Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What your favorite characters say about you

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default What your favorite characters say about you

This was a meme on LiveJournal, but since I don't use it for personal journals, I thought it might be fun to try here.

Basically you list ten of your favorite fictional characters (preferably from different fandoms although it's not required) and ask people to spot patterns in your choices, and if they're so inclined, to draw conclusions about you based on the patterns they've spotted. I'll try and start.

In no particular order...

1. Randall Flagg
    2. Hannibal Lecter
    3. Tony Soprano
    4. Benjamin Linus (Lost)
    5. Jigsaw (Saw)
    6. Tyrion Lannister (A Song of Ice and Fire)
    7. Captain Spaulding (The Devil's Rejects)
    8. Holly Short (Artemis Fowl)
    9. T-Bag (Prison Break)
    10. Gollum (Lord of the Rings)

I'm not 100% positive about this, but its what comes to mind at the moment...
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm afraid of you.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Glass View Post
    I'm afraid of you.
    second

hmmmm

1. The Doctor (Doctor who)
    2. Dexter Morgan
    3. Cthulhu
    4. Data (star Trek)
    5. Alucard (Hellsing)
    6. Father Anderson (also Hellsing)
    7. Heathcliff Flowen (Phantasy Star)
    8. Wolf (the talisman)
    9. Guy Montag (Fahrenheit 451)
    10. The Weighted Companion Cube (Portal)

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I honestly intended to give this a try and come up with your literary profile as it were but I ran into a problem...I've never heard of half of the people either of you listed. Although, from the characters I do recognize from Cyber's list, Gollum, Soprano, Flagg, and Lecter, it appears he has some kind of fascination with viciousness, criminality, and committing evil on a grand scale. This means that he's probably not like that at all. Cyber, I think you're probably a nice, mild mannered guy in real life and these characters are something of a release for you. I don't know much about the other people you listed but I checked out a few on google and the ones I looked up appear to be similar to the ones I already know about.

Razz...you're fucked up dude. No really. The characters I recognize are Cthulu, Dr. Who, Data, and Guy Montag. From these I get a sense that you are fascinated with power. Cthulu...obviously...a big dark god. Dr. Who...has the power to jump from time to time and place to place and is blessed with multiple incarnations. Data...more or less immortal, has the intelligence and knowledge base of a computer, is physically and, to an extent, mentally superior to those around him. Guy Montag...one might think that he doesn't fit this mold but he does. Fahrenheit 451 Spoiler...
    Spoiler:
    He represents the power of knowledge. He's more or less an average joe but throughout the book he knows things normal people don't because he's a fireman then he memorizes a snippet of the Bible which is what earns him his acceptance into the group of learned hobos. This group is the ultimate expression of knowledge in a way, being, collectively, a great mental storehouse of the written word. Also, they survived the nuclear attack at the end because their knowledge made them outcasts.

So yeah, you got power envy, Razz. But this doesn't separate you from others I don't think. Most guys are into characters that have power. Its almost as much of a given as our built in map to the world.

Yes...I'm like totally talking out of my ass here...

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will have to come back to this!!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Just a quick comment here --- all things are open to interpretation....

For instance - razz indicating Data. To me, Data is the epitome of selflessness. Data strives to be a better "person" at every opportunity and is loyal and dedicated. He uses his strength and knowledge to help and better those around him. He is not about immortality or power.

( Measure Of A Man is one of my all-time favorite TNG episodes )

I guess you see what you want to see.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

hmmm
    1 Gilbert Grape ("whats eating glibert grape?" the book and the movie)
    2 John Locke (lost)
    3 Ziggy Stardust (David Bowies alter ego)
    4 The Vampire Lestat (Anne Rice's vampire chronicles)
    5 John Fury Zacharias (Imagica by Clive Barker)
    6 Pippin Took (Lord of the rings)
    7 Ed Finnerty (Player Piano by Vonnegut)
    8 Johnny The Homicidal Maniac (Jhonen Vasquez)
    9 Marla Singer (Fight Club)
    10 Buddy Bradley (Hate Comics by Peter Bagge)
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Data strives to be a better "person" at every opportunity and is loyal and dedicated. He uses his strength and knowledge to help and better those around him. He is not about immortality or power.
    I agree...Data himself isn't about immortality and power but he does have those things and its about whats going on in Razz' head, not Data's. And when I look at his other selections, this is the common thread I see.

My Mood
    Gay

I agree, Coz... for sure, but also remember, these are favorite fictional characters... not favorite heroic characters.

I could say that Hannibal Lector is a favorite fictional character of mine because I love it when they toss him in jail, or I love the way that Clarice beats him at his own quid pro quo.

( and just FYI - yeah, Hannibal isn't one of my favorites, I was just using that as an example )

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

1. Roland Deschain (The Dark Tower)
    2. Remus Lupin (Harry Potter)
    3. Drizzt Do'Urden (Legend of Drizzt)
    4. Hellboy (Hellboy lol))
    5. Jack Skellington (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
    6. Jarlaxle (Legend of Drizzt)
    7. Eddard "Ned" Stark (A Game of Thrones)
    8. Joker (The Dark Knight version)
    9. Ra's Al Ghul (Batman Begins version)
    10. Mr. Wolf (from The Belgariad by David Eddings)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    Data strives to be a better "person" at every opportunity and is loyal and dedicated. He uses his strength and knowledge to help and better those around him. He is not about immortality or power.
    I agree...Data himself isn't about immortality and power but he does have those things and its about whats going on in Razz' head, not Data's. And when I look at his other selections, this is the common thread I see.
    But... if you're the one who's right on this, then why did he pick Wolf?
    Most guys are into characters that have power.
    My brother's favorite Star Trek character is Q. So, razz, you're not all that fucked up, really.
    ...it appears (CyberGhostface) has some kind of fascination with viciousness, criminality, and committing evil on a grand scale. This means that he's probably not like that at all. ...
    Dude... That's just what he wants you to think!

Seriously, tho, I don't know about the "committing evil on a grand scale" part. I mean, it's not like he picked Sauron. R.F. may have started the superflu, perhaps, but Cyber seems mostly to be interested in virtual-to-full psychos more than in true megalomaniacs.
    Anyway, though, I don't much believe in conventional psychoanalysis, so I'm just going to use an impressionist approach here: I'll give another character that each of you did not list. Please don't take it personally; these are solely based on what you've posted right here on this thread.
    CyberGhostface: Alex (A Clockwork Orange)
    Seymour_Glass: John Bender (The Breakfast Club)
    razz: James Bond
    Cozener: Harriet M. Welsch (Harriet the Spy)
    mia/susannah: Holly Golightly (Breakfast at Tiffany's)
    turtlex:Christine Sullivan (Night Court)
    flaggwalkstheline: Holden Caulfield (The Catcher in the Rye)
    (BTW, bud -- I love Hate! )
    Empath of the White: John Constantine (Hellblazer)

But I ain't a hater, I'm a participater. Here's... erm... well...*shrug* here's some for me:
    Cyrano
    Captain Nemo
    Douglas Roberts (Mister Roberts)
    Rick Blaine (Casablanca)
    Ben Braddock (The Graduate)
    McMurphy (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)
    Luke Wingo (The Prince of Tides)
    "Hawkeye" Pierce (M*A*S*H)
    George Berger (Hair)
    Tommy Walker (Tommy)
    Linus (Peanuts)
    Elwood P. Dowd (Harvey)
    Last edited by pathoftheturtle; 07-22-2009 at 07:20 AM. Reason: new lists given, invalidating my picks

My Mood
    Gay

Markie Post?!?!? I freakin' wish I looked like her!!

Of course, I never really watched the show so personality-wise, I'm clueless.

ETA : Mister Roberts is a hero of mine, and one of my favorite characters - ever. Nice.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually almost put Holden Caulfield on my list
    But I identify with Gilbert Grape more than I do with Holden
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Traveler Ozymandias is on a distinguished road Ozymandias's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

1. Roland - The DarkTower
    2. The Comedian - Watchmen
    3. Admiral Adama - Battlestar Galactica
    4. Shaun - Shaun of the Dead
    5. Michael Corleone - The Godfather
    6. Selene - Underworld
    7. Dr. Manhattan - Watchmen
    8. GOB - Arrested Development
    9. Rorschach - Watchmen
    10. Gandalf - LOTR
    My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
    Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

In no particular order and just off the top of my head:

1. Dr. Leonard McCoy - Star Trek
    2. Eddie - The Dark Tower series
    3. Wolf - Talisman
    4. Max Feir - Stranger
    5. Momo - Momo
    6. Zaphod Beeblebrox - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    7. Janet Weiss - Rocky Horror Picture Show
    8. Seymoure - Little Shop of Horrors
    9. Kitty Foreman - That 70s Show
    10. Chris Park - Adventures in Babysitting

I love that Guy Montag was mentioned from Fahrenheit 451. Excellent choice. Unfortunately he didn't spring to mind immediately for me in my first 10...

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Hrm. I'm not sure I can flat out say these 10 and these 10 alone because I feel I would have to segment these into favorite characters by character type, e.g. favorite villains, heroes, underdogs, minor villains, and so forth, as well as by era and genre. Too many books, stories, movies, songs, and T.V. shows to narrow 10 favorite characters from the entire cannon of human artistic expression.

The reasons I love Dr. Frank-n-furter in RHPS are far different from the reasons I love Alex from A Clockwork Orange or Ford Prefect or the entire cast of The Lion in Winter or Dr. Cox from Scrubs or Sterling (or Darius or Jeffrey) from Jeffrey or Walter Neff, Phyllis Dietrichson, and Barton Keyes from Double Indemnity.

And that's just scratching the surface.

So... I'm complicated. Heh.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, you are complicating, at least.

I see what you're saying, though I'm not sure that you really chose the best example to make your case. The reasons I love Dr. Frank-n-furter (insofar as I do) are pretty much the same as the reasons that I love Alex.

Truth be told, there are many, many other characters that I like. This isn't meant to be definitive; it's just a party game.

Ozymandias and Lady H: I'll let you know what I think of your lists, soon as I have the time.

That was the show that made John Larroquette famous, in playing state's prosecutor "Dan Fielding" as the ultimate sleazy lawyer character. It worked for the sitcom to make the public defender his opposite. Where he was cynical and invariably selfish, she was always sweet and a little naive, eager to fight for the bizarre New Yorkers that came up on charges in each episode.
    ETA : Mister Roberts is a hero of mine, and one of my favorite characters - ever. Nice.
    Thanks!

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle

That was the show that made John Larroquette famous, in playing state's prosecutor "Dan Fielding" as the ultimate sleazy lawyer character. It worked for the sitcom to make the public defender his opposite. Where he was cynical and invariably selfish, she was always sweet and a little naive, eager to fight for the bizarre New Yorkers that came up on charges in each episode.
    Thanks!

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been trying to put a list together for this thread for the last couple of days and my mind kept going completely blank. Finally I think I have put one together that is semi-suitable. In no particular order :

Eddie Dean (The Dark Tower)
    Roland Deschain (The Dark Tower)
    Wolverine (X-Men)
    Gambit (X-Men)
    Tyler Durden (Fight Club)
    Neo (The Matrix --- Feel like I need to explain . . . Not Keanu Reeves mind you, but the character . . . kind of like I wanted to be Neo, sort of thing . . . I know it's stupid but it's true)
    Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII/ Final Fantasy VII Advent Children)
    Zidane Tribal (Final Fantasy IX)
    Rorsharch (Watchmen)
    Spider-Man (Comics not movies)
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll throw my list out there for everyone.

Rorschach (Watchmen)
    Jake (TDT)
    Clarisse McClellan (Fahrenheit 451)
    Samwise (Lord of the Rings)
    Andy Dufresne (Shawshank Redemption)
    Benjamin Linus (Lost)
    Ender Wiggins (Ender Series)
    Rupert Giles (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
    John Locke (Lost)
    Odd Thomas (Koontz's Odd Thomas)

Their you go!

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post

The reasons I love Dr. Frank-n-furter in RHPS are far different from the reasons I love Alex from A Clockwork Orange or Ford Prefect or the entire cast of The Lion in Winter or Dr. Cox from Scrubs or Sterling (or Darius or Jeffrey) from Jeffrey or Walter Neff, Phyllis Dietrichson, and Barton Keyes from Double Indemnity.

And that's just scratching the surface.

So... I'm complicated. Heh.
    Oh I couldn't even CHOOSE one of the characters as my favorite from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I love them all sooooooooooo much.... You have some great picks that came straight to your head!!!! But I picked the one I relate the most to.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Thanks. And you're right about a certain similarity between Alex and Frank, but off the top of my head I didn't think of similar traits that drew me to each.

I'll think further on this, but I have to get going on my dead pool list. I have been otherwise occupied.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

I feel like I need to categorize these, because otherwise they seem too all over the place.

Ten in no order:

[heroes?]
    Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek:tNG)
    Dale Cooper (Twin Peaks)
    Roland Deschain (duh)
    Cuthbert Allgood (see above)
    John Locke (lost)

[villains?]
    The Judge (Blood Meridian)
    Ben Linus (Lost)
    Anton Chigur (No Country For Old Men)
    The Joker (Dark Knight)

[other?]
    The Dude (The Big Lebowski)

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch. Trying to make it a spontaneous thing.

My Mood
    Gay

ola - re: Jean-Luc Picard. *bows head* Picard is also my Captain.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Jason "JD" Dean-Heathers
    Hannibal Lecter
    Alex DeLarge/Burgess-A Clockwork Orange
    Dean Moriarty
    Roland Deschain
    Randall Flagg
    Clarence Worley-True Romance
    Tony Montana-Scarface
    The Scarecrow-The Wizard Of Oz
    George Bailey-It's A Wonderful Life
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast