Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: What Will Our 4th Book Be?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kurt Vonnegut. Sirens of Titan

2 11.11%
  • Mark Twain. Tom Sawyer

1 5.56%
  • Michael Crichton. Jurassic Park

3 16.67%
  • Steinbeck. Grapes of Wrath

1 5.56%
  • Bel Kaufman. Up the Down Staircase

0 0%
  • George Orwell. 1984

5 27.78%
  • Chuck Palahniuk. Survivor

4 22.22%
  • H.G.Wells. The Time Machine

2 11.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Book Four discussion

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Default Book Four discussion

Alright, I figured it may be wise to begin discussion on the next book in the series. I noticed that we've been sticking to classics, and thought it would be an interesting idea, for us to stick to a common theme for a time. We could stick to classics, or try going more mainstream. Or pick a certain genre! discuss, and keep this in mind and post your nominees for book #4

As always, the previous books are still up for review and voting. If you wish to change your old nomination, please post it here:

Returning Nominations
    Kurt Vonnegut. Sirens of Titan 5 ------ valtr0n

Mark Twain. Tom Sawyer 3 --------- maerlyn

Michael Crichton. Jurassic Park 4 --------- razz

Steinbeck. Grapes of Wrath 2 ---------- jhanic

Christopher Moore. Lamb 3 ---------- turtlesong

Kerouac. Dharma Bums 4 -------------- Ves'Ka Gan

Bel Kaufman. Up the Down Staircase 1 ------------ Jean

George Orwell. 1984 3 ------------ Míchéal

Chuck Palahniuk. Survivor 2 ----------- flaggwalkstheline

H.G.Wells. The Time Machine 3 ------------- 3 DOORS DOWN

New Nominations
    Shirley Jackson. The Haunting of Hill House
    ------ BROWNING'S CHILDE

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

razz, you're tops!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I'm all for anything Kerouac.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I would like to change my nomination, as I believe that "The Turn of the Screw" is too short for these purposes.

Instead, I would like to nominate "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I'm all for anything Kerouac.
    What Pam said.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I'll gladly read any Keruoac for this.

Also, I'm still all for Val's nomination of Sirens of Titan.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have a suggestion that is basically my boyfriend's suggestion. He had me read 1984 and then Brave New World. I think it would spawn some really interesting discussion. I don't think they have to be read in that order, either.

So I guess my nomination is Brave New World.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

With our good bear's approval, the poll will be going up for book #4 on July 1st. We will have 2 weeks of voting for the next book. So get your nominations in!
    Also, due to the number of nominations, we have, we need books to be seconded or thirded (are those even words?), as we only have 10 slots per poll.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i shall have a think and then get a nomination posted, or a current nomination seconded.
    do i take it the above ones have been seconded and thirded?

When do i have to get a nomination in, or will mine go to next months?

hooo so many questions sorry

I'm still trying to figure out how to do this while making it go smoothly, so what i did now, is take all the nominations from the book three discussion, as well as their seconds, thrids, etc., and post them here. for now, anything here must have been at least seconded to be in the poll. Those with three or more will be kept in automatically, due to previous interest.

shit, i need to talk to Jean about this.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Piffle.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

ha ha piffle indeed!!! no problem razz, you are doing a grand job, just let me know what i need to do, or if you want to go with just the above for book 4 and then start a clean sheet

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    no problem razz, you are doing a grand job
    totally!

that may actually be a good idea: keep what books we have up now, then after book four start anew. Comments?

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i'm all for that - it keeps things simple, and i'm a simple girl

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Works for the wolf.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNING'S CHILDE View Post
    I would like to change my nomination, as I believe that "The Turn of the Screw" is too short for these purposes.
    Really? I think that one would be a wonderful one to go with. If you don't go back with this one, I might nominate it myself next time.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Well if nobody opposes, Jean, would you kindly put the poll up tomorrow (and change the title)? We'll have the poll run until July 1st, which is pretty close to two weeks.
    Hey, I wonder if we could get an announcement banner on the homepage?

Country
    Country Flag

we have 11 nominations, two of which single, and ony 10 poll options...

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

As we have already done one of the books that I nominated, you can delete Haunting of Hill House if you want.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

You know, for the sake of consistency, I'll leave out both our nominations this time, keeping only the seconded ones, if it's all right with razz.

Razz, as soon as you okay this decision (or reject it and come up with something better), I'll make the poll.

actually, I'd suggest Lamb and Dharma Bums be removed this time. While they both did great in nominations, neither of them got any votes during the last poll. I would like to seee if there is more interest in either your books

Country
    Country Flag

bears did as you suggested!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

thank you jean and razz, i was just going to go ahead and vote for 1984, as i have read this before and would be interested in peoples views. however i am going to think about this and then vote

**sigh** i love this site, it brings out the geek in me

well i voted, - tom sawyer as i have never read it but have heard a lot about it.
    now i shall sit and wait patiently

Don't forget to vote, Ladies and Gentlemen!
    I went with 1984, I've been meanign to read it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast