Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Matthews Band

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Default Dave Matthews Band

Well it was only a matter of time before I started this thread. As I'm sure you're all aware, I'm a huge fan of this band. And since there's a lot going on for them now, I figured it was an appropriate time.

Their new album Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King is slated to be released on June 2 with the first single hitting airwaves within the next week or so. They are about to embark on their spring tour. And as of last week, they released the first clip with music from the upcoming album. Sounds very promising.

Anyone want to discuss their music?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They've been my favorite band since about '94. My brother and I who have some very personal and spiritual connections to the band and their music, try to see them at the very least once a year, if not twice. And I 'm going to IZOD next Wednesday!!! I can't friggin wait.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Same with me. I've been listening to them since '95. And since that time, they've been my absolute favorite.
    I'm getting so excited about their upcoming tour. Are you going to see them in the summertime as well?
    Enjoy the show!

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah. Me, my brother, and a bunch of our friends have this tradition where we go to the show at Hershey Park, PA every year. They didn't do a show for 2007 (i think) but besides that we've gone every year that they've had a show there for the last 9 years.

That and we always get some random shows once and a while. The last couple of years we saw Dave and Tim at Farm Aid in NY.
    Last edited by Kidd Ikarus; 04-06-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

DMB is one of my top 3 bands. Loved them since the beginning. I play guitar and sing and many of the songs that I do are Dave's.
    Crash
    So Much to Say
    What Would You Say
    Two Step
    Long Black Veil
    Christmas Song
    Jimi Thing
    One Sweet World
    Satellite
    Many more...

I was sick to find out that Leroi Moore died. I've heard that DMB picked up the sax player from The Flecktones. That guy is amazing. He has got some great stuff on YouTube. If they keep this guy, saxaphone and other winds are going to be a much more pronounced section in their music.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, Leroi's death was a tough one. I still get a little choked up when I listen to him just wailing in some of the old songs.

But the new guy is good. Jeff Coffin I think his name is. I still miss Leroi, but this guy is just not human. Some of the sounds that come out of his sax are insane.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

I was devastated when I heard of his passing. This might sound silly, but there was time that I couldn't really listen to any of their music for awhile because it just upset me too much. And honestly, I still get a little sad when I listen to certain songs when his solos come up, but I can also listen to them now and really appreciate them at the same time. It also makes me curious about their upcoming album. I'm assuming all the sax parts on it will be parts that LeRoi recorded before his passing, however I could be wrong.

I really do like Jeff, and I'm glad he's with the band now. I think the songs will sound a bit different as he gets more used to them and starts putting in his own things. I haven't seen him play live with the band yet, but will this summer. I was lucky last year that the show I went to was early in the tour so I at least got to see LeRoi play one last time.

Kidd, have you listened to Dreaming Tree from 6-21-08. The one on the Live Trax 2008 Sampler. Easily my favorite version of that song ever, it gets to me everytime I listen to it.

Country
    Country Flag

It's not silly at all. I've felt the same way.

And yes, I believe I have. They really started playing that song well since they brought it back. But, if you could find Dreaming Tree from Farm Aid 09/09/2007 with just Dave and Tim playing it . . . Wow. That was how that song was meant to be played. It was the first time Dave and Tim had ever played the Dreaming Tree live together and it was just awesome!
    Are sins ever forgiven?

I agree, I love that version. Probably second only to the one I listed above. You know, it's always been one of my favorite songs, but for some reason I always preferred the studio version over live versions until I heard the d&t one and the new ones from this past year. I don't mean this in a bad way because I don't hate Butch or anything, but I really love the '08 sound. Having Timmy back with the band and no keys has definitely changed the sound of the songs. Two Step, Rhyme & Reason, Proudest Monkey just to name a few were all phenomenal this past tour.

Country
    Country Flag

I hear ya, but cry pardon to say it, it is worth it. Just to have Tim as a staple in the band is frikkin unbelievable. The guy is sick. And it just adds that much more to every single song they play. I love that guy.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

wow... been a fan since 96... went to my first show in 2000 and have only missed 2 shows in atlanta since... the best by far was the bonarroo 2005 show... less than 3 weeks and i'll be sitting 19th row right of center in atlanta!

I'm so jealous of you guys. I wish I was going to one of the spring shows. At least mine's only about 2 months away.
    And yes Tim is amazing. I hope he sticks around for awhile.

Country
    Country Flag

Default !

Quote Originally Posted by what View Post
    wow... been a fan since 96... went to my first show in 2000 and have only missed 2 shows in atlanta since... the best by far was the bonarroo 2005 show... less than 3 weeks and i'll be sitting 19th row right of center in atlanta!

Hell yeah! I was at that show. It was awesome. 'Specially with Robert Randolph guesting.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

Country
    Country Flag

No kidding... that was my first experiance with RR and I was blown away! Second best was Trey guesting at the following Atlanta show.

Country
    Country Flag

My brother is actually pretty good friends with Robert Randolph. I had drinks with him a couple of times. He's a cool guy.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgZXnkbVX4o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgZXnkbVX4o[/ame]

The new single dropped today

Country
    Country Flag

5 and a half hours and I'm outta work and on my to show!!! I can't wait!
    Are sins ever forgiven?

Country
    Country Flag

I loved the new single! Have fun Kidd... i'll have my tickets in hand tomorrow!

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks man. My office manager is tryin to make my last couple of hours hell, but she ain't gonna bring me down today!
    Are sins ever forgiven?

Nice, have fun!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I was at the 2005 bonarroo show too. I have talked about it in the bonarroo thread, so I wont say too much. But, wow, what an awesome show. I was right at the stage, until it got too hot, (probably because I had been drinking in the heat all day) and had too move out a little.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Wednesday night was insane!! I had such a good time. Everytime I see them, they prove why they are my favorite band. Awesome show!
    Are sins ever forgiven?

Country
    Country Flag

Set List from Wednesday :

Dave Matthews Band
    2009-04-15
    IZOD Center, East Rutherford, NJ
    Bartender *
    Satellite *
    Granny
    Stay Or Leave *
    Funny The Way It Is *
    Burning Down The House *
    You Might Die Trying *
    Spaceman *
    When The World Ends *
    Crush *
    Recently *
    Corn Bread *
    Why I Am *
    Dancing Nancies *
    Grey Street *
    Two Step *
    Encore:
    The Maker *
    All Along The Watchtower *
    Are sins ever forgiven?

That's a pretty good setlist.
    Glad to hear you had a good time. I downloaded the show but haven't listened to it yet. What do you think of the other new songs they've debuted so far? And I completely agree, they know how to put on a good live show.
    I can't wait for my show to come!! 43 Days to go!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast