Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Keep track of your books

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

I noticed they also had a db for comics as well. Very cool, and there is a way around the 100 book limit. Just create a new database
    What I did was create one for SK books and then one for my other books.
    Really diggin' this program thanks again chooch!

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by funky dredd View Post
    I noticed they also had a db for comics as well. Very cool, and there is a way around the 100 book limit. Just create a new database
    What I did was create one for SK books and then one for my other books.
    Really diggin' this program thanks again chooch!
    Glad you are Funky Dredd...I like it also I knew about using another data base but didnt want to get people freaked..
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Most excellent thread. will have to investivate these databases further.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I wish I had enough collectible books that I would need a database.

Right now, I can just tell them.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Whatever you have will work with this program...Thats the beauty and its free
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've got almost 400 King books, not counting the anthologies, magazines, comics, books about King, but including my proofs. If I decide to go with this, I'll have to buy the full program!

John

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

Give the demo a try first John, that way you know if you like it and want to keep it then just buy it.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Whatever you have will work with this program...Thats the beauty and its free
    Y'know...you're right. It might be kind of fun to put my 6 books in there. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks Chooch.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by funky dredd View Post
    Give the demo a try first John, that way you know if you like it and want to keep it then just buy it.
    That's what I'll be doing, when I get a chance. It sounds like a lot of work to input all the necessary information, though, so I want to make sure I have the time to do it.

John

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Did you say to include the dashes in the number? I'll give that a try.

That comic database that Funky mentioned sure looks tempting. If the book one gets working well, I'll download the free trial of the comic one too.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Default How do you inventory your collection?

I had a question for you guys...

So I have been collecting for many years (as some of you old timers know) and I also have family members who are collectors as well which is probably what got me into collecting. In addition, I studied literature in college so books are a huge passion to me.

With that said, I have almost 2,000 hardcover (mainly signed/inscribed/rare/firsts/ SL editions, etc) in my apartment and probably just as many in my parents home. I think when Karen came over to my place once, she noted that my books are in no specific order, which is of no help in easily locating specific books. The only books that are in order of publication are the Joe Hill books - but that's probably because I've been collecting him fairly recently.

So my question is this... I know that most of you guys document your collections in an inventory type of way - probably in an excel sheet format. What should I document? Of course the author/title/etc... but what else do you document? Date of publication? Original price?

I'm trying to get an idea of how I should go about this so I can formally get my library on paper. The reason I am doing this is because fairly recently I have been noticing that I am bidding on and buying books that I already have and don't really need another copy of.

Hopefully this can be helpful to a few of us looking to document our collections...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

There is a thread discussing HOW TO: Keep track of your books
    I know from experience that whether it's an excel spreadsheet, or acess database the toughest part is maintaining the records.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am using a program called BookTome - http://booktome.shanemca.com/ - it is freeware and for my small but growing collection, it is great

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

My collection is nowhere near as extensive as yours. My "record" is my thread in the Collections subforum.

I have an old spreadsheet of my early purchases that is quite outdated. If I ever want to update it, I would have to check my email records for orders and receipts for pricing (I keep all those emails in their own archive), but the rest of the pertinent info I try to capture in my photo record collection thread.

By the way, I think we may already have a thread on this topic. If so, we'll merge this into that one and continue the discussion as I think it would be of interest to new and experienced collectors alike.

EDIT: Jerome beat me to the punch. We'll merge this there, but please continue the discussion, everyone.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I use an Excel spreadsheet, with the books, the proofs I own, anthologies, magazines, comics, promotional items, books about King, and art each in its own tab. On the last tab I keep the items I have on order.

For all the items, I put the date of publication, my cost, when I ordered it, when I got it, who I got it from and any other pertinent information (such as if it's numbered, signed, has a remarque, publisher's letters, etc.) and condition if not fine/mint.

John

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    EDIT: Jerome beat me to the punch. We'll merge this there, but please continue the discussion, everyone.
    Sorry boys! I knew I saw this somewhere but I wasn't successful in finding it in an initial search. This thread is pretty good info... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    I am using a program called BookTome - http://booktome.shanemca.com/ - it is freeware and for my small but growing collection, it is great
    Ps - this looks pretty amazing so far...

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

There is a free "book collector" template available for Microsoft Excel. It's kind of generic, but you can tweak it ... and did I mention? It's free.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    There is a free "book collector" template available for Microsoft Excel. It's kind of generic, but you can tweak it ... and did I mention? It's free.
    Interesting. Do you have a link, Pam?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

has anyone looked at the "intelliscanner" to catalogue?

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

organizing my collection is one of those new years resolutions which just never seems to get done........

Gunslinger Apprentice Riostar is on a distinguished road Riostar's Avatar

I used the site Library thing. i like it cause it tells you how many other members have read the books on your list and can direct you to threads where they are discussing books that appear in your catalog.

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm a fan of, and using, Collectorz.com's book Database that Chooch mentioned earlier.

Yes, it costs $30, but the simple fact that it can scan multiple sources for book information automatically makes it completely worth it to me.

You enter and ISBN, Title, or Author and the program can search LoC, Amazon, Alibris, etc... to find information about the book, cover art, dates, pages, dimensions, etc...

You can also export your collection right to an HTML web page, or in my case, a CSV file I import into SQL to to generate THIS LIBRARY PAGE of my own design that I wrote in C#/ASP.NET. Again, you can export direct to HTML from the program, so don't need to actually code anything if you don't want to.

It's 1 of 2 pieces of Shareware that I ever actually bought.

Best thing is you can use a barcode scanner to scan your collection and mass add them all and let the program just go to the internets to find all the info. I got a cheap USB barcode reader on eBay for $20 about 3 years ago when I got this software. It took my wife and I about a hour to get our ~1000 books into the program with all info populated.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

now that sounds very cool!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast