Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Saw it last night. I have mixed feelings. I enjoyed it, and the effects were (of course) awesome, but as pathoftheturtle pointed out, it missed a critical aspect of Star Trek - well, missed or just didn't care and traded it for flash and glam.

I thought that
    Spoiler:
    Spock prime might go through via the hole caused by the red matter somehow and/or that Scotty would figure out how to bring Amanda back from the transporter a la ST:TNG. Alas, neither happened.

By NOT going back and "fixing" the timeline, they have not contradicted ST:TOS in any way and have, instead, opened up an entirely new box of adventures for the crew of NCC-1701. I'm kind of okay with that, but I do hope there is a little more depth and a little less "trendiness" in the next movie. Hey, it's Hollywood. You know there will be another movie.

Soooo. Tough call.

Woofer Trek Background: While I don't have all the episodes on tape or anything of that nature, I am a Trekker (or Trekkie if you prefer) from way the hell back. My father made some faux (wooden) phasers, tricorders, and communicators for my brother and me so that we could play Star Trek as kids (I was about 5 or so). I always played Scotty. Yes, I was Scotty. Nyah nyah nyah. That was back in bad old 1969. Also, I still have my original models of the Enterprise, Constellation, and a warbird from when I was 9ish.

Agreed on Karl Urban's awesome job. I didn't even bloody recognize him!
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

if you remember in both the Search for Spock and in TNG it tells us that
    Spoiler:
    Spock's father remarried after his mother died. both women are human(mother and Sarek's new wife) but this is his stepmother in both movie and tng.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

However,
    Spoiler:
    Amanda Grayson was Spock's mother, and that's how Winona Ryder was credited in the movie.
    More information on Spock's lineage here, here, or here.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Crap!!! Woof just reminded me that was Winona Ryder.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Worried

Yeah. Like I told Cthulhu Lady: "Winona Ryder is playing Spock's mom? It's official. We're old."

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Yeah. Like I told Cthulhu Lady: "Winona Ryder is playing Spock's mom? It's official. We're old."
    I KNEW IT!!!!! I did not want to look as i knew it would age me out, BUT i bloody knew it.

ok so thats two casting that have got my back yp
    (love the smilie tho)

My Mood
    Worried

Heh heh. Thanks. I thought it was appropriate for the subtopic.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I wish I could see it. It's one hour one way to get to a movie theater for me
    Download the DVD like I did

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

All in all, I didn't like it. It was exciting enough but messy. It just seemed disorganized the whole way through. Also, how is it people that are in Starfleet Academy and in Kirk's case not even that much, get to suddenly turn around and be the bridge crew of a ship worth approximately 1,394,494,934,939 credits? That part really annoyed the hell out of me. And then they sort of 'pick up' Scotty more than halfway through the film and he somehow gets put in charge of the Enterprise' engines. But then, I guess if all you have to have to be made the captain of a starship is the last name "Kirk" Scotty's winning his place as chief engineer of a Starfleet battlecruiser by 'hooking up' with Kirk along the way makes perfect sense. I mean seriously, the way they introduced Scotty reminded me of the time that some street walker I deigned to say "Hello" to followed me and my friends to a frat party.

I'm still on the fence with how they worked the plot...basically making it so that they can rewrite cannon anyway they want. I can't decide if its pure genius or just the easy way to get out of following the established history. I guess its a bit of both.

Spock? WTF? Emotional enough for ya? Hey Spock why don't you just break down and start balling like a little girl!?

Now I will say that McCoy? Dead...fucking...on. Perfectly written and acted. I'll see the next one just so I can see how McCoy works out.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will agree that being like "ooh, time travel!" was probably the easiest (and therefor probably worst) way to take their own creative liberties. It was lazy. Still like the film, though.

And Spock WAS emotional, I mean, I never watched much original Star Trek, but I'm pretty sure Spock was always cool and collected. So watching him flip out like a nutjob was kind of weird.

Also, am I completely dense for not realizing Winona Ryder was in this? Yes. I'm less happy now that I know.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

She was? Wow...I totally missed that one.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    She was? Wow...I totally missed that one.
    she was - but we dont like to talk about it due to the terribleness that is Ms Ryder playing spocks mum.

just to got back a few posts, re
    Spoiler:
    spock being too emotional, i have to agree with you on this one, i know he is half human but the whole trek series was made around him havin no emotions and things being logical. the most frustrating part is, its sylar for gods sake!!! ZQ plays sylar brilliantly without emotion, so i say its down to scripting!!!

My Mood
    Worried

That's because Zachary Quinto is bringing new "depth" to the character (or that's what they want us to think). He was all right, but he was too Sylar for me.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

probabley because he played sylar better, ie without depth

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My daughter and 12-year-old grandson took me to see this Sunday. I thoroughly enjoyed it, probably because I didn't over-analyze it. This was my grandson's second viewing and he said he enjoyed just as much as the first.

John

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

I thoroughly enjoyed it, probably because I didn't over-analyze it.
    Here here. I felt the same way. I thought the casting couldnt have been better (in the exception of Scotty. I would have loved to see Paul McGillion in that roll). Outside of Spock I thought the actor who portrayed Bones nailed it the best. I got a sense that this Bones will also turn to be old a crotchety one day.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

My Mood
    Worried

*looks around for the post she made after this one*

I guess I never hit post reply.

Bottom line: Some of us can't divorce the images of TOS and the spirit of all of the ST series from it. We've been Trekkers for 7x as long as we haven't (42 years). That is a lot of years to influence our view of the franchise, particularly when you consider the additional influences of TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise over those 42 years.

But I did like Bones, goddammit. Karl Urban rocked my world as young Leonard McCoy.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

*looks around for the post she made after this one*

I guess I never hit post reply.

Bottom line: Some of us can't divorce the images of TOS and the spirit of all of the ST series from it. We've been Trekkers for 7x as long as we haven't (42 years). That is a lot of years to influence our view of the franchise, particularly when you consider the additional influences of TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise over those 42 years.

But I did like Bones, goddammit. Karl Urban rocked my world as young Leonard McCoy.
    you know, i actually quite liked Kirk too. not to start with, but he did grow on me, and he certainly had that kirk twinkle in his eye. mr c thoughts on this
    are that kirk would never have got as far as he did due to his whole rebelish ness and recklessness, he would never have been invited into the academy with this attitude (basing this on original starfleet discussions from star trek and NG)

spock as mentioned, would appear at first glance to be perfect casting, but i felt let down by the script with spock, mr c thoughts on this and he felt that spock would have been very emotional when he was younger and he would still be coming to terms with his human part, and the spock we saw on Strek would have been one that had spent years coming to terms with this.

Loved bones, and he had the perfect lines (very bonesish). therefore I can only presume that the script writers only watched a few of the old episodes and based the film on these. mr c says he thought he was shorter

as previously mentioned i did not rate scotty, very badly casted, scripted and thought out. mr c says; in the series they were all the same age, but scotty in this film was a decade older.
    Last edited by candy; 06-11-2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: edited; for mr c thoughts as he was wittering in my ear the whole time - have you told them this, have you told them that

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Karl Urban was probably my favorite part of the movie. It's been a couple of weeks now, and that's still what stands out in my mind. He nailed the role.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

That's because Zachary Quinto is bringing new "depth" to the character (or that's what they want us to think)...
    Sadly, I think just the opposite. Leonard Nimoy created one of the most deeply layered characters ever to be on T.V. All that I saw was the dissolution of all of that.

One way of looking at it, though, which is kind of interesting:
    Spoiler:
    One of the unexpected side effects of the early demise of Kirk's father, apparently, was that Spock's father stopped being a total jerk much earlier in life. Did this Sarek object at all to Spock going into Starfleet? No clear reason why that should be so, but that's chaos theory for you. One little thing leads to another, and another...

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Heath View Post
    ...I got a sense that this Bones will also turn to be old a crotchety one day.
    Best line in the movie; Kirk asks something like "Who is that Vulcan guy?" and McCoy says, "I don't know, but I like him."That would be the only time that he will ever say that.

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    That's because Zachary Quinto is bringing new "depth" to the character (or that's what they want us to think)...
    Sadly, I think just the opposite. Leonard Nimoy created one of the most deeply layered characters ever to be on T.V. All that I saw was the dissolution of all of that.

One way of looking at it, though, which is kind of interesting:
    Spoiler:
    One of the unexpected side effects of the early demise of Kirk's father, apparently, was that Spock's father stopped being a total jerk much earlier in life. Did this Sarek object at all to Spock going into Starfleet? No clear reason why that should be so, but that's chaos theory for you. One little thing leads to another, and another...

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Heath View Post
    ...I got a sense that this Bones will also turn to be old a crotchety one day.
    Best line in the movie; Kirk asks something like "Who is that Vulcan guy?" and McCoy says, "I don't know, but I like him."That would be the only time that he will ever say that.
    Actually, path, reread my comment regarding Quinto's portrayal of Spock. It's 100% sarcasm.

Regarding Sarek
    Spoiler:
    I don't think that we're supposed to believe Kirk's father's death caused Sarek's change as much as we are to believe that the entire incident surrounding that death caused changes that reached far beyond the impact of a wife losing a husband or a son losing a father. That incident caused far-reaching changes in the universe - at least in our portion of it.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Uh... I don't see any disagreement here at all, between you and I. We're saying the same things... which is fine, right?

My Mood
    Worried

Yes, that's absolutely correct, but I thought (and I was clearly wrong) that you thought that I meant the opposite of what I meant, so I wanted to be sure that you knew what I meant.

Thought. Meant. Thought. Meant. Thought. Meant. Sorry. I just felt that I had not used those two words sufficiently in this post.

Thought.

Meant.

ETA: THOUGHTMEANT. That is all.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

love that pot woofer, i dont think it could have been more confusing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast