Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Graphic Novel of All Time – NOMINATIONS NOW CLOSED !!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Default The Best Graphic Novel of All Time – NOMINATIONS NOW CLOSED !!

The time has finally come, Comic Tower Junkies!!

Please use this thread to make your nominations for
    the Best Graphic Novel of All Time!!!

Each person can nominate two ( 2 ) different Graphic Novels as the Best.

We expect to keep this thread open for nominations for approximately two weeks, or 100 total nominations, which ever comes first.

Once we have a list of all the GNs nominated - we’ll put all the nominees into groups and polls and then the voting will begin. We’ll use a random picker for which GNs go against which.

Please recall - We’ve decided on the following criteria to define exactly what we feel a Graphic Novel is:
    • Graphic Novels must tell a full story or story arc.
    • Graphic Novels are not multiple, separate stories ( that's a compilation ).
    • Graphic Novels are not just collections of a title ( such as the Marvel Masterpiece books ).
    We’ll track the nominations and who made them, so you can refer to the list as we go. If you change your mind, that's okay, just post again and we'll update the list.

We look forward to your participation!

FYI : Sam and I will be working on this project together!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default OFFICIAL NOMINATIONS LIST

This Is The Official Nominations List folks and will list each nomination as it is recognised by turtlex and myself. If there are any questions regarding whether your nomination qualifies, please feel free to pm either turtlex or myself. Once we have had the nominations open for two weeks (thats April 10th) OR we receive 100 nominations, we will sort the nominated books and prepare for the carnage, um, voting to begin.

Now, let's BRING ON THE NOMINATIONS!!!

1. The Crow by James O'Barr - nominated by SiqTauGimp
    2. Maus by Art Spiegelman - nominated by pookie
    3. Ultimate Spiderman: Death Of A Goblin by Brian Michael Bendis - nominated by flaggwalkstheline
    4. Johnny The Homicidal Maniac by Jhonen Vasquez - nominated by flaggwalkstheline
    5. Judge Dredd: America by John Wagner - nominated by DoctorDodge
    6. Brodie's Law: Project Jameson by Daley Osiyemi - nominated by DoctorDodge
    7. Sam & Max Surfing The Highway by Steve Purcell - nominated by LadyHitchhiker
    8. The Maxx, Volume 6 by Sam Kieth - nominated by LadyHitchhiker
    9. From Hell by Alan Moore - nominated by Brice
    10. Preacher: Alamo by Garth Ennis - nominated by Arthur Heath
    11. V for Vendetta by Alan Moore - nominated by Arthur Heath
    12. Tale of One Bad Rat by Bryan Talbot - nominated by oy-the-brave
    13. Blankets by Craig Thompson - nominated by oy-the-brave
    14. Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth by Grant Morrision - nominated by Seymour Glass
    15. Invisibles: The Invisible Kingdom by Grant Morrison - nominated by Seymore Glass
    16. Megatokyo Volume 3 by Fred Gallagher - nominated by razz
    17. X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga by Chris Claremont - nominated by turtlex
    18. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller - nominated by Matt
    19. Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore - nominated by Matt
    20. The Sandman: Season of Mists by Neil Gaiman - nominated by Aaron
    21. Fables: March of the Wooden Soldiers by Bill Willingham - nominated by Aaron
    22. Bone by Jeff Smith - nominated by SiqTauGimp
    23. Watchmen by Alan Moore - nominated by Kidd Ikarus
    24. X-Men: X-Cutioner's Song by Scott Lobdell, Fabian Nicieza, and Peter David - nominated by Kidd Ikarus
    25. Kingdom Come by Mark Waid - nominated by Sam
    26. Tank Girl by Alan Martin - nominated by soylentjillian
    27. Transmetropolitan: Back on the Street by Warren Ellis - nominated by soylentjillian
    28. The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home by Robin Furth and Peter David - nominated by The Lady of Shadows
    29. The Dark Tower: Treachery by Robin Furth and Peter David - nominated by The Lady of Shadows
    30. X-Men: X-tinction Agenda by Chris Claremont - nominated by turtlex
    31. The Invisibles : Say You Want A Revolution by Grant Morrison - nominated by feverishparade
    32. X-Men : The Messiah Complex by Ed Brubaker, Mike Carey, Peter David, Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost - nominated by feverishparade
    33. Locke and Key: Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill - nominated by Heather19
    34. Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson - nominated by The Cosmic Geek
    35. Fables: Homelands by Bill Willingham - nominated by The Cosmic Geek
    36. Love and Rockets: Maggie the Mechanic by Gilbert Hernandez and Jaime Hernandez - nominated by sarajean
    37. 300 by Frank Miller - nominated by sarajean
    38. Alias by Brian Michael Bendis - nominated by Sam
    39. A History of Violence by John Wagner - nominated by Mad Man
    40. Frank Miller's Robocop by Frank Miller and Juan Jose Ryp - nominated by Mad Man
    41. Hewligan's Haircut by Jamie Hewlett - nominated by Darkthoughts
    42. The Sandman: World's End by Neil Gaiman - nominated by Darkthoughts
    43. Batman: Dark Victory by Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale - nominated by Ari Racing
    44. Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale - nominated by Ari Racing

Update : !! Graphic Novel Give-Away !!

As our way of saying thanks to everyone who makes a nomination for the Best Graphic Novel of All Time, we'll be giving away two graphic novels to one of you.

Everyone who makes a nomination will be eligible ( 1 entry per person ) and automatically entered in this give-away.

That's all you have to do to win - just nominate one or two of your favorite graphic novels as one of the Best.

Once we have our finalized list of nominations -

We will draw a name at random from those who have nominated a GN ...
    ... and then draw a name of one of the nominated GNs.

The winning name drawn will get the random graphic novel as well as the grahic novel which ultimately wins this poll !

So... just for being part of our community and participating in this process - you have a chance to win TWO GREAT Graphic Novels!

So make your nominations and get in on the fun and prizes!

Aaron, Matt, Sam and turtlex will not be eligible for this give-away.

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll throw in "The Crow", and "Bones", if they're eligible and not already nominated. Cool?

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

My Mood
    Gay

Sig - By The Crow, I assume you mean the first GN? There have been quite a few, so we'll assume the original and best well known, unless you let us know otherwise. ( an excellent choice, btw )

I couldn't find anything called "Bones" unless you mean Jeff Smith's Bone? In which case, let us know which one, again there are a bunch.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Along the Path of the Beam pookie is on a distinguished road pookie's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd like to nominate Maus by Art Spiegelman. Such unique symbolism and style yet so moving. I wanted to touch the pages to somehow put myself into them to live and feel, to share, what the characters were going through.

My Mood
    Gay

Maus is one of my favorites, too!

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I would Like To Nominate
    Ultimate Spiderman volume 19: Death Of a Goblin

Its the final story arc involving the osbornes in the ultimate universe and its absolutely incredible, right through the final bloodsoaked pages, It is Ultimate spidermans' apex (though I have faith bendis will top it)

Norman Osborne breaks out of jail and goes on national television to proclaim the violation of his human rights by nick fury, havok ensues

When Norman Beats his son Harry to death and then tells Carol Danvers to kill him because he's realized what kind of monster he has become inside now as well as outside and she blows his brains out, spiderman is left holding his friends mangled corpse as the only person on the bridge who isnt a cold blooded murderer
    its the most intense thing I've ever read in a comic book (and yes I have read the staples like watchmen and the dark knight returns)
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Gay

You got it, flagg... a Bendis title. No surprise there - he's an amazing writer.

Don't forget people - you can nominate TWO !!!

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

2!!!!

alright my second nomination is
    Johnny The Homicidal Maniac by Jhonen vasquez
    Sick, evil, sad and funny its got everything, its like a mixture of the Saw films and Hate (which I almost nominated somebody quick nominate buddy does seattle!)
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Gay

You got it !!!

... oh, the first or the Director's Cut?

I put the original, but let me know if you want to change it.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm happy to see people nominating, but I'm sad that we are already almost a day into the nominations and just have a few yet. What do ou want from us folks, blood? Come on, nominate your TWO, yes TWO, favorite Graphic Novels. Who knows, your nomination may be the very one that wins. But you'll never know if you don't nominate. Like Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs, we need your help.

Who's the best? Only YOU can tell us.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I nominate Sam and Max if that will count, which I think it should, but it may not based on your qualifications.

My Mood
    Gay

LH - The only Sam & Max I can find is called Sam & Max Surfin the Highway and according to the description is actually a comic collection, not a graphic novel.

Does it tell an actual story, or story arc? Do you have a different title? Or rather, a specific one? Do you recall the name of the one that you specifically have? I could be completely off base with what I am finding.

Please double check and post.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, since i get to have two choices up, i nominate Judge Dredd: America by John Wagner, obviously, and thankee sai very much to both turtlex and sam for making it clear that it can be nominated, and, erm...

Brodie's Law: Project Jameson by Daley Osiyemi. Another obscure British title, but absolutely brilliant: dark, messed up psychologically wise, and GREAT moody art with a GREAT moody story. Pure awesomeness!

Although i'd be very pleased if LadyHitchhiker's nomination of Sam & Max makes the list!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Gay

You got it DoctorDodge...

... and I'm hoping for Sam & Max, too. Just waiting on LH to get back to me with some detail.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Sam & Max Surfing the Highway is recognized as a "comic collection" but almost all of those individual comics have been turned into tv episodes, and as the stories go on, they do have a minor story arc and almost all of the stories are connected in some way, but not probably as prominent as some other stories previously nominated. So like I said, I don't know if they'll count under these circumstances, but I thought it would be worth the shot

I have the grapic novel almost memorized, so that's why I thought I would love to include them in our contest. I don't think they were ever published as "comics" in a newspaper - not to my knowledge, but maybe I overlooked that - so as far as I know they went straight to graphic novel, but it has been a long time.

If I can't have my Sam & Max though, I would like to nominate The MAXX. Now that is a yummy graphic novel as well. Not nearly as funny as Sam & Max, but excellent.
    That one for sure would follow your criteria.

Reading back on the technicalities, Sam & Max probably WON'T work in THIS contest because they are multiple stories though

My Mood
    Gay

If there's a story arc there, then it's in !

I'll add it to the list !

My Mood
    Worried

W00t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankye sai much big big!!!!!!

My Mood
    Gay

LH - You get to nominate 2 graphic novels, so if you want to also nominate The MAXX - then find one of the GNs and list it please. There are multiple different MAXX graphic novels !

My Mood
    Worried

*faints from excitement*

Wow! I missed that!!!! I get to nominate 2????

I would have to go with "The Maxx 6" then because it really wows the brain.

My Mood
    Gay

Just added, LH.

Yes, everyone, you get to nominate 2 graphic novels as the best !!

My Mood
    Worried

Thanks for the boldness for future ADD readers!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll nominate From Hell. I was going to nominate The Crow, but SigTauGimp beat me to it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Gay

You got it, man!

If you think of a second one to nominate, just post it!

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

My nomination(s)
    Preacher - Vol. 9 - Alamo
    V for Vendetta
    So hard to just pick two. I have two catagories when it comes to GN's. Litterary and just damn sweet. I tried to pick one of each.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast