Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunslinger Born Discussion Thread

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Born Discussion Thread

This thread is for discussing the first comic book in the first series of seven.

This thread assumes everyone has read this comic book, so beware of spoilers if you haven't yet read it.

Please read the SPOILER WARNING thread and follow those rules in regards to any later comic book issues and/or the Dark Tower series of books. Thanks.

Enjoy!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #2

This thread is for discussing the second comic book in the first series of seven.

This thread assumes everyone has read this comic book and also the prior issue, so beware of spoilers if you haven't yet read them.

Please read the SPOILER WARNING thread and follow those rules in regards to any later comic book issues and/or the Dark Tower series of books. Thanks.

Enjoy!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #3

This thread is for discussing the third comic book in the first series of seven.

This thread assumes everyone has read this comic book and also the prior issues, so beware of spoilers if you haven't yet read them.

Enjoy!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #4

This thread is for discussing the fourth comic book in the first series of seven.

This thread assumes everyone has read this comic book and also the prior issues, so beware of spoilers if you haven't yet read them.

Enjoy!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, I'm gonna test this site by posting grainy photos that are somewhat on-topic....

Here's Gunslinger Born issue #1 with a couple promotional materials, the Daily Bugle and the Marvel Spotlight.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Here are the two variant covers for issue #1.

The Jae Lee sketch variant (1:75 ratio - meaning one was printed for every 75 of the regular cover) and the Joe Quesada variant (1:25)

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Here is issue #2 - in all three covers. From left to right:
    Jae Lee variant (1:50), Finch variant (1:25) and the standard cover.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Here are the variant covers for issue #3.
    Jae Lee sketch variant (50:1) on the left and Leinil Yu color variant on the right (25:1)

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Here are the variant covers for issue #4.

Jae Lee sketch variant (50:1) on the left, Steve McNiven color variant (25:1) on the right.

and the standard cover, of course:

Last edited by Patrick; 05-11-2007 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Posted the correct regular cover this time.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

What is going rate for the two Variants?

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to say that this issue was 50 50 for me. Why put Marten on the cover? Really?

btw, i love the cover, it is my avatar but I wants me some more Marten!

end of the series spoiler

Spoiler:
    quick before he gets eaten by a spider.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

In this first amazing issue of The Gunslinger Born we get graphic in Rolands coming of age. I personally loved the art work of JAE and Richard. The ability to put art to words so descriptively is fasinating to me.

my favorite part was seeing Rolands fight with Cort. To actually see the same story told through someone elses eyes was so cool.

another thing i really like about the comics so far is the back stories at the end. Specifically, I really enjoyed The Sacred Geography of Mid-World.

The specific telling of the beams laid out and unbroken. Roland often has a difficult time remembering and retelling the stories in The Wastelands. Here they are, Vannay's words, straight.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The "conversation" between Roland and Steven was eye opening and funny. I find it funny only that I feel I know Roland as an adult not as a child and to read and see his interaction with is father made me laugh a bit.

The most interesting part of this issue for me was Marten Broadcloak and The Crimson King.

To actually read a see a real conversation with the two of them at the start of Roland becoming a gunslinger was so cool. I mean it was all forseen and knowing what really did come of it all is amazing.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree and its one of the reasons that I fell so much in love with them from the very beginning. I have seen too many adaptations to be bogged down on what they did or didn't miss.

But man...a conversation we had never seen before, now that is exciting.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

at the spoiler comment.

I think they are putting main characters on each of the covers and it was simply Marten's turn.

I haven't read this issue yet.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to say that I really enjoy most of this "in-fill" stuff going on. Those conversations being great examples.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Me neither. I am hoping my local comic concern has it when I drive to see Spider-Man tomorrow.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

And here's the standard cover.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Its funny how some pictures make you man-hot.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Far and away, this first issue was the best in terms of story line and artwork, IMO. Roland's coming of age is one of my favorite parts from all 7 of the DT books.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I wish Steve Dillon would have illustrated the comics.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just love the color variant for this issue. That's my favorite rendering of an adult Roland yet.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Here are the variant covers for issue #3.
    Jae Lee sketch variant (50:1) on the left and Leinil Yu color variant on the right (25:1)

I want the one on the left.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I wish Steve Dillon would have illustrated the comics.
    Why is that, Chris? (Who is he and what has he done?)

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

He is most well known for Illustrating Vertigo's Preacher comics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher_%28comics%29

There's a list of the other stuff that he has done here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Dillon

In the end, Jae has done some good work, for sure, but I would have expected something grittier, for a lack of a bette rword.
    It is a very very different art style, but when i first heard about the comics, taht is who I was really hoping would do it.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast