Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: unnecessary junk references

Gunslinger Apprentice AIMB will become famous soon enough AIMB's Avatar

Default unnecessary junk references

So I just started reading the tower books again. (I haven't done a re-read since book 7) anyways, I have always wanted to know if I was the only one who rolls there eyes and hates all the references to balls and masterbating and that sort of thing in Stephen King's books. I'm not sensitive or anything but they always seem so out of place and they bring me out of the story. I have learned to just read over them so it doesn't matter soo......or is it b/c I'm a girl and males actually think like that and it's not really that strange?

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

some examples would be nice, I can't think of any reference right now, other than Roland talking about a sandwich
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

Gunslinger Apprentice AIMB will become famous soon enough AIMB's Avatar

as in roland thinking "at least i jerk off with my left hand" in the beginning of tdott

is there a book search on this site like the one on tdt.net?

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

oh, in that case: yeah, guys do think like that
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually like the "junk" references, man!
    Not in a "Oh, now here's my chance to picture a pair of bollocks" kinda way, but because it adds a bit of humour to the situations. It's King's way of writing, and this is an aspect I enjoy. Sometimes it's a little shocking, and that's better still! It relates Roland to most other guys in the world, also, which makes him seem more...human, I guess.

Yeah, I like 'em.
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AIMB View Post
    as in roland thinking "at least i jerk off with my left hand" in the beginning of tdott

is there a book search on this site like the one on tdt.net?
    That line was great!! Even my girlfriend laughed when she read that.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

is there a book search on this site

no. but we do have an awesome wiki.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i actually dont find SK that bad with his references, and if he does its usually within keeping with the story or as an injection of humour (aka our quote)

the worse writer ever for just throwing in a dick and a fuck is james herbert, read any one of his books and i can guarantee a sex scene or a random jerk off comment

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I like the references like this. They remind me how real the characters are.
    Thinking of Roland making his journey all over the f'n world without having to satisfy his urges at some point just isn't realistic to me.

And I don't think it's just a male's perspective. If I lost my right hand, I'd be a little let down

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    the worse writer ever for just throwing in a dick and a fuck is james herbert, read any one of his books and i can guarantee a sex scene or a random jerk off comment
    Very true. It's as if someone told him when he was young that there must be a sex scene now and then... and he wishes he could do without it, but alas, law is law, he didn't invent the rule so it isn't up to him to change it...

April: do you think we could move it to Cara Laughs, so we can talk about all King books, not only the DT?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm with you on that, sister.
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

For real!

I'm sure I would think the same thing if I lost some fingers on the "non fun" hand. Be damn glad I had my correct hand in the way a pianist would.

I guess that's kind of the same thing.

I think King has a knack of making his characters very real in that way.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm sure I would think the same thing if I lost some fingers on the "non fun" hand. Be damn glad I had my correct hand in the way a pianist would.
    Reminds me of an old friend of mine who once famously said to a bunch of us when we were drunk, "sometimes I like to masturbate with my left hand because it feels like it's someone else." Sorry, couldn't help but share that one.

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

That was 20 years ago, but I will never ever forget it. It's probably the only reason I still even remember that guy.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Reminds me of an old friend of mine who once famously said to a bunch of us when we were drunk, "sometimes I like to masturbate with my left hand because it feels like it's someone else." Sorry, couldn't help but share that one.

That reminds me of a line in a movie, but I don't remember what it was. Someone said something to the extent of "I like to sit on my hands until they fall asleep, then jerk off cause it feels like it's someone else."

Wow...this thread took a totally different turn.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    That reminds me of a line in a movie, but I don't remember what it was. Someone said something to the extent of "I like to sit on my hands until they fall asleep, then jerk off cause it feels like it's someone else."

The opening scene of "Gone In 60 Seconds".

Are you sure? Cause I've never seen that?

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post

The opening scene of "Gone In 60 Seconds".
    I think it has been in a couple different things, but I couldn't begin to tell you what.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Soooooo....April I think this answers your question (not just guys), but nearly EVERYONE here thinks in these terms.

Spoiler:
    me too!

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Me three.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Blaine the Terror Train Mad Man is on a distinguished road Mad Man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"at least i jerk off with my left hand"
    just epic....

I am the one I am the one
    The godlike terror train
    The superior, artificial brain
    Feel free to call me Blaine!

Gunslinger Apprentice Daffy is on a distinguished road Daffy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was glad he made that certain reference to losing his fingers, I mean that is how all guys think and it does help to make his characters seem that much more real beacuse you can totally relate to them.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

They never disturbed me. There aren't a lot of them so for me they didn't look out of place.

Roland would have understood.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Holy shit yeah!! I loved The Magic Cottage, because he restrained himself alot with that story...but I gave up on Once... because it was so gratuitous it became ridiculous, like Mills and Boon on ecstasy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast