Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Would you buy a DarkTower.com Yearbook?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes-Love to

67 63.21%
  • Not really...no

39 36.79%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy---TheDarkTower.com Yearbook?

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

At $25 I'm in - and I'd be more than happy to help in any way you need me Matt.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

No worries. Maybe an alternative is to have people contribute things specifically for a book?

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

i know that, and trust me, i'm not just being an asshole. I'm just trying to bring some points to your attention. It's fun to get excited and think about all the cool things you can do, but you got to realize some ideas just won't be feasible.

besides that, i will gladly sign permission slips for you to include anything of mine you want to in the yearbook.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

See, I wouldn't. Yeah, I know the Internet is a much bigger place, but it's still not a hardcopy.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    I'd be more than happy to help in any way you need me Matt.
    That's the very point. There are people who are much cleverer (and soberer, at the moment) than bears and who understand such things a lot better, so I am sure both Daghain and JB should be heeded - they have very clear heads and their judgement is sound - but I pledged allegiance to this site, and would do anything for it.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't voted yet. I'm thinking about it. I decided had to stop and think for 24 hours becfore I buy anything I just saw, so I'm applying the same theory to this. I'd say yes, I'd love one, if for no other reason than supporting the site, but not yet

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Nice one Mr. Rabbit Trick!

Question, though: are there any legal ramifications to this? I mean, it's one thing to post something on the Internet, but publishing it in a book may be quite another. (Yeah, I get the irony, I'm just asking). I mean, do you need people to give permission to be in this book, or is that implied by posting to the site?

Hey, somebody had to play Devil's Advocate.

Dags might have something here. I'm not sure if any of you remember, but at some point last year, the guy that runs the Internet's largest Harry Potter fan site decide to publish the site into a book.

Short version of the story is that J.K. Rowling cried a lot, said she was going to give up writing forever because she was so devastated/violated and then bitch-slapped him with the mother of all international copyright lawsuits.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26610152/

now a disclaimer before my finishing sentence of the post...

I love the Harry Potter novels. Read them all, then listened to them all, and eagerly anticipate every movie.

That being said...

I think that JK Rowling, as a person, is a steaming pile of white-trash dog-shit turned snobby rich-bitch who will use everything at her disposal to to keep any hand but her own out of the Harry Potter cookie jar. Can't really blame her, but it explains the suit more than anything else considering that what he was publishing is EXACTLY what you are talking about publishing...

Fan generated content that REFERS TO a copyrighted body of works.

She's a bitch, and Uncle Stephen is not, but it shows what can happens.

and... My opinion of her stems almost 100% from this law suit. I think it was a crappy thing to do and done just to spite someone that had the audacity to think they could make a for the fans/by the fans resource without her getting her cut.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh wow, I never heard of that, Gris.
    What a bitch...
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

<sigh>

Sounds like a bad idea then. I'll keep looking into that
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

i remember that, and i don't think SK would do it, but just the name of the site is a reference to his books, we'ere all here because we're fans of his books, and if he did do it then he'd be a majpr prick.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Yesyesyes. Without any hesitation.

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I pledged allegiance to this site, and would do anything for it.
    Damn, then in that case, the only way to save this site is by posting a picture of yourself; clear, visible and recent.

p.s. in the future, it might be a better idea to stay out of the site when you're plastered, you may compromise yourself.

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    i remember that, and i don't think SK would do it, but just the name of the site is a reference to his books, we'ere all here because we're fans of his books, and if he did do it then he'd be a majpr prick.
    I can't imagine he would.

Now for the other side of the coin... Lilja is publishing a hardcopy book form of his website. So who knows
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That was what kind of gave me the idea

I'm going to look into it you guys, I will do it if I can. Could be the only way is to have 100% go to Haven, that would work for me as well.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I pledged allegiance to this site, and would do anything for it.
    Damn, then in that case, the only way to save this site is by posting a picture of yourself; clear, visible and recent.

p.s. in the future, it might be a better idea to stay out of the site when you're plastered, you may compromise yourself.
    Classic.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The idea is not to even use Dark Tower information. This would be just for us so it would only include people's opinions on stuff and the other off topic fun shit we do.

I am not planning any kind of poetry or original works. The only thing like that may be fan art and I don't understand why that would be a problem as it creates exposure to the artist. However, I guess it could be.

So this is not a Dark Tower retelling, its a book about a fan site, nothing else.

EDIT--Oh, and don't worry Daggers, I had not planned on using any of your stuff anyway.

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    EDIT--Oh, and don't worry Daggers, I had not planned on using any of your stuff anyway.
    hahahhahaha ha..................hahaha............haaaaaaaa... .............

you're not using mine either are you?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Not anymore.

(I'm just kidding)

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The idea is not to even use Dark Tower information. This would be just for us so it would only include people's opinions on stuff and the other off topic fun shit we do.

I am not planning any kind of poetry or original works. The only thing like that may be fan art and I don't understand why that would be a problem as it creates exposure to the artist. However, I guess it could be.

So this is not a Dark Tower retelling, its a book about a fan site, nothing else.

My Mood
    Breezy

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Matt,

I support any decision you make in regards to this idea, I think it has great merit and potential. You also have my permission to use anything I've posted with the exception of that pic I posted in the melons thread. No one wants to see that published especially me .

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh no, no melons!

My Mood
    Breezy

in that case i definitely won't be buying it

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

You already voted Mister!

We have your opinion.

In all seriousness though, this would not be used to embarrass or exploit anyone in any way.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm... not that I don't want to support Haven, but I don't know if I'd care enough if it wasn't a 50/50 split!

I like the idea of some sort of book for the site/by the site/ to help out the site.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to have to look into that Eric, but thank you. That would be the original purpose of the idea of course.

EDIT--

And even if you guys said "yes" here, I'm not going to force anyone to give me $25.00

It was just to get a serious idea.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast