Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Lisey's Story

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Not his best work.

Not his worst work.

Bool
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

I think this is one of his most unique, well written and well edited books, ever.
    Alot of his books have something we've read or seen before just re-worked through the King eye but I find the section of Boo-ya moon to be very orginal.
    Granted most of the book is a little slow and the stalker guy is kind of pointless but the husband's background and the boo-ya moon stuff is amazing.
    It's also a great love story and as with most of his best work is quite sad.
    It's definitley a top 5 novel for me by SK.
    MW that reads the book is fantastic in the audio version.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you don't like it, you don't like it. You can't help that. I wish I knew what I could say to help you to enjoy it more, but I don't. I know the manner Lisey talked turned some people off as they saw her as a silly character. I found her to be interesting and a little conservative, but realistic. I thought she conveyed the loss of her husband very well from the way she dealt with his office and even to her tasting the ancient piece of their wedding cake. Things like that make some people say who in their right mind would do that, but I respond that this was an action done by someone who absently wanted that connection to the person who mattered most in their life but had been removed their life forever. Small things like that actually hit very hard for me (partly because in the back of my mind I wonder how long it will be before I'm doing things like that, but that's for a different day) and show me just where King's thoughts really were after he was struck by that van. This really is one of his most subtle and powerful stories, but it's the little things in the story that show that, not the major plot itself.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Note: Sam's post right above has been copied here from The 2010 Reader Awards, where it was addressed to bears

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

BIG BUMP (spoilers too) - can anyone help me in locating the exact spot where Lisey is in the pool and sees the figure that may or may not be Scott himself? That's always been one of my favourite passages, and always genuinely spooked me, but I've been flipping through the book for an hour now and can't find it!

Also, does anyone else have trouble with pronouncing it Lee-see? Since the day I picked the book up the first time, it's rhymed with icy, and I can't change that...

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy_ed View Post
    BIG BUMP (spoilers too) - can anyone help me in locating the exact spot where Lisey is in the pool and sees the figure that may or may not be Scott himself? That's always been one of my favourite passages, and always genuinely spooked me, but I've been flipping through the book for an hour now and can't find it!
    Is this what you're looking for? Section 9 in XI. Lisey and The Pool. Roughly 3/4 of the way through the book.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Also, does anyone else have trouble with pronouncing it Lee-see? Since the day I picked the book up the first time, it's rhymed with icy, and I can't change that...
    Yes.
    I've always said it as rhyming with icy, too. And I refuse to change that.

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Is this what you're looking for? Section 9 in XI. Lisey and The Pool. Roughly 3/4 of the way through the book.
    That's it! Thank you. Chills..

Along the Path of the Beam Jacqui will become famous soon enough Jacqui will become famous soon enough Jacqui's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm rereading Lisey's Story at the moment, and I don't know what's going on. I read it a couple of years ago, and I remember enjoying it, but I'm reading it now and barely remember any of it. This is very unusual for me, I tend to remember books, even if I've only read them once. But this is like reading a brand new book...

Um, I think I was pregnant when I read it the first time, but that doesn't explain it. I read other books I'd never read before then and I remember them. It's strange. But I'm intrigued by the book all the same. I only remember the very first bit, with Lisey in Scott's study, looking for the spade. Everything after that is like new to me.

I hope I like it as much as I think I did...

Gunslinger Apprentice Bunyip will become famous soon enough Bunyip will become famous soon enough Bunyip's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm thinking about reading it again after stumbling across this thread. I didn't overly enjoy it the first time. I certainly didn't hate it, but it didn't put me in a trance like a few of his favourites do. I'm just scrambling through Talisman/black house set again, then I might give Lisey another run.i will be interested to hear your thoughts on your own re read...interesting that you don't remember a great deal about it.

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm one of the many people who put Lisey's Story down somewhere between 50 and 100 pages in because I found the language too dense.

I re-read it last year and absolutely loved it, in fact, I think the period during which we got Lisey's Story, 11/22/63, and Duma Key to Under the Dome to be one of Sai King's greatest period of writing (indeed, I'd put 11/22/63 and Duma Key in my Top 5 King novels).

Definitely worth a re-read if you suffered through the first read and didn't finish it.

Along the Path of the Beam Jacqui will become famous soon enough Jacqui will become famous soon enough Jacqui's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed it, but even right up to the end, still didn't remember anything of the actual story I know for certain I'd read before. Very strange indeed

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by craigobau View Post
    I'm one of the many people who put Lisey's Story down somewhere between 50 and 100 pages in because I found the language too dense.

I re-read it last year and absolutely loved it, in fact, I think the period during which we got Lisey's Story, 11/22/63, and Duma Key to Under the Dome to be one of Sai King's greatest period of writing (indeed, I'd put 11/22/63 and Duma Key in my Top 5 King novels).

Definitely worth a re-read if you suffered through the first read and didn't finish it.
    I recently re-read Duma Key and it's a fantastic book. I think I'll give this a re-read too.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by craigobau View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I recently re-read Duma Key and it's a fantastic book. I think I'll give this a re-read too.
    I'm about 60 pages out from finishing my first read of Duma Key. Awesome, awesome story telling. I'd add it to my top 5 as well. I recall liking Lisey's Story when I read it but could tell you very little about the story now. Probably one I won't revisit.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Lisey's Story was one I struggled to read the first time, although I did finish it. I picked it up for a reread and couldn't do it. My least favorite of all King's works.

John

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's Revival for me. I know a lot of people like it but it never sank in while I was reading it. Strongly disliked the final showdown if you will.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Lisey's Story was one I struggled to read the first time, although I did finish it. I picked it up for a reread and couldn't do it. My least favorite of all King's works.

John

Worse than Thinner? I have started Thinner four times and have yet to make it past half way. I thought the movie might help so I watched...no help.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

Thinner was my first read of King but I didn't know it at the time as it was loaned to me by a girlfriend who revealed later to me that it was King. Good thing I really enjoyed. Would have missed out on a lot!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John

Worse than Thinner?
    Worse. It's longer.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I barely made it through Lisey's Story the first time, and it took about 3 months, with about 7 or 8 books started and completed during the same period. I know I'd never make it through a reread. It is not my absolute least favorite, that position is reserved for The Regulators, but it is #2.....from the bottom.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Traveler Constant-Reader will become famous soon enough Constant-Reader's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I barely made it through Lisey's Story the first time, and it took about 3 months, with about 7 or 8 books started and completed during the same period. I know I'd never make it through a reread. It is not my absolute least favorite, that position is reserved for The Regulators, but it is #2.....from the bottom.
    that's funny because I really liked Lisey's Story and The Regulators. but I don't think there is a Stephen king book I didn't like...

what did you dislike the most about Lisey's Story?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I remember I read the book when it first came out, and I really struggled with it. I just found it to be very slow and boring. Almost quit numerous times but persevered because it was King. Yet when I got to the end, I was thoroughly disappointed and thought it was a huge waste of time. And since then I've been saying how much I hated it.

Well I just listened to the audiobook, and dare I say that I actually enjoyed it a bit this time. It wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered it being. I don't know if it's that I listened to the audiobook so it was much faster to get through this time versus reading the book. And it was narrated by Mare Winningham who did a fantastic job. I actually really enjoyed the portions of the book about Scott's family and Boo'ya Moon. I wish the whole book was about his childhood and how he grew up in this very dysfunctional family. I think I would have enjoyed that immensely more. The parts with Lisey were still a little bit tedious though. And the language was very annoying. But I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it more this time around.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice kaufen is on a distinguished road

I believe I only have about 125 pages left. Really good book!

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Loved this book! The story isn't the strongest but it's the relationship between a wife and dead husband that captivated me... Boo ya is unlike any place SK has imagined before, but would love to visit for a while. The back story of his childhood and smucking father was brilliant and would make a novel in its own right, filling in blanks like his mother?! For me it was one of his best totally loved it...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Losers Club Podcast episode on the novel:

https://shows.acast.com/losersclub/e...n-liseys-story

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5