Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Dark Tower in different languages

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fivethirtytwo View Post
    I don't know why, but this thread is strangely compelling.

Sadly, none of the Dark tower books exist in my native tongue (Urdu).
    And do you have any friends from your country who love this series as much as you do?
    For my part I have only one Hungarian friend and I found her on the Internet, too.

Roland would have understood.

Along the Path of the Beam fivethirtytwo is on a distinguished road fivethirtytwo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post

And do you have any friends from your country who love this series as much as you do?
    For my part I have only one Hungarian friend and I found her on the Internet, too.
    None that I've been able to locate, so far.

I tried to remedy that situation by introducing my wife to the series. She's on Song of Susannah right now and loved it up till Wolves of the Calla. But she's severely put off by the (oft mentioned) meta-fiction turn in SoS. I'm dreading what she's going to make of the ending of the series.

But I'm a happy camper because I finally have someone to discuss the books with over every meal / drive / change of clothes etc.
    "If a God watches over it all, does He actually mete out justice for a race of gnats among an infinitude of races of gnats?
    ...what must the nature of such a God be?"

The Gunslinger

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post

None that I've been able to locate, so far.

I tried to remedy that situation by introducing my wife to the series. She's on Song of Susannah right now and loved it up till Wolves of the Calla. But she's severely put off by the (oft mentioned) meta-fiction turn in SoS. I'm dreading what she's going to make of the ending of the series.

But I'm a happy camper because I finally have someone to discuss the books with over every meal / drive / change of clothes etc.
    I must say you are really lucky. If only I had more Hungarian DT buddies. I have a really good one but we have talked so much about the books we know each other's opinion way too much.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Reviving the thread....

I'm sure Russian translations of TDT book titles have already been posted somewhere, but just to keep all languages in one thread, I'm posting them here.

The Gunslinger/The Drawing Of The Three/The WasteLands - in this edition, they were published in a single big tome - the titles in Russian are: Стрелок (Shooter) / Извлечение Троих (same as in English) / Бесплодные Земли (Sterile/Barren Lands or BadLands)

Wizard and Glass - Колдун и Кристалл (Wizard and Crystal)

Wolves Of the Calla - Волки Кальи (same as English)
    I remember that on the forum dedicated to translating this book (it was set up to help the official translator) there had been quite a discussion about the right way to pronounce the word 'Calla'. I think the one that the translator settled on is Spanish-sounding.

Song Of Susannah - Песнь Сюзанны (same as in English)

The Dark Tower - Темная Башня (same as in English)

If you are going through hell - keep going

Country
    Country Flag

I love the pic in the front. Do you know who the drawer is?

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've just looked it up - it only mentions this on one of the first pages: "decor and computer design by A.A Kudryavtsev" (in Russian the name is spelled А.А. Кудрявцев)

I love these covers, too - very beautifully made.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RainInSpain View Post
    Извлечение Троих (same as in English)
    ah, but that's the point! it's not the same. In English, we don't only have the drawing of the three; we have the Drawers, Detta Walker's place; and Patrick who draws things, and maybe something else I forget at the moment...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

You're right, I did not look at the wider context - it's sort of the same as with Salem's Lot title, discussed in another thread.
    Only here I can't think of a Russian word that would cover all of the connotations. Same old problem again - languages do not map to each other perfectly...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5