Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Prevent Dust From Accumulating on Books

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default HOW TO: Prevent Dust From Accumulating on Books

So I was just looking over my books and noticed alot of them had some dust on them. I tried blowing it off, and that seems to have worked for a little bit. However, I don't think that I should have to go and blow dust off every book every dad to keep them pristine.

My question is does anyone have any tips on how to keep dust from accumulating on books? My books aren't in a glass case, as the're expensive and I have no room for them. This is a rough idea of what they look like:

I don't want them to get damaged from the dust that will collect over time, yet there has to be a way to keep the dust away. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

As you know, your best bet is to find a bookcase with doors.

The only other solutions I can think of would be less than satisfactory:
    1. Find someone who can shrinkwrap each book.
    2. Run a long piece of paper across the top of each row of books, like butcher paper or something - although ideally you'd use something acid free.

If you haven't already, I'd take a look at the Bookcase thread in the main Calvin's forum for ideas at various price levels and start saving for something with glass doors.

Good luck!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Ricky, I'd suggest using archival quality plastic bags. I use these for my rarer firsts (in addition to most of my proofs) and find they work just fine. They can be found in most comics stores.

John

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

They say you learn something new every day. I have never thought of that. Thanks, John.

Ricky, obviously John's recommendation is far better than my ideas.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Archival plastic bags? Now that's something new that I wouldn't have thought of! I'll have to check that out being that it'd be an alternative to a bookcase with glass doors (even though I'd love to have one!). I'll check out the Bookcase thread too in case there's something that I see that'll fit in terms of price and space.

I don't want to have to replace my entire collection one day due to dust soiling so I just may have to invest in a glass door case.

Thanks Patrick and John--big help!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Ricky - Check out www.bagsunlimited.com - they have some real nice archival stuff.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

LOL Pam! That's the first sight I clicked on when I did a Google search before you posted. Great minds think alike.

I was checking out the Bookcase thread and I found a really nice one from Ikea that's reasonably priced. Here's the link for any feedback one may provide:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49831464

I think Jerome originally posted this and if he didn't say they were from Ikea, I wouldn't have known. They look amazing! I just have to go measure to see if I have room.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I would like the look of a bookshelf with all the books in plastic bags. But that is just my opinion. I've got a 3 inch wide paint brush with VERY soft bristles. About twice a year I take all the books from the shelves, dust the shelves and lightly brush the edges of each book before placing them back on the shelves. It's a trick I learned from Roy Robbins and it works just fine for me.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I like that A LOT and I've been doing pretty much the same on mine. It gives me a chance to love on them a bit.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    About twice a year I take all the books from the shelves, dust the shelves and lightly brush the edges of each book before placing them back on the shelves.
    Do you find that the dust keeps coming back? Maybe I've just got a thing with perfection and I'm looking too much into the situation.

I'm going to go take a photo or two and you all can tell me if I'm just being anal.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

On an open shelf, dust will quickly accumulate. I agree that bags look less than ideal (although they do a great job). You could also on a regular basis (weekly-no less) spray the tops off with canned air.

Country
    Country Flag

Unfortunately, that's the truth. Jerome, do you know if Ikea has the cases that you have for aout 15 inches shorter? If so, that would be ideal. I don't see any shorter ones in that style online, but I may be wrong.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

Do you find that the dust keeps coming back? Maybe I've just got a thing with perfection and I'm looking too much into the situation.
    My books that are shelved out in the open (not in glass-fronted bookcases) are in a basement and not subjected to much dust accumulation. About twice a year seems enough in my situation. Of course I dust the shelves AROUND the books a lot more frequently. I'm just talking about the books themselves being taken down twice a year and dusted as well as the shelf space UNDER the books. Everyone has their own tolerance for dusting. Mine might not be as frequently done as some would like. (My wife, however, has not complained and considering her low tolerance for dust makes me think I am doing a pretty good job.)

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think I would like the look of a bookshelf with all the books in plastic bags. But that is just my opinion. I've got a 3 inch wide paint brush with VERY soft bristles. About twice a year I take all the books from the shelves, dust the shelves and lightly brush the edges of each book before placing them back on the shelves. It's a trick I learned from Roy Robbins and it works just fine for me.
    I do the same thing. i don't have any bookshelves with glass doors, so I have to dust. I bought a horse hair brush from Bro-dart, and it works like a charm.
    Geoff

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Unfortunately, that's the truth. Jerome, do you know if Ikea has the cases that you have for aout 15 inches shorter? If so, that would be ideal. I don't see any shorter ones in that style online, but I may be wrong.
    Do you mean in height or width?
    The cases in my picture are actually 3 units side by side. Each is ~80"tall, 32" wide and 12" (with optional doors) deep.
    I'm guessing you mean in height, and I will investigate.

Edit:
    Ikea link to shorter case:

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, sorry, I did mean height. My dimensions that I have to work with are 63" H x 40" W. The ones that you bought would be perfect except that my TV arm is mounted on the wall and would be in the way of 70" H.

This is what I am leaning towards now:

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Oxfo...s/150/#reviews

FIVE-SHELF/24"W
    However, I am worried that 24" W seems a little short and may look distorted once put together. Some of the photos of the other cases of the same collection are the same height and width, yet they look different in terms of size and doors.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You don't want too wide. You'll run into the problem of drooping shelves!

Country
    Country Flag

How wide would you say is too wide out of 24, 36, etc.?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It really depends on the bookcase. I have similar Ikea bookcases to Jerome's and the 32" is nice and sturdy. I also have one that is 36" but with crappy hardware to attach the shelves which droop in the middle (I'm replacing this one). I guess maybe it has more to do with the hardware used to attach the shelves and their max load.

From what I've seen, the higher the price, the higher the max shelf load, the less the droop, etc, etc.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't see the place where the case is going...nor do I know your long term plans (more matching cases etc.), but a 5' (60")n tall case is a bit of an oddity. Not tall like most, nor short like others.
    I have TV's on armatures, etc. It might be easier to change or relocate the TV.

As far as too wide, a 24" shelf should never noticeably sag. I have several 48" shelves (wood and glass), and if they sag a bit I either turn them over every 3-5 years, or put a support at the back of the case, in the middle of the shelf. Capiche?

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

About twice a year I take all the books from the shelves, dust the shelves and lightly brush the edges of each book before placing them back on the shelves.

I'm going to go take a photo or two and you all can tell me if I'm just being anal.
    Science Corner:
    The amount of dust in the room is directly proportional to the number of people who go in it, and how often.

Household dust is 80% human skin (Eeeeeewwwww!)

Country
    Country Flag

LOL. No one ever goes in my room, yet the dust finds me.

Ricky fled across the house, and the dust followed.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It's all your skin then!!
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Must be leftover from lunch.

EDIT: Geoff, what brush did you buy from Bro-dart? I'm thinking that's the way to go if it's working for you. I looked on the site and saw three different ones.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

My bookcase is also 48" wide and, yes, the shelves sag ever so slightly in the middle. Therefore I'm trying to put the really big, heavy books on the ends and the smaller, lighter books toward the middle, however that plan only goes so far to help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast