Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nightmares & Dreamscapes - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

:radioactive: Nightmares & Dreamscapes - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

I just picked up this book again after years of it collecting dust.
    Went straight to The Moving Finger because that story always creeped me out. I think about it almost everytime I take a shower.

What are your faves from this collection?
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

One of my favorite collections. Best stories: Home Delivery, Crouch End, The Night Flier and Popsy.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Popsy is one of my favorite stories ever.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

My fav from this collection is Suffer the Little Children. This is one of my favorites period actually.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Traveler mdk101 is on a distinguished road mdk101's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Popsy is one of my favorite stories ever.
    Joel Mantegna (currently of 'Criminal Minds' fame) does a real good narration for Popsy in the audiobook

However I must admit I still get creeped out sometimes if i'm by myself in the bathroom at work after reading Sneakers aha.

Traveler sandcracker21 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

this is probably my favorite collection of stories so far, beating out everythings eventual by a slim margin

John F. Kennedy Crow is on a distinguished road Crow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I just picked up this book again after years of it collecting dust.
    Went straight to The Moving Finger because that story always creeped me out. I think about it almost everytime I take a shower.

What are your faves from this collection?
    Oh, definitely seconding you on Finger. Weird, mysterious, dark themes like that get me.

Also Crouch End, for the interdimensional theme.

Gunslinger Apprentice johnsmith87 will become famous soon enough johnsmith87's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've only read a few of the stories in Nightmares & Dreamscapes but my favorites so far are definitely The End of the Whole Mess and The Moving Finger.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone had a chance to listen to the new audio books for Nightmares & Dreamscapes?

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Currently reading this collection. Cant understand why anyone would like Sneakers. I just dont understand the whole point of the story. I finished it and said to myself "Ok, but why should I care"

Eyes Like Silver Dollars Tvmorbid is on a distinguished road Tvmorbid's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JQ The Gunslinger View Post
    Currently reading this collection. Cant understand why anyone would like Sneakers. I just dont understand the whole point of the story. I finished it and said to myself "Ok, but why should I care"
    Couldn't agree more, Sneakers never really did anything for me.

The Moving Finger is defiantly my favourite of the book, with Crouch End and Chattery Teeth coming very close seconds. Suffer the Little Children is disturbing as hell and The 10 o Clock People is just mental. I love this book, best collection of short stories EVER!

BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

It is probably my second favorite collection of shorts, my fav being Skeleton Crew. I havent read Just after Sunset yet though.

If Different Seasons counts, it might actually be my favorite, but its not really a collection of shorts.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Eyes Like Silver Dollars Tvmorbid is on a distinguished road Tvmorbid's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I generally don't count the book with only 4 stories in as collections (4 Past Midnight, Different Seasons etc) either, they're more a place for short novels to live

Did anyone catch the N&D TV series? The only one I managed to track down was Crouch End which I thought was quite well done, even if they did change some of it. Was wondering if any of the other episodes where any good and which stories had been adapted.

BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Umney's Last Case
    You Know They Got a Hell of a Band
    The End of the Whole Mess
    The Fifth Quarter
    The Road Virus Heads North
    Battleground
    Crouch End
    Autopsy Room Four

I enjoyed them.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Umney's Last Case
    You Know They Got a Hell of a Band
    The End of the Whole Mess
    The Fifth Quarter
    The Road Virus Heads North
    Battleground
    Crouch End
    Autopsy Room Four

I enjoyed them.
    The Road Virus, Battleground, and Autopsy Room are not short stories in this set of collection.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No, but they did appear in the Nightmares & Dreamscapes tv show, which is what Brice is talking about.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Gunslinger Apprentice John_Kenton is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Regarding the comments on Sneakers, just to note (and easily understandable, given the fragmentary nature of it) that he did not include The Reploids from Night Visions 5, which I found the most interesting of the three stories in that anthology. I wonder how that novel would have turned out, exploring parallel universes and all. I did like N&D as a collection, perhaps my favourite story in there would be The Ten O'Clock People, as I'm fond of that type of sub-sub-genre (something like paranoia stories). If you liked that one as well, try the short story The Grey Ones, by JB Priestley.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    Has anyone had a chance to listen to the new audio books for Nightmares & Dreamscapes?
    Yes, they're full of celebrity narrators. Very well done.

Personally, I liked "It grows on you." That story actually grew on me, I didn't understand it much at first but it just stuck in my mind.

I'm pretty fond of Skeleton Crew as well. SK's short stories is what really got me into his writing.

Traveler Edlchalz is on a distinguished road

I loved the 10 o'clock people being that I was that kind of smoker and it had that sci fi feel to it that I like, what's that story about the guy trying to quit smoking and they do it by torturing his family, is that in N&D?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Edlchalz View Post
    what's that story about the guy trying to quit smoking and they do it by torturing his family, is that in N&D?
    it's Quitters, Inc., from Night Shift

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Story List

•The Beggar And The Diamond
    •Brooklyn August
    •Chattery Teeth
    •Crouch End
    •Dedication
    •The Doctor's Case
    •Dolan's Cadillac
    •The End of the Whole Mess
    •The Fifth Quarter
    •Head Down
    •Home Delivery
    •The House on Maple Street
    •It Grows on You
    •The Moving Finger
    •My Pretty Pony
    •The Night Flier
    •Popsy
    •Rainy Season
    •Sneakers
    •Sorry, Right Number
    •Suffer the Little Children
    •The Ten O'Clock People
    •Umney's Last Case
    •You know they got a hell of a band
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread