Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you believe in theory of multiple universes? (are there other worlds than this?)

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do.

69 85.19%
  • No, I don't.

12 14.81%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: There are others worlds than these.

Along the Path of the Beam The Gasherman is on a distinguished road

I do not believe in them, but I do find the concept fascinating.

SOT, but I have pondered this question often.

When Ake says "there are other worlds than these", does the "these" mean the worlds in this universe as shown to Roland by Walter or does it mean the numerous multiplications of our own world?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Is Roland's world a multiplication of our own world? I think it's different, of a second really distinct type... and that Jake meant worlds other than those.

ETA >>> Nice to meet you. I don't truly believe in alternate universes either; welcome to the minority.
    Last edited by pathoftheturtle; 05-05-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: postscript

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I like the idea that there is another me out there somewhere who has had a much easier journey than my own... but unfortunately I don't know if that other me would have as good of friends as I do now, because of all that I have gone through. All that I have gone through has proven to me what friends I have, and which ones I don't, and has strengthened my bonds. For the ones who aren't my friends haven't stuck by me, and have just evaporated... perhaps into their own little worlds..

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I might be okay with the idea of another me somewhere.... but not with an infinity of them. In every possible situation. That would be horrible.

Along the Path of the Beam The Gasherman is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Is Roland's world a multiplication of our own world? I think it's different, of a second really distinct type... and that Jake meant worlds other than those.

ETA >>> Nice to meet you. I don't truly believe in alternate universes either; welcome to the minority.
    Well it often seems ambiguous throughout the books, but that only adds to the wonder. I was having a hard time phrasing that properly, but you got the idea. I guess no matter which way you fall on that I suppose Jake would have considered it a completely different world at that point in the story anyway. Thanks for the answer.

and nice to meet you also. I don't believe in much of anything that I don't know to be true. I just don't see the point.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, in the end, of course; if any of us like the concept doesn't matter to the question of whether it is true. There are plenty of awful things that I have to believe in in the real world. I've certainly acknowledged the other side, and talked here about reasons suggesting that I may be wrong. But I don't think really that these questions are exactly so complicated: everyone is entitled at least to venture a personal theory. There can be meaning enough in just the thinking itself.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I might be okay with the idea of another me somewhere.... but not with an infinity of them. In every possible situation. That would be horrible.
    That's a very valid point!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

that would, but, as we both once tried to prove to Ka-dan, infinyty does not necessarily mean "every possible"

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure: it's only random infinite replication that's disturbing. Assuming overarching sensibility, it's not necessarily so bad. But the problem of a multiverse with no God is really not much different from that of no God and just a single universe.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Precisely. Which makes additional worries, specific to multiverse, quite superfluous.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

But isn't multiverse itself most likely superfluous, anyway?

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know. It's the only thing that makes time-traveling possible, and metampsychosis redundant. I somehow like both these side-effects. It would also help explain those phenomena people (and bears) recounted in that .net thread I made, about the doors. I am very mistrustful of multiverse idea intellectually and - well, concepptually; spiritually - but emotionally it appeals to me immensely.

My Mood
    Worried

Could you recap what you talked about on .net? It's been so long and I would like to know your view on the multiverses!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, well, that's... huge... but, basically, we were arguing about whether the universes in the Stephen King multiverse could be of infinite number or not, and whether it would make reasonable sense to classify each individual universe as primarily aligned with Purpose or Random. I tried to show that this would beg the question of whether the multiverse as a whole is itself essentially Random or Purposive.
    In fact, if each universe has similar limits and the nature of alternates is only that they vary according to possible arrangements of the same matter over time, then some incredibly large, finite number would be all that was possible before some precisely duplicated others. An endless variation could come from a supremely creative God, but that calls into question many other presumptions about the basic nature of those alternate universes.

My Mood
    Worried

Wow... that was so scientific it turned me on.

Sorry, smarts are hot!

Traveler know thyself is on a distinguished road know thyself's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One way to prove there are other worlds is to travel todash and visit a few. Too bad we can't just go to the store and buy some of those handy Manni plumb bobs they use help channel energy to allow for this travel. Haha

https://pawnshop-ghosts.com/shop?ols...yle-decoration

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5