Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Would you buy a DarkTower.com Yearbook?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes-Love to

67 63.21%
  • Not really...no

39 36.79%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy---TheDarkTower.com Yearbook?

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    ...I like the idea of some sort of book for the site/by the site/ to help out the site.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

Matt, I'll PayPal you the $25 right now if it would help get this project off the ground.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Say the word, and I'll send you $, I for one would love to see this get off the ground.
    Now as far as permissions go can you not simply ask SK or whoever else necessary to publish? Of course, so lets ask I say! Maybe start a petition we could generate signatures stating interest in the project....who could say no?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Those are wonderful ideas and thanks you guys.

I am not sure how it will all shake out but I think the response is worth a look.

Again, this would simply be info about the site.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Could I have some of my animalslingers in there? Because I wouldn't mind drawing some for illustrations if you need artwork!

I would love a yearbook!~

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm in, but only if you post my poem about having sex with sheep.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...8&postcount=82
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I'm in, but only if you post my poem about having sex with sheep.
    You sure that is a poem? Sounds like a confession to me.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    Dags might have something here. I'm not sure if any of you remember, but at some point last year, the guy that runs the Internet's largest Harry Potter fan site decide to publish the site into a book.
    I don't think you have the full picture here, cry your pardon Gris. I used to mod at a HP site and knew the Lexicon well. It wasn't a forum like we have here, it was more an online encyclopedia.

I don't think Rowling was at all in the wrong to sue against the book. Vander Ark's material quoted her heavily and only made statements about facts that Jo had already written/created, it was pretty much what Robin Furth's Concordance is to DT - with the exception that Furth worked in conjunction with King and Vander Ark took the piss by thinking - oh, JK Rowling's writing a HP encyclopedia? Well, I'll do it first!

Besides, he's still managed to have a shorter version of the book published anyway, so he's the bitch - not Rowling

I voted yes for the Yearbook. We don't get anything like this in the UK...well, we didn't when I was at school anyway. I'd love it and would love to help.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

( cripes, VanderArk practically did a cut/paste of JKR's stuff... really. I was thrilled she won that case. )
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think you are correct about that Lisa. I'm looking into this but if we are talking about member comments and photos (that we have permission to use)...it wouldn't fall into the same category.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

He said he initially declined proposals to convert the Web site into an encyclopedia, in part because he believed until last August that in book form, it would represent a copyright violation.

After Rowling released the final chapter in the "Harry Potter" series last July, Vander Ark was contacted by an RDR Books employee, who told him that publication of the lexicon would not violate copyright law, he said. Still, to protect himself, Vander Ark said he insisted that RDR Books include a clause in his contract that the publisher would defend and pay any damages that might result from claims against him.
    Sounds like he knew that what he was doing was wrong but worth the gamble to him (at least as long as the pub company was ready to spend the $$$ if it did go to court). What a jerk.

Matt - This idea has a lot of potential. I can't say whether or not I would buy one, because that will be determined by my finances at any given time. Here are some thoughts I had, both on issues already mentioned and on new issues:
    1. Individual copyrights can usually be handled with a copyright disclaimer regarding works inside are copyright of the artists who created them, said artists having given permission for reproduction in this "yearbook", no other reproduction authorized.
    2. I think listing all member names is allowable, after all, we put those names out there as the public persona. Any other information, however, should be approved by the member. Some might not want information about themselves in an easy-to-find format.
    3. It will be difficult to avoid any mention of TDT as love of that series is what brought us all to this fabulous place. However, as long as we're not reprinting parts of it, we should be okay.
    4. At the risk of offending someone (and, I assure you, that is the last thing I want to do here), I cannot stress enough that it should be all-inclusive. One thing that annuals tend to be is exclusive, where all the "popular" kids are in every bloody picture, and the unpopular kids are lucky to have the mandatory picture published. So I think special care should be taken to ensure that we don't inadvertently disrespect someone. All of this, of course, is dependent upon that person having granted permission in the first place.
    5. Inform Stephen King and get his blessing ahead of time. Let Ms. Mod at the official SK board know of our plans and see if she can get a ruling on this from King.
    6. I realize I am not staff, but I'd be willing to do what I can to help. I have writing experience in fiction (poetry and prose), reviews (books and DVDs), help modules, technical manuals (from general info through functional description and operation to troubleshooting), and speeches/presentations (not just a stupid Powerpoint presentation). And I would be honored to help the site.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That is an amazingly useful post Woofer, thanks for putting it out there.

I have no problem using those points as a guide. I am very much in the business of clearing this kind of stuff with Kings office so that's a given.

The only limitations on who could be in there would be folks that didn't want to. It would be impossible to include everyone on the member list who has ever posted on this site but I am very sensitive to popularity contests and this would not be one. What it would be is an interesting new look at what we have done out here over the years and would not strive to exclude anyone who wanted to participate.

I mean, if a person has never posted a pic, it would be hard to get in there kind of thing.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

I have no problem using those points as a guide. I am very much in the business of clearing this kind of stuff with Kings office so that's a given.

The only limitations on who could be in there would be folks that didn't want to. It would be impossible to include everyone on the member list who has ever posted on this site but I am very sensitive to popularity contests and this would not be one. What it would be is an interesting new look at what we have done out here over the years and would not strive to exclude anyone who wanted to participate.

I mean, if a person has never posted a pic, it would be hard to get in there kind of thing.
    Thanks, Matt. I appreciate the compliment.

Oh, of course! Then we'd have to use the pictures of those same six people that pop up under the

"He got married to her?!"

Classmates.com site ads.

Last edited by Woofer; 06-09-2009 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Added Matt's quote - gah. I always hit post too soon. Okay almost always.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That was the plan!

But seriously, I'm hoping after the open way I have ran this place over the last two years folks could count on the fact that I wouldn't purposely exclude anyone. I WAS that kid that had only one pic in the book

Punto Ka dotKay is on a distinguished road dotKay's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would have to start saving right now... but yeah, i'd love to have one

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Would you be willing to take a shot at some cover art for us dotKay? I'm almost thinking that slick as shit logo rendition would be great for it.

Obviously your donation wall would be part of the fundraiser section.

My Mood
    Worried

No, Matt, I know it wouldn't happen on purpose. Please don't think I meant that. But people get caught up in the moment and sometimes don't realize what's happened. I know that I have that happen on {intentional vagueness} that thing that I'm going to be getting in the mail to you. I'd be focusing on {random thing} and realize - crap, I didn't even think about {other random thing}, and then I'd back up and punt. {/intentional vagueness}

Anyway, if you'll have my help, I'm here (on the site). If not, I'll still be here. Can't drive me off that easily. You need a big stick at the very least.

By the way, I am off again today, so I will check in here off and on. I think I need to engage in a little escapism and gaming at some point, though. It was a long and stressful weekend, and I am a very tired wolf.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd be on board to own one. But, it sure would be a LOT of work for someone(s) to put it all together.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post

Thanks, Matt. I appreciate the compliment.

Oh, of course! Then we'd have to use the pictures of those same six people that pop up under the

"He got married to her?!"

Classmates.com site ads.

howbout anyone with over 200 (or some such number) posts gets to be in the year book
    and if someone with under 200 (or however many) posts wants to be in it, we can make a thread where they can tell us as much
    that way we can weed out the one time posters and only have those of us who either are frequent contributors or are going to be frequent contributors but havent worked their way up to x posts yet
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Not at all Woof--I didn't think that on any level. But I'm glad you brought it up because people may be thinking something like that could happen.

This gives me an opportunity to assure people that it wouldn't. Our site is not "cliquey" in any way so I'm thinking we'll be able to produce something fun that satisfies everyone in at least some small way.

I also don't believe that the GIANT contributions to this site by some of its members should be ignored either so the challenge would be strike a balance.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    I'd be on board to own one. But, it sure would be a LOT of work for someone(s) to put it all together.

And yes, that would be the challenge my friend. To keep it affordable and cool as it can be, we would need some serious volunteer help.

My Mood
    Worried

Not at all Woof--I didn't think that on any level. But I'm glad you brought it up because people may be thinking something like that could happen.

This gives me an opportunity to assure people that it wouldn't. Our site is not "cliquey" in any way so I'm thinking we'll be able to produce something fun that satisfies everyone in at least some small way.

I also don't believe that the GIANT contributions to this site by some of its members should be ignored either so the challenge would be strike a balance.
    Bolding mine.

That's very true, and I think it can be done. There is no denying that some people here have done a hell of a lot of work on this site - whether visible to the members or not - and I think it would be remiss not to show them some sort of special attention.

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And yes, that would be the challenge my friend. To keep it affordable and cool as it can be, we would need some serious volunteer help.
    Count me in, Matt.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd be fully in favor of it and would buy one if you'll only guarantee that the cover will be an 8'x10' picture of me. I think this is a reasonable request...and of course then you'll probably have members buying dozens if not more copies.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

That would be one sold out issue, for sure!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast