any graphics that were not meant by me for emphasis to appear in my posts. It is all very good for all those magnificent features you guys are adding and I can't but admire, but it is bad for discussion, and the discussion is the backbone of the site.

Can the link be at least as inconspicuous as possible? Maybe a very pale line? Or maybe the information (somewhere at Way Station) that some words (and, remember, there's going to be more and more and MORE of them, so finally every word of a post will be linked) are linked, and the link will only be revealed when you hover your mouse over it?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry Jean but the thing is designed to work the way it is working now. The links pretty much disappear to me and its an all or nothing thing. Either I leave them as is or turn them off.

Personally, I think its cool as hell and I don't use my mouse at all to read posts so in the end, its just a little blue line.

The net is so extensively linked, I am just used to it.

I think they are the opposite of "bad for discussion"

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I had expected that I would be in minority, or rather the only one expressing this opinion, so it's ok: I still think that it reduces a poster's means of expression in discussion posts, placing unexpected emphasis where it wasn't supposed to be , but I understand that there are other considerations, too.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

You're not alone, Jean. I didn't like the "visual clutter" at first, but I'm getting used to it now.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    You're not alone, Jean. I didn't like the "visual clutter" at first, but I'm getting used to it now.
    For my part I didn't know that it exsits. But you made me realise it does.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

The colors help. It's fairly light - if they were red or something it would be really annoying.