Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: DT Typos, Bloopers and Artwork Mistakes.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    well - as a version - I'm a smoker with 27-year experience, and I'd rather smoke with the help of the hand I always smoke with even if it was injured, than with the other. Smokers have rituals, without which it just doesn't taste as delicious.
    I asked my Moon ("Hey, darling would you smoke with your same hand if a big moster cut off three of your fingers - your index and your middle as well - from that hand of yours??") he was a bit surprised first but then he said that Jean had said before - he would use the same hand.
    So,
    smokers
    do you all say that you would use the same hand?
    It's very interesting and it's important to understand the picture to.

Anyway...
    Jean...
    haven't you given up smoking??

Roland would have understood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, although I use my right hand most often both of my hands have a smoking habit.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I quit a few months ago, but when I did I smoked with the right except when I drove, then with the left so I could keep it out the window. So if I can, surely Roland of Gilead can

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Of course he can the question is if he would or not...

Anyway I am from the club who sees his index and middle fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Like I said earlier, if he was using his right hand to smoke after he was injured he was getting all kinds of nasty smoke into his wounds, not to mention he was putting his wound right in his face every time he took a drag. For those reasons I think he'd have switched to smoking lefty.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Like I said earlier, if he was using his right hand to smoke after he was injured he was getting all kinds of nasty smoke into his wounds, not to mention he was putting his wound right in his face every time he took a drag. For those reasons I think he'd have switched to smoking lefty.
    But, he wouldn't have a free hand to draw his gun if he were smoking with it

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    He'll have to determine his priorities.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Tobacco is actually quite good for open wounds.

Not sure about the smoke, but there you go.

This is obviously a moot point because the pic shows only two fingers with a thumb so he's doing it right there.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Tobacco is actually quite good for open wounds.
    Yes, didn't he sprinkle tobacco on the wound before he ever got the Keflex?

I'm also not sure about the smoke. I don't think it would do any significant harm to any open wound though
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyway...
    Jean...
    haven't you given up smoking??
    Yes. I haven't smoked for one year (come January), and had smoked for 27 years before that. But even my not smoking now (for the reasons you know) does certainly not make me a non-smoker. I am still a confirmed smoker, who has to abstain.

And yes, tobacco is good for wounds! Tobacco is good for everything! (some argumentation is given in this thread, and if we go on developing this particular question, it's where we'll have to move).

For me personally, the most sound argument so far was the one coming from R_of_G as an artist - namely, that if it's the index and the middle finger, the picture is perfect, while if it's those other two fingers, it is not. I can't form my own opinion here, but I like the logic and I trust an artist's eye much more than my own.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, I'm a little amazed by it all. It just seems so very clear to me.

I figured when people saw the full sized pic the question would be answered, that hand is totally mangled.

I figured when people saw the full sized pic the question would be answered, that hand is totally mangled.
    On the contrary. The more I look at the full-sized version, the more I'm convinced I am looking at the first two fingers. Maybe we should email Mr. Whelan and ask him. "Dear Mr. Whelan, did you screw up a pic of Roland's right hand?"

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Maybe we should email Mr. Whelan and ask him. "Dear Mr. Whelan, did you screw up a pic of Roland's right hand?"
    That sounds like the plan. I'm right on it.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually considered doing that very thing. Strange how we can both see two totally different things.

For instance, there are only two fingers there if you look close. There should be 4 if they are all there. No hint of the other two whatsoever

I actually considered doing that very thing.
    I'm not at all above doing it. On a guitar forum I belong to I had gotten into a deate with another member about what model guitar a specific musician was using with one of his projects. The other guy was going by his best estimate from pics he had seen, I was going from stuff I'd read in interviews with the guitarist and having seen him play the guitar in question from about 2.5 feet away. Long story short, I wrote to the musician's agent and asked him to pass along the question. I got a response from the artist an hour later [I was correct btw]. We should try to contact Whelan, but we have to find a way to phrase the question without tipping the scales one way or another.

For instance, there are only two fingers there if you look close. There should be 4 if they are all there. No hint of the other two whatsoever
    [/QUOTE]

From the angle, it is perfectly reasonable that the other two fingers would be hidden from view if the first two are present. There are also two ways of looking at what is visible between his fingers closer to the palm. One view says its the butt end of the cigarette, and this is how I see it. However, it is also possible that that little thing is the tip of his ring finger visible beneath the other two. It's impossible to tell as the area is so small, but it is entirely possible.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I sent out the e-mail. It would be nice to get a response from Mr. Whelan himself.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Of course I'll post the reply if I get one.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah, I would love to hear what Michael Whelan would say. I'm totally up for that.

To me, that space between finger and thumb is a very grisly piece of hand, seems clear as a bell to me.

But I can understand different perceptions.

Oh and I name dropped TheDarkTower.com of course

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Sweet!

I had an email from his wife wishing us luck on the site.

About a week ago

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I sent out the e-mail. It would be nice to get a response from Mr. Whelan himself.
    Way to go! Whether he proves me right or wrong it'd be so cool if he responded.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't have a full-sized image to look at right now, so I can't say for sure, but I do know that Michael Whelen is a huge DT fan. During PalaverCon we actually had him hosting a feature called "Stump the Artist" where the crowd gave him DT trivia questions. He got the majority of the questions correct. Being the type of artist that he is, who gives great attention to detail, I find it hard to believe that he flubbed it up. Especially since Grant Books and King both had the opportunity to go over all of the illustrations long before they were put into print.

I don't think that Robert at Grant has the original of this one. I don't remember seeing it in his gallery. But they would have full-sized scans of the painting on file. We should hit up Nerak to do some detective work for us.
    Heng Dai

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree Aaron.

If Aaron goes home and doesn't see it...I'll sit in the car with the engine on and the garage door closed.

If Aaron goes home and doesn't see it...I'll sit in the car with the engine on and the garage door closed.
    How about going ahead and doing it anyway? Just for fun?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast