Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Keep track of your books

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

Default HOW TO: Keep track of your books

What does everyone use to keep track of what they have? I use a program called BookDB (which is free) and I also use a spreadsheet (if I can remember to update it). But what does everyone else do?

Link to BookDB
    http://www.spacejock.com/BookDB.html?BookDB2

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Shamefully, I don't. The valuable ones I know what I have, but beyond my own memory I use nothing to keep track of them.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

I don't keep track, either. I don't have any valuable ones, so I guess I never really felt the need. I just chuck 'em on a bookshelf. On the one hand, sometimes that leads to me double-buying a book. On the other hand, it's always a nice surprise when I run across one I haven't seen in forever, too, especially if it was still packed up in a box after a move...
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

You can either use a book database as mentioned or build one in Access. I built one, established the key and relationships, created a form, then never took the time to enter the data.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

People keep track of their books?

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I use my eyes and a series of bookshelves to keep track of all my books. I'm all oldskool.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    You can either use a book database as mentioned or build one in Access. I built one, established the key and relationships, created a form, then never took the time to enter the data.
    I thought about doing that, but then found BookDB and never thought of it again. I guess i'm just lazy, the less work I have to do on a computer after hours the better off I am going to be. If my pc at home has something going on with it be an error or something I feel like I am being drug behind a bus when I fix it! I guess that's what happens after all of these years working in the industry.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    I use my eyes and a series of bookshelves to keep track of all my books. I'm all oldskool.
    Go white boi! go white boi!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I use an Excel spreadsheet with the following tabs:

Books
    Checklist
    Magazines
    Comics
    Anthologies
    Promos
    Books About King
    Proofs
    Items on order

It seems to work fairly well for me.

John

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by funky dredd View Post
    I thought about doing that, but then found BookDB and never thought of it again. I guess i'm just lazy, the less work I have to do on a computer after hours the better off I am going to be. If my pc at home has something going on with it be an error or something I feel like I am being drug behind a bus when I fix it! I guess that's what happens after all of these years working in the industry.
    This database sounds like a great idea. I should do it. I used to keep an Excel spreadsheet with basic information (title, S/L number, date and price paid), but that is hopelessly out of date.

So, like Brice, I rely on my memory in regards to my collectible books. The good thing about that method is that I tend to forget how much I paid for these books - which increases my enjoyment of them.

My current strategy (as of last night) is to take photos of every book and post them in my "Collectible Books" thread here at TDT.com, so I'll have some kind of record that will survive if my house burns down.

After that, maybe I'll diddle with a database.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    Go white boi! go white boi!
    You know it!
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

yea, I'm pretty much a geek. I keep them all on-line, so I can check them out while at work or whenever.

book collection

And another one that I am trying to set up, but I've just been lazy, and only have about 50 entries so far. It's called LibraryThing. It's actually pretty cool, it's also a social network, if you want it to be.

My LibraryThing

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    yea, I'm pretty much a geek. I keep them all on-line, so I can check them out while at work or whenever.

book collection
    Geoff, this database is amazing. I am truly impressed with your books and with this site that you've created.

"...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

book collection
    And to show them off too, right?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Geez Greg, you could be assisting me on the King catalog (hint hint).

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I was thinking the same thing.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Actually I was going to offer, but my pictures are much smaller. I would have to re-scan my books. Which is still something I might do.

btw, thanks Patrick

@feverishparade. Yea, I guess a little. But honestly I've started this site about 4-5 years ago, and this is the first time I've shown it. It really is my own little geek thing, it's just pretty much for myself.

btw, Jerome, Greg is the most used name when someone screws up and calls me something other than my real name. lol

Geoff

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

book collection
    Geoff, I just checked this out and it's amazing! How long did it take you to set this up?

WOW!!

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry Geoff. The help I was thinking of besides scanning/pics was some of the info I saw listed about different books on your page(s). I'm sure you have seen the comments I made (hopefully) for books in the catalog thread. You have important info I did not include.
    I really would appreciate any and ALL help to provide valuable info to every book in the catalog.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Though I don't consider myself a collector, I love books and I have many. I use a cheap but efficient program called Bookpedia. I don't know if they have it for Windows. I like it because I can easily see which books I have read, what I thought of them as well as which books I haven't read yet.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I use Excel. I've been collecting King since the early 80's. The books have value so keeping an updated spreadsheet makes my insurance provider very happy.

Not all insurance companies cover books. I have an umbrella policy on my estate. I was surprised to find out my books are covered.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

book collection
    Geoff, I just checked this out and it's amazing! How long did it take you to set this up?

WOW!!

John
    It's been around 5 years. It originally started as my David Bowie collection (which has a very different theme), which is well above 500 items. But then I decided to add my books, and then just everything else I owned.

@RF, yes I can add some information.

book collection

And another one that I am trying to set up, but I've just been lazy, and only have about 50 entries so far. It's called LibraryThing. It's actually pretty cool, it's also a social network, if you want it to be.

My LibraryThing
    Wow that's awesome! Great job, that must have taken some time.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm working on a script with an access database linked where I can see the info of the book plus some pics of it.
    I'm still taking pictures..
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

This thread has convinced me to start keeping track of my books. Well I guess now I have a reason to use Excel at home

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast