Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis or Words You Love

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

mellifluous \muh-LIF-loo-us\ , adjective:
    Flowing as with honey; smooth; flowing sweetly or smoothly; as, a mellifluous voice.

sounds good doesn't it?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

disseminated

"He disseminated his seed far and wide. The king had to call in extra fire trucks to help clean it up."
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

risible \RIZ-uh-buhl\, adjective:
    1. Capable of laughing; disposed to laugh.
    2. Exciting or provoking laughter; worthy of laughter; laughable; amusing.
    3. Relating to, connected with, or used in laughter; as, "risible muscles."

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bump

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Heck yes!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Since it was out of place in the other thread....

gossamer

I don't know why, but if I come across that word in a book, I just want to savor it in my mind.
    I think I like it when a word has two consonants in a row, especially s.

algorithm
    allegory

Gunslinger Apprentice evilash is on a distinguished road evilash's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[B]Bourbon[B]. Just rolls off the tongue so easily. plus using the word usually means bourbon is being consumed as well!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evilash View Post
    [B]Bourbon[B]. Just rolls off the tongue so easily. plus using the word usually means bourbon is being consumed as well!
    I have a Chevy Suburban and we always just call it "the burban" for short.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Catalpa

It has a rhythm.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

usquebaugh

If you are going through hell - keep going

Soliloquy.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Extirpate
    Imbrue
    Excise
    Ameliorate
    Usurp
    Coagulate
    Attrition
    Ecumincal
    Carrion
    Propogate
    Maleable
    Intrinsic
    Primordial
    Vernacular
    Opaque
    Flog
    Permeate
    Sepulcher
    Tsar
    Perforate
    Traipse
    Encumber
    Skew
    Slough
    Chastise
    Monolithic
    Crux
    Epitome
    Transitory
    Heliocentric
    Pariah
    Dreg
    Eon
    Transient
    Vacillate
    Trounce
    Saccharine
    Ignominous
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I like "traipse", too!

Also "frolic" - for some reason, it makes me think of bunny rabbits

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I love a lot of words that mean different kinds of walking for whatever reasons: traipse, trounce, traverse, tread, saunter, mosey, strut, slink, amble, march, stagger, creep, glide, prowl, ramble, stroll, tramp, trek, slither. So many connotations to simply moving forward! It's endless, especially with modifiers! Depending on which word you choose it adds such an incredible amount of descriptive and expository information with a single word. I love language.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Emulate.

I've always loved that word. I wish I had more opportunities to use it in a sentence without coming across as a snob

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Egregious is one of my favourite words. Watching baseball, there is a new player named Rougned Odor, and I said, ' is this guys name rough odor? That's egregious odor.' I broke my friend, he laughs about it all the time haha.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I love a lot of words that mean different kinds of walking for whatever reasons: traipse, trounce, traverse, tread, saunter, mosey, strut, slink, amble, march, stagger, creep, glide, prowl, ramble, stroll, tramp, trek, slither. So many connotations to simply moving forward! It's endless, especially with modifiers! Depending on which word you choose it adds such an incredible amount of descriptive and expository information with a single word. I love language.
    I'm with you 100% on the love for language.
    Being as I am very sensitive to language subtleties (at least in my native Russian), I find it mesmerizing to read those authors who have extensive vocabulary. You are absolutely right, a single word can add so much - or, on the contrary, detract from the reading experience. My personal pet peeve is overuse of a particular word by an author - more often than not, it does not help "build up" a character or a story; it just shows someone whose vocabulary is subpar and who is too lazy to look up a synonym.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RainInSpain View Post

I'm with you 100% on the love for language.
    Being as I am very sensitive to language subtleties (at least in my native Russian), I find it mesmerizing to read those authors who have extensive vocabulary. You are absolutely right, a single word can add so much - or, on the contrary, detract from the reading experience. My personal pet peeve is overuse of a particular word by an author - more often than not, it does not help "build up" a character or a story; it just shows someone whose vocabulary is subpar and who is too lazy to look up a synonym.
    I try very, very hard not to overuse words. In my novel there is A LOT of blood, and there are only so many words you can use for blood without being too pretensious. I've used stuff like 'sanguinary spray', but is limited. I've had to get really creative, like 'bloody footprints' becomes 'dance flow chart in hell', stuff like that.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Egregious is one of my favourite words. Watching baseball, there is a new player named Rougned Odor, and I said, ' is this guys name rough odor? That's egregious odor.' I broke my friend, he laughs about it all the time haha.
    I got so much shit from my former co workers once because I used the word 'triumvirate' when describing my favorites team's 3 man attack formation lol.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

OK... granted, it's Spanish... but I LOVE the word

sacapuntas

most Spanish words sound way better than their English counterparts, anyhow!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Dont'cha know that I'm loving you....
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

stoic.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Simulacrum
    Obstinate
    Sycophant
    Pontificate
    Stupor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3