Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: General Comic Info, Questions and Help Wanted

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

See, it's a win-win for you!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The care and feeding of comic books

What is the proper way to store comic books? I know you can get protective covers for them, but what is a good way to store them?

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

For protective purposes for rereading only, use Marvel's new online catalogue. Entire lines of books online for a low monthly cost. To sign up as a Marvel.com member with access to the comics (Annual subscription for $4.99 a month w/ a lump sum purchase price of $59.88 or a $9.99 monthly fee subscription.) go here...

https://subscriptions.marvel.com/v3/...ssubscribe.php

For protective purposes in hopes that value will increase, CGC has a grading system where for a fee they'll grade and seal the comic. Provided the book is in good to mint condition, the actual grading and sealing will increase the value of the comic.

http://www.cgccomics.com/

And of course there's the old standards.

http://comicbooks.about.com/od/comic...ctionbasic.htm

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I have an entire collection of Doom Patrol comics (87 issues from the original run - might get the newer Arcudi stuff too though.) And they are all individually bagged with card backing aswell to prevent creasing. I keep them in my Harry potter cupboard (that's our under the stair cupboard, where all my bookshelves and books are...no kids allowed!) basically, as long as the room you're storing them in isn't affected by damp, you should be fine.

Edit: My collection isn't worth an awful lot - if I had anything really rare, the links Jimmy provided are the way to go. If your collection is just standard-ish like mine, then the sort of care I mentioned would be fine, imo
    Last edited by Darkthoughts; 12-01-2007 at 09:43 AM. Reason: read Jimmy's post!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I really only have the DT comics, but I'd like to keep them looking nice.

ETA: Thanks for the links, Jimmy - those are really helpful.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Now that thing is cool. :O

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

WOW.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I talked about it, in the other post about The Overlook Connection...

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Way to kill all my hard work in that previous post Flagg!

(That's effing SWEET!)

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

Damn that's nice! I might have to order one!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I got one. That was too good to pass up.

Merry Christmas to me!

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

So the Sam & Max comics are supposed to be rereleased but does anyone know when? I want them sooo bad!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice BlakeMP is on a distinguished road BlakeMP's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Basic protection is rather simple: The comic goes into an acid-free polybag with an acid-free backing board (easily available at any comic shop). Then, keep 'em in a cool, dry place and viola.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeMP View Post
    Basic protection is rather simple: The comic goes into an acid-free polybag with an acid-free backing board (easily available at any comic shop). Then, keep 'em in a cool, dry place and viola.
    That's what I do.

RF, herbertwest, anyone buy that slipcase from Overlook? What can you tell us about it? How many books does it actually hold? Is it big enough to hold the books bagged and boarded, or do they have to be "loose"?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

John F. Kennedy mattv2099 is on a distinguished road mattv2099's Avatar

I recently bought on ebay one of these CGC graded comics. It comes in a sturdy case. I would like to get cases like this for my DT comics. A search has turned up nothing. I dont' feel like sending all my DT comics into CGC and spending hundreds of dollars for them to grade the comics and put them in hard cases. I'm thinking DIY. BTW, the CGC I got was a quesada variant of issue one for $4.99 and it's graded 8.5 lol. the so called 'flaws' are so miniscule lol. Great deal IMHO.

John F. Kennedy mattv2099 is on a distinguished road mattv2099's Avatar

That slipcase is made for the set of 7 comics correct? Wouldn't inserting and removing the comics damage them? Do they fit in there with bags and boards? I don't get the idea of a slipcase for comics. It looks cool though. I might buy one just to see whats up.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I bought one, when I get it I'll let you know.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Wow, I'm going to have to post some pictures soon. I'm almost done bagging my comics and I'm on box 7. I've bought over 600 bags and backboards so far and I think I'm going to have to buy another 200 - 400.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Greetings All -

Just wondering if anyone is collecting CGC graded copies of the DT series? I've got a good collection going. Prices are still sort of all over though.

My DT CGC's :
    Comic Title Issue Number If Yes, Variant Info CGC Rating
    The Dark Tower : Gunslinger's Guidebook N/A N/A 9.8
    The Dark Tower : Gunslinger's Guidebook N/A N/A 9.6
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 1 N/A 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 1 N/A 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 1 Joe Quesada Cover Variant 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 1 Jae Lee Sketch Cover Variant 9.4
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 1 2nd Printing Variant 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 2 David Finch Cover Variant 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 2 2nd Printing Variant 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 2 Jae Lee Sketch Cover Variant 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 2 N/A 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 2 3rd Printing Variant 9.6
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 3 N/A 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 3 2nd Printing Variant 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 3 2nd Printing Variant 9.6
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 4 McNiven Cover Variant 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 4 N/A 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 4 Jae Lee Sketch Cover Variant 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 5 N/A 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 5 Greg Land Cover Variant 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 5 Jae Lee Sketch Cover Variant 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 6 N/A 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 6 J. Scott Campbell Cover Variant 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 6 Jae Lee Sketch Cover Variant 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 7 Jae Lee Sketch Cover Variant 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 7 Coipel & Powers Cover Variant 9.8
    The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 7 N/A 9.8
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think one of the other Directors (Aaron) has a very extensive collection of the first arc. Several copies of all of them, hope he sees this.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome turtlex. I have all of the first issues and vatiants, but it was expensive enough to do that.
    I shied away from any CGc rated comics.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome turtlex. I have all of the first issues and vatiants, but it was expensive enough to do that.
    I shied away from any CGc rated comics.
    I feel the same way. I REALLY don't see the value-added for a CGC rating. Of course, I'm not a comics collector, either. I just got all the issues and variants at the local store or via eBay for the ones he didn't receive.

John

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Hey Everyone - I love comics, DT and others ( daredevil, captain america, x-men, etc ) .

Honestly, I've only invested in the CGCs for the DT series, and a very few other non-DT comics ( death of captain america, yellow daredevil ).

Well, I figure with the CGCs, they're an investment. I have "reading" copies of all of the series, and the CGCs are to be put away and savored. Its documented, which I like, and "official" in the mint/near mint world. I just saw a 9.9 go for about 330 dollars on eBay. No way do I have that much to invest. Most of my 9.8s were purchased for under 40 dollars each.

I tell you, if you want to get into collecting - get the sketch variants graded by CGC ( I'm not a fan of PGX ). Then you can insure them.

My two cents, is all. I am really looking forward to the next series. The art is amazing and the stories so well drawn.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Some great advice. Thanks turtlex.

I totally agree on the artwork for the first arc--it was new, different and refreshing. I can't wait to see the images in the next set because it will be all new stuff.

My idea of what that all looked like when I read Wizard and Glass was pretty iron clad.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast