Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The Long Road Home Discussion Thread

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know you are but what am I?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Times a billion to you...I'm rubber you're glue....totally owned. Give it up.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm rubber and you're glue. Bounces off me and sticks to you.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Thats it. I'm telling.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a quarter. Call someone who cares.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

We are all so lame.

Ok, back to topic.
    Really, I wasn't as impressed with this issue as I was with lots of Gunslinger Born. It was good and I liked it but not a very good start, imo. Drawings were awesome though, as usual.

Fun killer...

Okay, I really LOVED this issue, and at first I didn't think much of the Pink Grapefruit turning into an eye myself, but when I read it again, I found it worked better. My only minor complaint was how Cuthbert and Alain talked...at certain moments it sounded out of character. For me the end-story was just so amazing that it made up for the few flaws.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    We are all so lame.

Ok, back to topic.
    Really, I wasn't as impressed with this issue as I was with lots of Gunslinger Born. It was good and I liked it but not a very good start, imo. Drawings were awesome though, as usual.

I would totally agree with that assessment. There is a lot of potential, though.

Country
    Country Flag

At this point, I'm more excited about future end-stories than I am about the continuing new storyline. I'm sure it will get better though.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It's worth it for the artwork alone, I think.

Yeah, that quote button works wonders hunh Daghain?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, especially when people get their posts in before I do.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Am I the only person who liked the grapefruit eye?

Country
    Country Flag

Yes.

Hey! Didn't I just say in two posts that I didn't like it at first but then did the second reading?

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought it was cool.

<-----is apparently lame.

Also, have we gotten an official word on when the next issue is coming out?

*edit* I missed that Matthew! Yay! Someone else!

Your dog is not lame, Erin. Don't say that...

And no. We haven't yet. But most likely it will be the first Wednesday of every month.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Good. I hope they stick to that schedule. I'm leaving for Ireland on April 4th, so if it comes out on the 2nd, I won't have to wait and be in agony for a week.

Along the Path of the Beam MaraJShakespeare is on a distinguished road MaraJShakespeare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I'm not waiting on the hardcover--I'm buying each issue as it comes out (along with the variants). I'm just waiting for the whole arc to be published until I read it. This is what I did with Gunslinger Born, too.

John
    Wow, really? You can stand having it in the house, just sitting there for months, and not read it? I couldn't do that; no way in hell would I be able to pull that off! I agree in principle, however, that the story would be best experienced in one long piece; the only problem I have with the format is the brevity of each monthly chapter. But I just can't wait, gotta have the fast gratification. So what I do is re-read it in one piece a short time after the last issue comes out. Then, when the whole Marvel series is over, I'm going to read it as a preamble to re-reading the books (which should also, by then, include the upcoming Grant Revised Gunslinger/Little Sister of Eluria). I will show enough self-control not to re-read the books again before this; that I can manage. Most of my self control is devoted to keeping an even temper and having the patience to cope with the people I love, so there isn't much left when it comes to pleasure-resistance. If King puts something out, I read it that day, almost always. I finish most of the books within 3-5 days, usually (Duma Key I stretched out over almost two weeks, though, due to time constraints), doing nothing but reading and sleeping until I'm finished with it. I like to really live with a long novel over whatever length of time it takes, and I like a good series even better- right now I'm re-reading Harry Potter, from Philosopher's Stone through Deathly Hollows, wishing his story had been around when I was a kid. It's a damn good story, and precisely the kind of influence I consider positive where our young minds are concerned- figured right away if the fundamentalist, ultra-right-wingers/Mike Huckabee voters hated them, these books must have some redeeming qualities. Rowling has had a positive effect on our collective culture in much the same manner as S.K. has, creating thoughtful, intelligent literature that people in large numbers actually want to read. I'm pretty sure an awful lot of the Harry Potter generation will discover King and other great writers of high fantasy, having learned to enjoy long, complex novels from Rowling.

Wait a minute; I was talking about self-control originally, as it relates to reading; how did I get to Harry Potter? Those stories would do well as graphic novels also, but they've already been filmed brilliantly. Maybe that's why I'm thinking of them; they are a long series of novels turned to films that have remained both excellent and profitable throughout. If this can be done, surely someone can make the Dark Tower just as well? Or what about a definitive, 2-or-3-part, big-screen version of The Stand? Get Frank Darabont to do it and finally give King's masterpiece the treatment it deserves? The miniseries was all right, I guess, but the book deserves better, and we seem to have a creative atmosphere in which it's quite workable. Think of the possibilities. . .
    We place no reliance
    Upon virgin or pigeon;
    Our method is science,
    Our aim is religion!

-Motto of Aleister Crowley

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As a generic monster, I thought the Grapefruit eye was very cool. But to have the glass turn into it, just wasn't right. The Wizard's rainbow is monstrous, yes, but not in that way. Also it contradicts that section of the book (bearing in mind we hadn't quite got into the new territory at that point.)

I think the only way that would have worked was as an image created by the Grapefruit, whilst Roland was inside. (I.e. the eye could be the Grapefruit's metaphorical 'inner face', but it still remains a piece of magic glass in the physical sense.) When I first saw the scene with Susan at the start, I thought it was something he was viewing in the glass, since that's how Alain and Cuthbert found him at the end of Gunslinger Born. Then Alain and Cuthbert turned up and no, it's supposed to be the real world after all.

As to returning to Susan... the comic doesn't make it clear where the charyou tree fire was, but according to the book it was...
    (Don't think this is really needed as it's minor if you've read all published comics. Just to be sure though...
    Spoiler:

on Green Heart, which is the lawn outside the Mayor's house (if I remember correctly.)
    Considering the posse etc... that just didn't make sense and again clashed with the book.

Of course Roland still being in the glass when they left Hambry, also contradicts the book somewhat.

He states in Wizard and Glass,
    Spoiler:
    "I was certainly gone... I was travelling. Wandering. Not in Maerlyn's Rainbow, exactly ... I don't think I ever would have returned from there, if I'd gone into it while I was still ... sick ... but everyone has a wizard's glass of course. Here.' He tapped his forehead gravely... "That's where I travelled while my friends travelled east with me." (Actually shouldn't that be west? Funny Mid-world directions...) "I got better there, little by little. I held on to the ball, and I travelled inside my head..."

Of course being away, could be interpreted a number of ways, and it could be argued, his memory was suspect (which isn't a stretch if you read the books. There was even a small bit where they discuss the fact that the past itself can be in motion so I guess the comic could follow one of those tangents.)

I'm certainly looking forward to future issues though. The little glimspses I've had of the storylines of future issues look very interesting.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Am I the only one not crazy about the long stalk in the middle of his forehead?
    I guess the 'dick head' term would be a bit too obvious right? (The picture I mean, not you.)

It does have a very interesting freaky look, but, yeah. It's not how the Crimson King should really look according to the various descriptions etc. Also isn't he supposed to have a long white beard when in human form? Maybe he hasn't grown it yet in this time period. That, or maybe he hasn't shifted fully into his human form there. He might be in transit so to speak. (That and if this is viewed 'todash' his appearance could be different).
    He can probably look how he wants anyway.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Just picked up the first issue last night. I read through the main story, and I'm hoping to finish up the backstory later on tonight.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I'm not waiting on the hardcover--I'm buying each issue as it comes out (along with the variants). I'm just waiting for the whole arc to be published until I read it. This is what I did with Gunslinger Born, too.

John
    You could put this in the dictionary under insane will power.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you!

John

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I had no problem with glass turning into an actual monster to grab Roland. Could be its just how the katet saw it at the time.

Little pink glass has amazing powers over the mind as we all know.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast