Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Keep track of your books

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    yea, I'm pretty much a geek. I keep them all on-line, so I can check them out while at work or whenever.

book collection

And another one that I am trying to set up, but I've just been lazy, and only have about 50 entries so far. It's called LibraryThing. It's actually pretty cool, it's also a social network, if you want it to be.

My LibraryThing

that is one incredible web page....

did you use a software gui to develop the HTML, or did write the code from scratch?
    if you used software, would you mind sharing what it is/where you got it with me?
    i've been teaching myself HTML for a couple of months... but would like to simplify the original source writing using a good gui program - then do the tweaking.
    i'm pretty much a geek also - i know fortran,pascal,turbo pascal, basic,Q-basic, C, C++, autolisp, Unix, SKILL, and AMPLE languages...so i'm picking up the HTML coding fairly easy... but having a good GUI program to do the grunt work for me would expedite things for me.

thumbs up on your catalog page.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I hate C++.

You can quote me on that.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    yea, I'm pretty much a geek. I keep them all on-line, so I can check them out while at work or whenever.

book collection

And another one that I am trying to set up, but I've just been lazy, and only have about 50 entries so far. It's called LibraryThing. It's actually pretty cool, it's also a social network, if you want it to be.

My LibraryThing

that is one incredible web page....

did you use a software gui to develop the HTML, or did write the code from scratch?
    if you used software, would you mind sharing what it is/where you got it with me?
    i've been teaching myself HTML for a couple of months... but would like to simplify the original source writing using a good gui program - then do the tweaking.
    i'm pretty much a geek also - i know fortran,pascal,turbo pascal, basic,Q-basic, C, C++, autolisp, Unix, SKILL, and AMPLE languages...so i'm picking up the HTML coding fairly easy... but having a good GUI program to do the grunt work for me would expedite things for me.

thumbs up on your catalog page.
    Thanks for the complements!

No, I just code it myself. Basically I use a lot of includes, a css file, and a template. I use Dreamweaver, and I use the code part of the program. I really don't like drag and drop interfaces. I use php for the database and includes. But I don't use the database as much as you would think, as a lot of the information is book specific. So a lot of the stuff is hand written, as is the image placements.

Enough rambling. What it comes down to with a template, includes and a css stylesheet, I only have to create about 25% of a page to add a new book. If it's a trade edition it's done in under 5 minutes. If it's a Limited Edition it might take me up to 20 minutes. It matters how many pictures I take, and how much extra stuff and/or links I add to the page.

I recommend Dreamweaver, though. It's the only program I'll use for non-object oriented web sites.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I hate C++.

You can quote me on that.

yea, I like VB.net. It may not be as robust as C++, but it's a hell of a lot easier to work with.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    I use Excel. I've been collecting King since the early 80's. The books have value so keeping an updated spreadsheet makes my insurance provider very happy.

Not all insurance companies cover books. I have an umbrella policy on my estate. I was surprised to find out my books are covered.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    Welcome to the site Mulleins. Great to have you here.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I just use an excel spreadsheet that I was meticulous in keeping current until the last six months or so. I do not know why I have slacked off!

I keep acquisition date, price paid, seller, condition, signed or not, # edition, and current market value in my spreadsheet

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

I don't have the current market value in my spreadsheet, that would be too much for me to keep up with.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. I have more than 380 books in my main spreadsheet. Trying to keep those up-to-date would be virtually impossible!

John

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I hope you keep a backup copy of that spreadsheet somewhere else, Wiz!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Seriously

I bet that thing is full to the rafters.

I think MS Access would work great for this so its cool to hear someone is using it.

Although that site is cool as hell as well.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I use Collectorz.com book for my collection. Its free up to 100 titles and its really a very good program. You can buy the full version for $29 but I have not had any reason as of yet. I know this is a old post but I think others that may need it should revist this...Thanks
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
    I use Collectorz.com book for my collection. Its free up to 100 titles and its really a very good program. You can buy the full version for $29 but I have not had any reason as of yet. I know this is a old post but I think others that may need it should revist this...Thanks
    Thanks for the idea, Chooch. I'm looking at it right here right now.

The full version is now $39, but on the right side of the screen if you scroll down, there is the free trial you mention.

Does it recognize the limited editions when you type in the basic info since they're generally not really Amazon material?

Edit: I've tried using the ISBN search function with a couple different books, it just goes into an endless search. Chooch, does that function work for you?
    Last edited by Patrick; 04-16-2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: update
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
    Thanks for the idea, Chooch. I'm looking at it right here right now.

The full version is now $39, but on the right side of the screen if you scroll down, there is the free trial you mention.

Does it recognize the limited editions when you type in the basic info since they're generally not really Amazon material?

Edit: I've tried using the ISBN search function with a couple different books, it just goes into an endless search. Chooch, does that function work for you?
    Yes it does....go into the screen to add a book (not add manually) and in the upper right there is a icon for "Info Sources" Pop that open and limit the search to the ones you want IE Powells, - Barnes & Noble- Library of Congress - British LibraryCongress etc etc. You can customize the software quite a bit...but you have to get used to how it runs and then you will see the makers train of thought. If you have anyother ? on this please ask. I have been using this four about 6 MO now.

That looks good, I'm going to give it a whirl. Thanks!

Country
    Country Flag

Default Collectorz.com

Quote Originally Posted by funky dredd View Post
    That looks good, I'm going to give it a whirl. Thanks!
    IMO it gives more vesitality than just spreadsheet...plus the bouns of seeing the covers also. If the program does not download a cover you can import it from somewhere else.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but this program seems based on the book's ISBN number. What do you do if it doesn't have an ISBN number, as do many of King's early works?

John

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Pen and notebook... or a txt file.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

As I said back when this thread first started, I use an Excel spreadsheet, but I don't list the ISBN as one of the fields. Of course, I don't have the covers in it either, though. That is a very nice touch!

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Excuse me if I'm wrong, but this program seems based on the book's ISBN number. What do you do if it doesn't have an ISBN number, as do many of King's early works?

John
    You can manualy enter any and all info

John, you can at least get some of his stuff off of wikipedia. Granted not all of them are there.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...y_Stephen_King
    main sk page
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King#The_books

But it does help...it did for me as I was able to grab some book covers.

I like this program already...I was able to import most of the covers that it didn't get during the download of information process. Thank chooch, this just might get me away from BookDB!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll have to try this program again tonight when I get home. Last night I entered a couple ISBNs and it went into endless search. I clicked on only Amazon and Library of Congress in an attempt to limit the database searches, but it didn't seem to help. As Funky is having immediate success, I'll try again.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

lol, I like the fact that almost all the screen shots have It or Cell in them.
    Geoff

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

lol, I like the fact that almost all the screen shots have It or Cell in them.
    Apparently they know their core market.

Country
    Country Flag

a good place to get all your cover's is at Lilja's Libary under DJ's and the right click, save picture as, put them wherevr you want(I keep mine under My Docs/Pictures/SK) open that folder and save. I did that with every cover there. When you are in the collectorz program there is a tab for cover (browse, find your file, find you cover,click and its there)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I'll have to try this program again tonight when I get home. Last night I entered a couple ISBNs and it went into endless search. I clicked on only Amazon and Library of Congress in an attempt to limit the database searches, but it didn't seem to help. As Funky is having immediate success, I'll try again.
    dont forget to imput with the dashes in the ISBN. I use the ISBN 10 not the 13
    also use Powell's,Amazon, Barnes & Noble.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    I use Excel. I've been collecting King since the early 80's. The books have value so keeping an updated spreadsheet makes my insurance provider very happy.

Not all insurance companies cover books. I have an umbrella policy on my estate. I was surprised to find out my books are covered.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    Welcome to the site Mulleins. Great to have you here.
    Im very surprised that they have not asked for an appraisel on your collection. Mine did and I told them to pound sand.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast