Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HOW TO: Prevent Dust From Accumulating on Books

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I use a shoe polish brush for mine, never used on shoes ofcourse, works great and can be found easily.

As to what dust is made of, that all depends on where you live. If you live in a very dry climate (like say Amarillo, TX where I grew up) the majority of the dust is made of sand and fine dirt particles, and if you want a dust free bookcase you are going to do it everyday. I remember having to dust as a kid and never liked it cause by the time you got finished dusting everything in the house the stuff you started with was dusty again.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually about 75% of the dust in your home is sloughed off dead skin cells. One person sloughs off roughly 30,000-40,000 cells per minute.

Anyhow I prevent dust from falling on my books by staring at it sternly. It knows better.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually like the archival bags the best of the ideas. Dusting is going to be abrasive and only so effective in the long run. "Canned air" is typically ether-based, so I'm not sure if that is good for the books.

The bags keeps all the dust off of the books, plus would likely help in a limited way to prevent UV sun damage. Short of expensive slip cases, the bags seem most effective and affordable.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The only drawback I see with bags is that displayed books wouldn't look very appealing.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I agree, sort of... although I've seen examples that looked very neat (see Barry's collection thread). Personally I'm happy with Brodart protectors on my hardcovers but I am contemplating putting my proofs in archival bags (I've completely lost faith in the paperback protective covers I used after I noticed that some of them stuck to the ink on the covers).

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not sure this goes here - but it is dust related.
    I'm looking at a book and the description includes "Rear board with very modest dust stain".
    SO, what exactly is a dust stain? I know what dust can do to the top paper but the rear board?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a question to be answered by the seller with high resolution images.
    The higher value (potential) of the item, the better the description and images you should expect.
    Of course everyone is trying to find a $2K book for $20, and don't wish to publish the info.

To me, "Rear board with very modest dust stain", means the board is either so dusty that it can't be carefully "dusted", or it's moisture and dirt related.

Traveler nyles45 will become famous soon enough nyles45 will become famous soon enough

Hi all,
    For most of my books, I've cut individually sized sheets of acid and lignin free paper that I then fold over the top of the text block and then close the cover to hold the paper on top. It prevents dust from settling on the books and I don't have to store them in plastic. Also for some of my more important books, to stop the top part of the text block separating from the spine due to the weight of the text block, I will build a platform for the text block to rest on. I also use the acid free paper to wrap that. You still have to dust the books and air them from time to time, but it's much easier.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    That's a question to be answered by the seller with high resolution images.
    The higher value (potential) of the item, the better the description and images you should expect.
    Of course everyone is trying to find a $2K book for $20, and don't wish to publish the info.

To me, "Rear board with very modest dust stain", means the board is either so dusty that it can't be carefully "dusted", or it's moisture and dirt related.
    Sorry, four days w/o internet - now they fixed that no phone. But I guess that's a different thread. It's a 60$ book and here's what he wrote back: "The rear board on this title is predominately white and a close examination will reveal just a touch of discoloration that I believe resulted from reading the book without its dust jacket (a good idea normally). I don’t believe this modest discoloration would be viewable if I scanned the rear board. As I say, it’s pretty slight."

since it is a very reliable dealer (Zeising)- and I have now ordered the book - we'll see when it gets here.

Country
    Country Flag

I can live with it. Altho it has a faint hint of smoke.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2